Your first live concert?

Embarrassed to say ...Commodores ... around 80 ish...

Don't be embarrassed. I probably attended the same... the In The Pocket tour... I rawked their v-neck concert shirt for years after.

VmPnpak.jpg

January 29th, 1978 KISS Alive II Tour...Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center...I was in 4th grade got my cool uncle and his hawt girlfriend took me...it was a night of first..I'll never forget...first concert, first naked woman (cool uncles hawt girlfriend was stepping out of the shower as we walked in before the concert) and to top it off, got my first second hand weed smoke buzz...it was one of the best nights if my young life....oh who am I kidding?!My entire life ever!

I saw a ton of Pete Seeger's Clearwater Festival stuff as a kid, but my first rock show was Huey Lewis and the News @ Three Rivers Stadium when I was doing a summer pre-college jazz program at Carnegie Mellon - 7/21/1992.

If I had been cooler, woulda caught the G'n'R/Metallica show there 5 days later...

But I was still in my cherry red Jazz Bass Plus V days.

This one doesn't really count but the first major show I saw at a concert hall was Sam Kinison in 1988 at Devos Hall, Grand Rapids, MI (although he did play the piano at the end lol). The first full concert I attended was on July 24, 1990. Joe Satriani at Kalamazoo's State Theatre with Stevie Salas Colorcode opening up. Excellent show!

A sad side note: I was originally planning to go to Stevie Ray Vaughn's Friday, August 24th show (also in Kalamazoo at the County Fair) but I missed it due to freshman orientation at college. 3 days later, SRV would perish.

Last edited:
Back