Yes or No ??? Opinions needed

Looks great to me, but I wonder why nobody said:

Where are the rest of the pictures????

Here’s a few.....

EWoqmlp.jpg

DfyOFjV.jpg

paZYnHn.jpg

Now we are talking...
Excellent top and unique color. Never seen such a blue burst on a vintage PRS...

Yes, it may be one of the first blue bursts. Under the bride pickup it says “blue burst” and a 7 before the serial number. Must have been started in late 1987 completed in 1988 (I said 89 in original post that was a mistake). The back of the headstock serial starts with an 8 for 1988. The headstock, neck back , body-sides, and body back is actually a very,very dark blue, looks black in most light but in bright light you see blue tint.

Ok, I have to get this off my mind and by doing so I’ll be opening myself up to some ridicule, but I need to make the proper decision and be done with it. I purchased a 89 Cust24 with headstock signature, it must have spent some considerable time exposed to sun light over the years for the signature under the finish has faded quite a bit. I’ve been considering sending it to PTC for it get the headstock/neck refinish if Paul agrees to resign the headstock. My question should I? My gut tells me leave it alone, keep it original but I can’t help but wonder if the signature will disappear altogether. I keep my guitars in their cases when I’m not playing them so hopefully it won’t fade anymore for as long as I have it. Fire away and give me your options. Thanks.

jGjvYDY.jpg

I'd say leave it alone... The only thing I'd consider doing to it is finding out if theres anything the PTC could do to protect the signature from further fading... If it were my guitar, I wouldnt want the signature to be 100% gone in 5 years. It looks cool now but I'd look for a way to protect it.

If they say NO then I'd leave it be.

Yes, it may be one of the first blue bursts. Under the bride pickup it says “blue burst” and a 7 before the serial number. Must have been started in late 1987 completed in 1988 (I said 89 in original post that was a mistake). The back of the headstock serial starts with an 8 for 1988. The headstock, neck back , body-sides, and body back is actually a very,very dark blue, looks black in most light but in bright light you see blue tint.
I know it’s a typo (auto-correct), but I think you’ve stumbled onto something.

Bridge - Bride

Neck - Groom

Imagine the next YouTube video -

“Ok guys I’m gonna play a little on the “Groom” pick up, to get that vintage Gary Moore vibe.”

“Ok, now the Bride pickup for that Angus vibe”

In about 40 years time, all the kids will be wanting a vintage set of “Bride and Groom” PAFs :D

Ok I admit it,@ScottR has the meds today and I’ve slipped out of my padded room without the nurse seeing!:confused::eek:

I'd say leave it alone... The only thing I'd consider doing to it is finding out if theres anything the PTC could do to protect the signature from further fading... If it were my guitar, I wouldnt want the signature to be 100% gone in 5 years. It looks cool now but I'd look for a way to protect it.

If they say NO then I'd leave it be.

PTC told me keep it out of direct sunlight and it shouldn’t fade any further. I believe the guitar must of been on display in sunlight (through a window) before I owned it. Thanks for reply.

I know it’s a typo (auto-correct), but I think you’ve stumbled onto something.

Bridge - Bride

Neck - Groom

Imagine the next YouTube video -

“Ok guys I’m gonna play a little on the “Groom” pick up, to get that vintage Gary Moore vibe.”

“Ok, now the Bride pickup for that Angus vibe”

In about 40 years time, all the kids will be wanting a vintage set of “Bride and Groom” PAFs :D

Ok I admit it,@ScottR has the meds today and I’ve slipped out of my padded room without the nurse seeing!:confused::eek:

LOL.!! Yes you need your MEDS! Sad thing is the that damn bride and groom pickup reference will stay in my head!

Damn auto correct !!! :p:D

PTC told me keep it out of direct sunlight and it shouldn’t fade any further. I believe the guitar must of been on display in sunlight (through a window) before I owned it. Thanks for reply.

Cool! If it were mine, I'd keep a close eye on it and if it faded just a little bit more, I'd ask them for additional ideas. I know I had a maple headstock with Paul's signature and they just applied lacquer over it and it looked great... I'd think that they could do something like that.

Cool! If it were mine, I'd keep a close eye on it and if it faded just a little bit more, I'd ask them for additional ideas. I know I had a maple headstock with Paul's signature and they just applied lacquer over it and it looked great... I'd think that they could do something like that.

The signature is under the finish. UV is not good for it. I keep my guitars in cases when I’m not playing them. Some people hang them on the wall where they’re exposed to sunlight, same with some guitar stores. I traced the guitar back to once it was at a guitar center. Probably hung around for a long time or displayed in a front window. I’ve seen several other older PRS with faded signatures, probably left out of their cases on display, some with no fading but obviously played a lot probably stored in the case when not being played.

The signature is under the finish. UV is not good for it. I keep my guitars in cases when I’m not playing them. Some people hang them on the wall where they’re exposed to sunlight, same with some guitar stores. I traced the guitar back to once it was at a guitar center. Probably hung around for a long time or displayed in a front window. I’ve seen several other older PRS with faded signatures, probably left out of their cases on display, some with no fading but obviously played a lot probably stored in the case when not being played.

Yeah I get it. I've just never seen one as faded as yours before... They must have left it in direct light for many years. I'd figure that the rest of the guitar would indicate major finish changes as well. Dave of Daves has a number of ancient PRS instruments, some faded, some not but none where siggy is near gone. Either way, I'd just keep an eye on it.

Back