Yes. It's worth it.

mad monk

Your father's Oldsmobile
More than a few wonder if sending their guitar to the PTC for a setup would really make that much of a difference.
I bought a used SCT, and was pretty happy with it. I loved the action, and the way it felt in my hands. The previous owner had changed string gauges, and made adjustments to accomodate that. I did change the pickups, putting in a pair of 59/09s, and went back to 9s.
I've done my own stoptail setups forever. Fairly easy. It seemed to me that the trem on this guitar was a little high, and I just couldn't seem to get a good balance between the bridge and neck pickups. The trem height with the individual height adjustments for each string that have two screws for each, and the potential to screw up the knife edge by not getting the trem height screws right prompted me to get it done by the PTC.
I'm fortunate to live close enough that I could make the drive for a while-u-wait appt. Today was my day, and it was great! After a brief discussion of the issues, it was off to the table.
The result was immediately noticeable! As good as it felt before; it felt better. My thoughts were confirmed about the trem height, and it looked better, too!
As soon as I got home, I spent time with it before I posted this. I wanted to make sure that everything I felt at first held up after playing through my setup.
Thank you, PTC. And to anyone who wonders if it's worth it...Yes. It's worth it.

Agreed. I sent a CE24 for a fret level and set up. Sure it cost a little more than having a luthier do it locally, but I've done that before and wasn't happy with the results. I once sent my Cu24 Artist package to a supposedly great local guy. He actually had the audacity to point to the smallest of finish nicks, that I put on the guitar and tell me PRS doesn't do such a great QC job as people think. After he criticized the tone, I paid and walked out knowing that I'd never go back. The PTC was a completely pleasant experience.

I've had setups at the PTC, too. Best I've ever had, the results made me feel like a rock star.

Back