Wiring PRS 57/08 set with push-pull pot

Eric Tetz

I just bought a set of 57/08s off ebay (apparently days before they became available directly from PRS. Doh).

I have '91 PRS that used to have the 5-way rotary switch. I replaced that with a volume, 3-way toggle switch, and a push-pull tone pot for coil splitting. I paid someone to do it, and it was a nightmare (destroyed one tone pot, wired volume backwards, etc.; took him three weeks and 4 passes to fix everything). So I'd like to put these in myself.

I'm good with a soldering iron and used to do my own wiring back in the day when things were simple (two wires from each pickup, no tapping), but I'm intimidated by this.

I found schematics on the PRS site but I'm not sure which applies to my guitar and these pickups, if any.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, give tips, etc. it'd be greatly appreciated. :)

Pictures of the situation attached.

VFTK15M.jpg
kesYsln.jpg

jULMGTa.jpg

w1gRwYL.jpg

25tXnx8.jpg
QZij5Bg.jpg

First thing I see is that it looks like the 57/08's have been used without the splits. The red wires are heat shrink wrapped to the outer casing which is a really good way to do it, but isn't going to help you). I can't see the red wire for the treble, but I think it is just hidden by the shrink wrap. You will need to cut the shrink wrap and get all 4 wires exposed for each pup. The black (or is it gray?) wire is also soldered to the large common cable.

Next I think you have the tone pot and the switch locations reversed, which is fine if you want it to be wired that way. You will just need to look at the schematic knowing they are in different positions. I think the McCarty schematic will work for you but the colors of the wires may be different. You can ohm out the wires to see which have about half the resistance which would be the splits.
https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/mccarty.pdf

As with cutting wood, "Measure twice, cut once". In this it is "layout twice, solder once". You should do fine. Solder is reversible. I otta know, I've had to reverse it a time or two...or more.

First off - thanks for inspiring me to pull out the SC245 57/08 today. Playing was on my list - playing that guitar was not.

This is factory wiring - I haven't modified anything. I'm not sure you'll be able to see all you need, so if something's unclear, just ask and I'll see if I can sort it out.

First up, this is the push-pull tone switch. First pic also shows the caps (or resistors - not as sure as I should be) and their values, if that matters to you.

sc24501.jpg

Another shot of the push-pull. Note that the tabs w/the two black wires are soldered together.

sc24504.jpg

Here's the full cavity - shadows are tough. From L-R, top row is neck volume, bridge volume; bottom row is neck tone push-pull, bridge tone.

sc24502.jpg

And a close-up of the volume pots, neck on the left.

sc24503.jpg

It's a little tough to follow the wires, but I hope this helps.

FWIW - I was a little surprised not to find a red wire in there. When I did my Holcomb pups, they were four-wire pups. I was expecting at least a red wire - maybe it's soldered off inside the shrink-tubing, like AP515 said.

Nice pics Alan

... "First pic also shows the caps (or resistors - not as sure as I should be) and their values, if that matters to you."

Those are caps. There are also two disk caps on the volume pots.

Yours has the 4 controls layout, but the tone pot splits are the same. The center terminals are connected to the black common wire and so they are pushed together. The McCarty schematic has them straight but that is the way to do it. Yours also has the separated white wires for the splits where his have red and gray wires. I don't know which are the splits but you can tell with an ohm meter.

I appreciate the responses, guys. I peeled off the wrapper the previous guy put on the wires and saw such a clusterf**k that I decide not to touch it.

I've got a gig on Tuesday and I'd rather not be stuck with my backup guitar.

I think I'm going to pay a pro to do this because he'll have all the relevant parts and materials. I don't see any capacitors in there (despite supplying the guy one from my RS Guitarworks kit). I supposed there has to be one in there, because the tone pot works, but damned if I can find it.

This time, instead of going to craigslist, I'm bringing it to a guy at Guitar Center (I know) who comes highly recommended by others.

eq7K1zb.jpg

Last edited:
Back