Wondering re DG Custom 30 tone with 594s...

So I am thinking about the DG30 to complement the HXDA. I love David's tone through the DG30, with the DGT. But still I wonder, how does the short scale of a 594 match up with the DG30? (Certainly Les digs the DG30 with his 594s, that is a good sign!)

I stumbled across this video of Mike Ault with the DG30 and a Ted DC 245:

Sounds pretty good! (Of course Mike Ault could make a $10 Guitar from Walmart sound great!)

I am a big fan of the David Grissom one channel amp thinking, and use a boost pedal in front to thicken it up when desired. I go for the baseline tone having a little more gain than David does, and just turn the guitar volume down for cleanish stuff.

(I have another super clean amp for when I want very clean tones, and I am not playing out these days, where I need everything in one amp...)

I have tried many clean boost pedals, but I keep coming back to the EP Booster as my favorite, with the HXDA.

The 5815 LTs are so good these days (and LT+'s in the new SCs), I think that would make a good combination with the DG30 and and EP Booster when needed, and an OD like the Wampler Tumnus for leads. (The Soapbar DC 594 would also likely sound great with he DG30 too!)

Plus, they look pretty darn cool, with the matching Head and Cab! :)

Amp GAS!!...

Here’s a clip I did a while back of the DG30 with my 594 Soapbar, followed by the 594 humbucker model.

I created it when I bought the two guitars, and posted it here in the past. I play with a little more dirt than Serg, because my brain thinks dirtier guitar thoughts, I guess. ;)

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/messy-20

Last edited:
I think I said this when you first released these songs, but those styles and tone are YOU. No, I’ve not heard much of your work, but I’m guessing you sounded like this in some way. So tasty.

Just curious, what strings do you have on White Westie?

I think I said this when you first released these songs, but those styles and tone are YOU. No, I’ve not heard much of your work, but I’m guessing you sounded like this in some way. So tasty.

Just curious, what strings do you have on White Westie?

Thanks, Boogie.

On those recordings I was using plain old D’addario strings, but I’ve switched to the Pure Nickel DR strings after @Rider1260 reminded me of how great they are.

Back