Xotic EP Booster Revisited - DG30 Content

László

Too Many Notes
I was out and about today, and stopped in at GC. They had an EP Booster I spotted, and I decided to give one another try.

I don't remember if the first time I had one I had the DG30 at the same time. Memory tells me I didn't. But if I did, the DG30 wasn't broken in yet. Anyway, I bought the thing, simply to try it with the DG30 in its current state. I'm aware that at one time Grissom used one with his DG30, and I figured that it would give me a different flavor with the amp than the boost on my FD3.

OK, I'll cut to the chase: the EP Booster is really great with the DG30. For some reason it compliments the amp's tone well.

Where I wasn't crazy about it with the HXDA (still have to re-test that one just to see again), it's a great fit with the DG30. In fact, it's almost the finishing touch.

I'm using it with the DIP switches set 3db and bright. I'm not giving it much boost, maybe 5-6 db, just enough to add a little bit of subtle high mid grit, some sparkle, etc. I'll bet I wind up leaving it on most of the time with the DG30. It also stacks nicely with the FD3. What's not to like? It's a nice piece.

And it is super-nice with my 408 in all switch settings. Haven't tried it with any others yet.

When I find a piece in the puzzle that really enhances my tone, I feel as good as if I'd discovered the theory of relativity. ;)

Most of the time, I feel like this version of Albert....

Einstein_tongue.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the time, I feel like this version of Albert....

Einstein_tongue.jpg

He was looking at Marilyn Monroe when that was taken.

Albert was quite the ladies' man (this part is true).

The other good news is that I sport the very same haircut.

"You call that a haircut?"

"Not really."

Hairdoo maybe?

In any case, if you ever get the chance, try out an Xotic BB with the DG30. Far and away my favorite pedal with it. I've tried the EP booster as well, but to my ear, while nice....there is a certain.....low-fi quality to it for lack of a better word. Not a bad thing at all, but the BB dials in grit to the clean tone in a different (and more transparent way to me) way...

Hairdoo maybe?

In any case, if you ever get the chance, try out an Xotic BB with the DG30. Far and away my favorite pedal with it. I've tried the EP booster as well, but to my ear, while nice....there is a certain.....low-fi quality to it for lack of a better word. Not a bad thing at all, but the BB dials in grit to the clean tone in a different (and more transparent way to me) way...

Yes, there is a lo-fi quality - that's what I like most about it! It's modeled after the preamp section of a transistor Echoplex (hence EP), which, let's face it, was never the most high fidelity device out there. Here's a certain player with a certain band who used one in front of all his amps (you can see one on top of each Hiwatt):

For a higher fi thing I have the boost on the FD3 and the Catalyst. The FD 3 boost is very hi fi, and the boost on the Catalyst is also very crisp and detailed. I'm covered there, but I appreciate the suggestion!

Last edited:
With the HXDA I use the EP with the dip switches set to 3db boost and dark...depending on which guitar i set it anywhere between 9 and 11 and then use it to push a JHS Klone....these pedals I leave on quite a bit....sounds unreal.

I will try that.

Glad you liked it, Les (and Justmund. Timmy is a bad influence!). Depending on the amp used, I like the treble boost mode. Some just don't work with it. But it's been a pedalboard staple of mine for over a couple of years now.

Yes, there is a lo-fi quality - that's what I like most about it! It's modeled after the preamp section of a transistor Echoplex (hence EP), which, let's face it, was never the most high fidelity device out there. Here's a certain player with a certain band who used one in front of all his amps (you can see one on top of each Hiwatt):

For a higher fi thing I have the boost on the FD3 and the Catalyst. The FD 3 boost is very hi fi, and the boost on the Catalyst is also very crisp and detailed. I'm covered there, but I appreciate the suggestion!

Hard to argue with that!!

Can't do without it through my Roadster - now leave it on constantly, set to around 10 o'clock ..

Ep booster is one of the best pedals I have ever used. I originally bought it to fatten up my strat and as a solo boost, but now I pretty much leave it on all the time when playing a les Paul or my sc245. Set it to the vintage settings, turn the knob to about 11 o'clock and watch out!

