Yet Another HX/DA Love-In

Bennett, if it makes you feel any better, a week or so ago, a few guys at TGP were dissing the paisley amps in a thread, and I responded to that by pointing out that paisley is a high-end tradition for PRS, and that paisley in general on amps (and even guitars like Teles) is a classic thing that got started in the 60s with the mod style and was also picked up during the psychedelic era. So I've actually come to the defense of the fancy amps.

As I point this out I'm listening to pro football on the radio, and my Ford F-150 ad just came on. Woo!

OK...I feel better for three things now....1) your first paragraph and its content therein...2) your commercial on the radio....How freakin' exciting for you. Congratulations!!....and 3) You called me by my real name.

A Trifecta. :) Gonna run out and buy a lottery ticket!! :D

OK...I feel better for three things now....1) your first paragraph and its content therein...2) your commercial on the radio....How freakin' exciting for you. Congratulations!!....and 3) You called me by my real name.

A Trifecta. :) Gonna run out and buy a lottery ticket!! :D

The commercials have been running all over TV on sporting events this past week. I didn't expect to hear radio versions. So far there have been three versions today alone!

Les, have you spent much time swapping out cabs and/or speakers? Are you using the PRS 2x12 closed back w/ V30s? I don't recall.

Les, have you spent much time swapping out cabs and/or speakers? Are you using the PRS 2x12 closed back w/ V30s? I don't recall.

I haven't spent any time trying out cabs or speakers. I've been using a recent closed-back Mesa Recto 2 x 12 cab with V-30s for an ongoing ad campaign; it sounds very good with the amp, and is easy to get a good general-purpose recorded tone with. Also, the rig works with a lot of the "usual suspect" mics I tend to favor to record guitar amps.

At some point down the road, I'll be able to spend some time experimenting. I'd love to try a PRS cab with it, and am curious about the 4 x 10 especially. But for now...I'm good.

And...yet another HXDA post!

So last night I was practicing, and as I am wont to do, I decided to play around with a little TC Nova delay pedal I had lying around. I couldn't resist going for a clean, dark jazzy tone, neck pickup on the SC58, with volume around 6-7, tone around 5-7, with just the slightest touch of breakup if I rolled the volume knob higher.

Everything was completely controllable from the guitar, except of course the pedal. If I wanted a little more treble, I could goose the knob, if I wanted a touch of breakup, hit the volume control on the guitar.

Between the amp and the guitar, I got some unbelievably gorgeous tones! This is with an SC-58, a Mesa Recto cab with V-30s, and a Plexi style amp that can do some pretty gainy stuff!! And no FX loop, no channel switching, just this great amp with everything in front.

I just gotta say this: For those who say, "Well, I need an X amp for my clean tones, and a Y amp for my middle gain tones, and a Z amp for the higher gain stuff," I call BS. Sure, it's nice to have choices, and we all love our amps. But if you can't get a huge variety out of something like an HXDA, you just aren't trying. What versatility!

Back