Would like a low volume tube amp...any suggestions?

I've been wrestling with this issue for some time and gone through several iterations. I currently have a 3rd Power CSR combo with their 'hybrid master' - it's a 40 watt combo but goes down to under 1 watt. Nice tube tone and great fix loop. I only play after my son goes to bed. But as many have said, you'll lose the speaker break up at low volumes. Unless you have a dedicated space where you can crank it, you'll have to choose which compromises you can live with. I've been debating about trying a Kemper but I do love those tubers a glowing!

A modeler/headphone solution may be best until we see what Shawn is teasing us about?

I don't have any inside information but I talked to Bryan Ewald last week at an event with PRSh. Bryan did say he's scheduled to shoot some new product demos soon. Hopefully we'll see something about the new products soon.

He may have to settle for paisley. Speaking of which, I NEVER liked paisley. I don't own one paisley tie and never have. When I first saw the PRS amps and cabs in paisley I didn't like them. After seeing a few, I decided they were cool, and now I just LOVE some of them!

Obvious question: Have I been spending too much time with Sergio? Please, please, please somebody do an intervention if I decide to cover one of my beautiful PRS guitars with paisley fabric!

He may have to settle for paisley. Speaking of which, I NEVER liked paisley. I don't own one paisley tie and never have.

I’ve been buying paisley ties since the 60s. At first, it was because it was Ivy League stuff, and later, because it was psychedelic.

However, I no longer buy ties. I still have the ones I bought in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s...for real. And I don’t wear them any more except under duress from my wife.

Well, I know it’s way too late to have any influence on the design at this point, but I’ll tell you what would be the coolest small amp ever. Archon front end, with a Mesa TA15 style power stage. The choice of 25 watts A/B, 15 watts Class A or 5 watts SE Class A offers an amazing amount of flexibility. To this day, the sweetest tones I’ve ever gotten out of my Fulltone 69 fuzz was with the TA15 in Hi1 (Marshall) 5 watt settings.

If PRS released an Archon with those power choices, I’d be at the store tomorrow. Then again, if they released the Archon 25 in head version, I’d be at the store tomorrow. :)

He may have to settle for paisley. Speaking of which, I NEVER liked paisley. I don't own one paisley tie and never have. When I first saw the PRS amps and cabs in paisley I didn't like them. After seeing a few, I decided they were cool, and now I just LOVE some of them!

Obvious question: Have I been spending too much time with Sergio? Please, please, please somebody do an intervention if I decide to cover one of my beautiful PRS guitars with paisley fabric!

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem...or is it being admitted into recovery is the first problem? Huh, I can't remember. Paisley is bad...N-kay.

However, I no longer buy ties. I still have the ones I bought in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s...for real. And I don’t wear them any more except under duress from my wife.

Dude - family forum! No one needs to know what you wear under your wife's dress! Thank goodness I don't have my glasses on - makes the mental image look like a Sergio picture.

I thought we weren't supposed to say anything for a little while longer?

And just to be clear, it only comes with the disco ball for a limited time through Wild West Guitars.

Nah - I'll wait for the Experience 2018 Bang Stallion edition.

When I first joined this forum and started to explore PRS Amps, I saw those paisley patterns and said to myself "no way! I survived the 1970s without wearing much paisley, and I am just fine avoiding it for the rest of my life! Give me that boring plain black tolex!"

Then a few years ago I bought an Archon head and cab in black paisley, because the paisley was stealth, and I felt like I was rebelling against myself in some weird way by sneaking some paisley into my life.

Last year when I got married, my wife-to-be picked out a really nice looking purple paisley tie for me to wear.

So when I saw an HXDA in paisley I knew I had to have it. Even more than the plum version.

If PRS releases anything in purple paisley, I'm doomed.

I have a blues junior iii humbolt, as a relatively low watt tube. To my ears, this is by far the best version of the blues junior. I love it. Recently, I played through, and subsequently purchased, a Roland Blues Cube Stage 60. This is not a valve amp. Nor is it modelling in the conventional sense. It does “model”the behaviour of all of the discrete components in a valve amp. Specifically tweed era fenders. But it doesn’t model a slew of amps, *based on timbral interpretations*
Honestly, for me, everything I love about the blues junior iii, the blues cube does better. The one possible exception would be reverb; the jury is out on that. This isn’t a knock on the fender. I still love it. But this thing blew me away. When I initially played it, I didn’t know what it was or if it was valve or not. When I was shown what it was, I ordered one straight away.
I have a Katana 100 1x12. I think it’s awesome for the $$. It does a lot, quite well, for a great price. However, if you’re looking for a valve sound, that has built in attenuation, and doesn’t weigh a tone, have a look at these newish blues cubes. They are more $ than the katana, and approach similarly functional valve amps in price.
However, they do have some advantages.
I won’t say you should buy one -that’s your decision alone. I do strongly recommend you sit and play with one for a while at a local shop, if you can

Last edited:
Back