Your self-concious video belongs here

rugerpc

A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ
Hans threw down the gauntlet.

You can post your video of you playing here. I ask that the posters not take the comments as abusive as I ask the the responders/critics be constructive, not cruel.

Edit: I'm told the sentence above needs work. "I ask posters not take comments as abusive, as I ask responders to be constructive instead of cruel."

My own post will have to wait until I return just after New Years, but I commit here and now to post a short vid of my beautiful new qoldtop piezo through my crate acoustic amp.

Edit: If you have chops and you know it, Mike has a thread for you: Show-Us-YOUR-Youtube-Vids Soundcloud Band Webpage Links Etc

Last edited:
Saving my space, just so that when I post, I can be called number 2 and not get insulted!!

See Post #5 for an embarassing explanation of what you are going to witness. The good news is that its only about 40 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can post your video of you playing here. I ask that the posters not take the comments as abusive as I ask the the responders/critics be constructive, not cruel.

This sentence could have been SO much better! :wink:

As long as no one smacks me when I screw up again.

Screw it....I see that everyone is posting, but "beating around the bush". Crap...I'll break the ice...go back to post #2 and check out the video from when I first "learned" to play "Beat it"...Yeah...I know it sucks....but after all...I get to do a nasty guitar face at the conclusion.

Played on a 1994 "1st 100 Mac" and the first (and last) time I ever used "drop D" tuning.

This sentence could have been SO much better! :wink:

There are two sentences there. :wink:

I suppose that the second sentence might have been better.

I'll have another stab at it...

"I ask posters not take comments as abusive, as I ask responders to be constructive instead of cruel."

And for our next exercise, as we await more videos, we shall all try to fix that sentence. Your new sentence must be polite and affirmative. It should be encouraging without being overly fawning. It needs to convey that posted video may get what appear to be gratuitously negative comments. It should encourage the posting member to never the less view those comments in the most positive of lights. It should encourage viewing members to comment constructively and supportingly. It should chide viewing members not to be overly critical or cruel.

Screw it....I see that everyone is posting, but "beating around the bush". Crap...I'll break the ice...go back to post #2 and check out the video from when I first "learned" to play "Beat it"...Yeah...I know it sucks....but after all...I get to do a nasty guitar face at the conclusion.

Played on a 1994 "1st 100 Mac" and the first (and last) time I ever used "drop D" tuning.

You, sir, are a brave man! But you did very nicely.

Tone's a little thin, too much gain.

This was at our most recent show. We aren't that great, but a lot of friends and some beers going around always makes for a good time!

Played the Akesson through the SE30 that night (first gig for both) and it was a great combo.

This was at our most recent show. We aren't that great, but a lot of friends and some beers going around always makes for a good time!

Played the Akesson through the SE30 that night (first gig for both) and it was a great combo.

Sounded great Andy!

Crowd looked like they where enjoying themselves - always makes for a great gig!

You, sir, are a brave man! But you did very nicely.

Tone's a little thin, too much gain.

I'd agree with this. You don't suck Doc... Not even close!

All that was wrong - as Les said - was that the tone was a little thin. Just needs beefing up a touch. You can definately play man!

Hey...thanks a lot...made my day! I don't fool myself with my (lack of) talent...I just find that I have the minimal competence to have a lot of fun playing along to my favorite tunes. At this point in life, my aspirations go no further then to tell my daughter to prepare for me playing at her upcoming wedding next year.

As far as the gain...I use A LOT as you can tell...I have always compared gain/distortion/overdrive to Basement Ceiling Tile. It covers up A LOT of mistakes. :):)

Amazing and unnecessary self deprecation there....IMO that could have been Thin Lizzy themselves playing on the stereo.....excellent cover and excellent tone!!!!

Amazing and unnecessary self deprecation there....IMO that could have been Thin Lizzy themselves playing on the stereo.....excellent cover and excellent tone!!!!

Thanks! But I have to admit, the iPhone mic that recorded this was also a lot like ceiling tile!

As far as the gain...I use A LOT as you can tell...I have always compared gain/distortion/overdrive to Basement Ceiling Tile. It covers up A LOT of mistakes. :):)

I know gain can be a crutch, but you have nice gear, and you can make it sound really good if you experiment a little. I'd reduce the gain a little, turn the treble down, and pull the bass up a bit. And allow yourself to just turn down the gain as much as you can stand.

The tone of a hive of angry bees isn't flattering.

Here's a show I played in 2006 that was professionally shot. the audio's not great, guitars are sorta buried. This was Pre-PRS for me.

Here's something more recent. Once again the audio is not so great, skip past the early part and the buzz goes away. Also, I was playing through my 15 watt Egnater Tweaker instead of my usual TOL50 so the tone isn't quite as good.

Right on, I used to cover that sometimes (special occasions) in my old band Minibosses. One time we opened for Sound of Urchin and Tomato did vocals. It was terrible, we hadn't practiced it in months! But it was fun.

I know gain can be a crutch, but you have nice gear, and you can make it sound really good if you experiment a little. I'd reduce the gain a little, turn the treble down, and pull the bass up a bit. And allow yourself to just turn down the gain as much as you can stand. The tone of a hive of angry bees isn't flattering.

I think I will wait until New Year's Eve...wait until we all get home....wait until I am the only one left awake....wait until I am in a sufficiently altered state.....wait until the altered state becomes even more sufficient....then we'll give that clean tone a fair shake, post the video..... and I can always claim that I was too "David Crosby'ed" to get it right. :laugh:

Back