I agree with Aristotle, it's not the most hi fi of devices, but it's got a certain something that shapes the tone in an ear-pleasing way. I still like the other boosts I have for what they do. It's nice to have choices, especially for layering sounds in mixes.

At some point I'll run it through some analysis software and figure out how it sculpts the frequency response, as that to me is what makes it work well!

Well, you can never believe what you read online. Especially if I wrote it...

Today I tried the EP Boost with my HXDA, set up exactly the same way I had it set with the DG30, and with the HXDA set the very same way as before.

And it sounded great.

My theory is that I must have had a dud last time.

I listened to the new Grissom record again today, and man, not only does he play SO well, the fat, juicy tone he gets for solos just makes me smile.

And he uses that tone in such musical ways! I gotta say, I just love hearing him play.

I love the EP. I have one of the old ones that can't be set to unity. At first that kinda bugged me, but I actually found a great use for it. I leave mine with the boost knob all the way down most of the time. I actually use it as a very minimal volume boost on my clean to make certain things pop a bit more, like harmonics. Helps them cut through the mix better. When I turn it on with high gain, it just adds some compression and liquidity to my leads and single note lines with the slight tonal character that they add. It works well with all amps I've tried it on.

I listened to the new Grissom record again today, and man, not only does he play SO well, the fat, juicy tone he gets for solos just makes me smile.

And he uses that tone in such musical ways! I gotta say, I just love hearing him play.

We're living near Austin, and Grissom plays(for tips!) an early evening set at the Saxon Pub(where several live cuts of the new album were recorded) nearly every Tuesday(we saw him just last week). I can tell you, first hand, that what you hear on the album is nothing like the incredible dynamics and tone you're hearing when you stand 5 feet in front of his amp. He's playing thru the DG 30 with the volume on 'Damn Good and Loud" but not earsplitting. (Master is on '10' btw) So if you're ever in Austin...

I had the EP Booster before I bought the DG30. Just love this pedal. I use 2 on my set. one is always on and the other I use as a boost. Then I got the DG30. Bingo, perfect match. The DG30 should come with a EP installed...lol

We're living near Austin, and Grissom plays(for tips!) an early evening set at the Saxon Pub(where several live cuts of the new album were recorded) nearly every Tuesday(we saw him just last week). I can tell you, first hand, that what you hear on the album is nothing like the incredible dynamics and tone you're hearing when you stand 5 feet in front of his amp. He's playing thru the DG 30 with the volume on 'Damn Good and Loud" but not earsplitting. (Master is on '10' btw) So if you're ever in Austin...
If you get a chance to run up and take a photo of his amp settings, be sure to post it :biggrin: I've always found his amp setup interesting and his approach refreshing. But it's no secret that I enjoy that DG koolaid.

I have plans on coming to Austin within the year and won't hesitate to hit the Saxon a few times. My mother was born in Taylor but I don't get down there much anymore. Time to change that. :cool:

Regarding the EP Booster, every time I contemplate thinning the pedal herd a little and decommission the EP Boost, it only takes about 10 seconds...what the hell am I thinking??!! :D

I find the EP Boost a thing to my liking now, as it does a few good things. First, it cuts the low end a little, so the amp's midrange and high end cut through a little more. Second, it adds a layer of slight grit, and the distortion tends to blend well with certain amps.

I really don't need the boost function for recording; for me it's more of a glorified tone control. It tends to kick in a bit of EQ in that range that seems to sit between the mid and hi frequency controls. But it certainly works as advertised.

It's not a high fidelity clean boost, but it's a great tool for doing certain things. I run it an awful lot.

Last edited:
...it cuts the low end a little, so the amp's midrange and high end cut through a little more...it's more of a glorified tone control. It tends to kick in a bit of EQ in that range that seems to sit between the mid and hi frequency controls....
This. The boost feature is a bonus, to me, and use the EP as a "sweetener". Paired with my Klone, it works pretty darned well, regardless of amp or guitar. In my experience, that's rare.

Back