You Know What Hurts?

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
A %^&%ing needle in the eye.

Oh, details?

I've had a growth on my eye for quite a few years now. Never really paid any attention to it because it never bothered me. Last fall, I noticed if I looked all the way to my left, it was visible in certain conditions. That seemed to get worse, so I finally saw a doctor about it a couple weeks ago.

Doc came in, looked at my eye and said those words you always want to hear a doc say - "Yeah, that won't be a problem," followed by the ones you never want to hear - "I'm not worried about that, I'm more concerned about this." I thought it was a patch of dead skin on my eyelid - he's concerned it may be something more. Gave me a cream for it, looked at it today, said it looks a bit better, but he wants to monitor it.

But the main reason for today's visit was the growth. I had a choice two weeks ago - outpatient surgery under sedation, which meant a hospital visit, or do it in the office under a local. Said it would be maybe about half an hour. I decided to do it in the office.

He came in, took a look at the eyelid and a couple pics of it, and said to hop up on the table. That's when my wife vamoosed (she's not good with blood and cutting). He told me about the shots, that I'd feel a pinch followed by some stinging and maybe some burning. First shot - no issue. Second shot, about the same. Felt a little stinging on the third shot, and a little pain from the shot. Those were all on the side of my head. Number four? To the inside of the growth, not quite in the eye, but very near the tear duct there.

Mentally, I went through a lot of my vocabulary.

But after that, the growth came off pretty easily (from what he said - I had my eye closed, not that I'd have seen anything anyway). I could feel him working, but no pain from that. The weirdest sensation was the thread dragging across my eyelid when he stitched it up. He gave me a mirror afterwards and said he thought it would heal up nicely. Seriously? I said, "If it looks like this when it's done, I'll be more than happy." You couldn't even tell I'd had anything done.

Back in three weeks for a follow-up. Very minor discomfort tonight, a little bleeding and pain when I yawned earlier and kind of scrunched up my eyes reflexively. I was out of the office in under 15 minutes. The look on my wife's face was hysterical - like I was the last person she expected to walk out. Oh, and no bandages, either - she said our daughter will be disappointed because she was hoping I'd have a patch. Very happy with the doc - there was just an article that rated him one of the best in the area (rankings were done by other docs). Not hard to see why.

our daughter will be disappointed because she was hoping I'd have a patch.

I'm a little disappointed too, eyepatches are a rad look. At X-mas we went out to see some RuPaul Drag Race concert and our friend shows up with an eyepatch over her eye... Dammit, such a good look! She looked like an eastern european villain out of a James Bond film, and immediately got respect from everyone we met that evening.

Even if you don't need it I suggest you get one, just watch out for stairs.

Ok, glad everything went well, but you really should have asked for the eye patch! For exactly the reason Sergio mentioned. Plus, when you yell out Arghhhh matey, and wave around that tankard of rum, it's just not the same sans patch.

I'm a little disappointed too, eyepatches are a rad look. At X-mas we went out to see some RuPaul Drag Race concert and our friend shows up with an eyepatch over her eye... Dammit, such a good look! She looked like an eastern european villain out of a James Bond film, and immediately got respect from everyone we met that evening.

Even if you don't need it I suggest you get one, just watch out for stairs.

Ok, glad everything went well, but you really should have asked for the eye patch! For exactly the reason Sergio mentioned. Plus, when you yell out Arghhhh matey, and wave around that tankard of rum, it's just not the same sans patch.

Agree...plus you can switch it to the other eye when no one is looking and see who is paying attention.
(Glad things went well...)

.. and wave around that tankard of rum, it's just not the same sans patch.

I recommend clear liquor when wearing an eyepatch. I had an incident with an eyepatch, some red wine, yellow pants, and a reclining lawn chair that I don't wish to repeat.

"Cross my heart and hope to die. Stick a needle in my eye." That'll teach you!

Now when someone says "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick" you can verify the accuracy of their statement.

Sounds like it went well...which is always great news...one of my child-like fears is things near my eye, so you win a prize for that $hit!!!
Bully for going in the first place...I hit 50 a few years back and the medical fun is what they are always talking about when they say life starts at 50.
Good to nip this stuff in the bud (butt!!) Hope all heals quickly, Alan.

Perhaps, but the parrot **** on your shoulder outweighs the positives in my opinion.

I was about to say a paper cut, but that sounds way worse :D. Getting a needle in the eye always sounds brutal. My dad just got cataract surgery on both of his eyes a month or so ago, didn't sound fun at all.

Back