Aaron Lee

Not sure if this is the location I should place this question but it seemed like the most appropriate place.

The dealer I purchased my Silver Sky from did not remove the "PRS Please remove..." sticker/plastic film after he sold it to me.

I removed it when I got home and noticed that there was a pearly white rectangle where the sticker used to cover. It's as if the pickguard got a "sunburn" and the sticker left a "tan line."

I'm suspecting that the dealer sold me a used guitar from someone who didn't take the sticker/film off as the date on the tag states 4/17/18. I purchased it on 6/29/18.

Anything I can do to remove the yellow from the pick guard?

You should address this with the dealer first. Messing around with remedies might give you no recourse with them later.

I recently purchased a silver sky. The pick guard is not the same white as the pick ups and knobs. The pick guard has somewhat of a yellow tint. Is this common or is the pick guard a blemish?

I have the same situation. What did you end up doing? Was it a used guitar in which the previous owner did not remove the sticker?

Not sure if this is the location I should place this question but it seemed like the most appropriate place.

The dealer I purchased my Silver Sky from did not remove the "PRS Please remove..." sticker/plastic film after he sold it to me.

I removed it when I got home and noticed that there was a pearly white rectangle where the sticker used to cover. It's as if the pickguard got a "sunburn" and the sticker left a "tan line."

I'm suspecting that the dealer sold me a used guitar from someone who didn't take the sticker/film off as the date on the tag states 4/17/18. I purchased it on 6/29/18.

Anything I can do to remove the yellow from the pick guard?

I recently purchased a SS. The pick guard seems to have yellowed around the PRS sticker and does not match the color of the knobs. Is this common on the white pick guards? Is the pick guard a blemish? Or did I buy a guitar that may have been previously owned and the owner did not remove the sticker, so over time it yellowed around it?

Give it time and the white spot will age into the same color.

They probably haven't been on the market long enough for any one specimen to start aging color wise. Might just be a flaw that came with the instrument. Those different plastics age differently anyway. I have a 95 strat with all original plastic, the pick guard turned parchment, the knobs turned yellow along with the switch tip, and the pickup covers are snow white..and they are all 23 yrs. old.

I have the same situation. What did you end up doing? Was it a used guitar in which the previous owner did not remove the sticker?
The dealer said it was not a used guitar. He called his PRS rep and asked for a new pick guard for me. We’ll see how the new one looks.

I never updated this thread with the results. So the dealer got a new pick guard from PRS sent to me and I had another PRS dealer install it for me. Here are the before and after pics. You can see the full "tan lines" around where the volume/tone knobs were.

suntan by yeequon, on Flickr
new by yeequon, on Flickr

Overall happy with the installation.

Old 60s Strat 3 ply pickguards go "mint green" over time. It's such a thing that you can buy new "mint green" 3 ply pickguards for that aged look. It's partly down to the black ply underneath the top white one affecting the shade once it starts to yellow.
I'm afraid white plastic parts are notorious for yellowing. Still, your pictures do show quite a bit of colour change for such new guitar. I suspect the dealer must have had the guitar hung somewhere in strong sunlight for a couple of months.

Best thing is to take your now spare pickguard and place it somewhere sunny for a bit so that the tan lines can also tan, and then you'll have a spare one ready for if you need it. Or you could sell it as an aged silver sky pickguard. Good money in the aged parts market.

Back