Would Phase III tuners fit a 2014 SE Zach Myers?

atreyu2112

Hey, Would Phase III tuners fit a 2014 SE Zach Myers as a direct drop in with no mods/new holes needed? I'd rather drop the extra coin and get them over the Gotoh SD90s.

for what it's worth, i contacted PRS a couple months ago asking basically this same question and they replied:
"There would not be a PRS direct replacement tuner for the vintage style tuners on the Zach Myers. "

I am indeed interested to know if anyone knows of a direct drop in replacement for the 2014 SE ZM tuners .

edit: is your original post implying that the Gotoh SD90 are a direct drop in fit? or are you just saying you'd pay extra for a drop in fit? (which i would too)

Last edited:
edit: is your original post implying that the Gotoh SD90 are a direct drop in fit? or are you just saying you'd pay extra for a drop in fit? (which i would too)

Right now on eBay there is an auction for all of the parts off a 2014 SE ZM, including the tuners. I contacted the seller asking him what he used to replace them (if he used Phase III's) and he said
I replaced the tuners with Gotoh Kluson style locking tuners SD-90's). They were a direct fit (no drilling). They are a little shorter than stock, but work fine.
So at least we know that is a viable option. But if the Phase III screw holes line up, I'd have no problem drilling the peg holes if I had to.

And yes, I would pay extra for a drop-in fit. I would easily drop the $180 for the Phase III's if I knew they'd fit, or I would have paid more for the guitar if they offered it with locking tuners.

I get the aesthetic aspect of the guitar, but I just can't stand vintage or non-locking tuners in general anymore. Tuning stability is SO important to me. They went ahead and threw the adjustable wrap-around on it, and Zach even said they considered locking tuners but opted for the vintage... the guitar is really so close to perfection IMO for the price. If it only had even S2 locking tuners...

If anyone has the Phase III's on a guitar, here are the specs from the Gotoh SD90... maybe you could measure and see if it's a match?
SD90-dimension.jpg

well, here is some photo proof. As you can see in the first pick it looks good, but the phase III have a lip on them as you can see in second pic, which will require the tuner hole to be widen. The screw holes are very close. so if you don't mind a little drilling, or reaming of the tuner holes you maybe in business.

PS, the current tuners you see are the gotoh drop in, locking of course!!!!
4C9D53DF-97FE-438C-AF37-64D0868C6613_zpsdtfh1r3w.jpg

31D5B630-5851-452F-92D5-5C66394F2720_zpsdqgsibim.jpg

wardog .... Thank you! From the 2nd shot it looks like the hole would only have to be widened for the lip? The shaft of the tuner fits through tho? Also, how do you feel about the Gotoh's? And are you going to make the change over to Phase III?

wardog .... Thank you! From the 2nd shot it looks like the hole would only have to be widened for the lip? The shaft of the tuner fits through tho? Also, how do you feel about the Gotoh's? And are you going to make the change over to Phase III?

Correct on the widen of the tuner hole. Again, the screw holes are very close, but not a direct line up. may have to drill for new ones on one end of the tuner. The shaft made it thru perfectly, and would be at a higher post height than the Gotoh's. They are shorter than stock , but I love them, this is my second guitar where I have replaced vintage klusions with them. Holds tune like a champ on an epiphone crestwood 62 re-issue with the tremotone. This being a wraparound, should be even better( not a scientific fact!!!!).

I'm probably gonna give the Gotoh a try and see how I like them.

JCar24... NONE of those are the locking versions. You need the Magnum Lock... SD90-MG. Your best bet will be eBay I think. Just look up Gotoh sd90 locking

I have Brand New Phase III tuners in the PRS package and can't use them as I need originals for a '88 standard. Please advise if I can help you out. Neil

I have Brand New Phase III tuners in the PRS package and can't use them as I need originals for a '88 standard. Please advise if I can help you out. Neil
Neil, those tuners your looking for are the winged one's correct? IF so, I see 2 ebay post for full sets really cheep at the moment.

Let me go tech on this subject for a moment. I spoke with the master of mods (aka Shawn the great) lol, and spoke with him about the same thing with a Marsden. He said physically it could be made to work, but the headstocks of all Prs's no matter se, core or private stock that are made with vintage style tuners (kluson type) have a thinner headstock and a slightly different angle. So there will be a loss in sustain and tuning stability due to the lack of break over angle at the nut. A better option is the Tone Pro's kluson tuners. If you look at the base of almost every kluson the mounting flange is dished and there a lack of support around the string post, except the wood of the headstock. Which the wood will stress and move at some point that's why guitars have trus rods. The tone pros and a flat mounting flange and a high shouldered support around the string post. There's a YouTube video from Max Guitar showing them. Another way to go would be a grover or similar design, like all the old blues and rock guys from England in the 6o's like Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, Eric Clapton, and he'll now a days Joe Bonamassa. Sorry to send you into a L.P. camp but that is just the best way to do it right.

Now I am liking these Klusons even better.
Sent an email to my dealer earlier, not sure if he can get these or not.
If not, I will buy a set to drop off with him.
My ZM should be shipping to him before too long.

I like the looks of those small knobs on top.
http://www.toneproskluson.com/models.html

TPKB3L_F_big.jpg

Talked with my dealer, he is looking at ordering these in for me, and he hopes to hear from PRS before the end of the week if my ZM is shipping or not at the end of the week.

Those are exactly a direct replacement. They have a larger shaft than the Gotohs or the stock tuners so the headstock holes will have to be enlarged a bit.

Those are exactly a direct replacement. They have a larger shaft than the Gotohs or the stock tuners so the headstock holes will have to be enlarged a bit.
So not quuite a direct fit then, only the screw holes on the back?
My small PRS shop can handle it with ease if they have to enlarge the hole then.
They have upgraded all of my guitars with new tuners with the exception of my 408.

Back