Wiring harness…?

So you say you'll believe the 'CTS' stamp on a pot, but not the date stamp on a pot? That's rather silly. Did you turn over the pot to see the stamping on the bottom? Have you compared it to a Bourns.

As I mentioned before, Bourns pots have riveted lugs and narrow solder lugs. CTS do not. Riveted lugs are more expensive to produce. CTS didn't simply decide to start more expensive production methods. The pot you show has riveted lugs. That is PRS/Bourns spec 100%.

It is absolutely possible that Bourns is coping with supply chain issues by outsourcing production to CTS. Those pots still have to be made to PRS specs, however. So it is a PRS-spec Bourns pot, made under license by CTS (like a PRS SE is made under license).

If PRS sold you a CTS pot, that's a bummer. Bourns are generally regarded as just about the best audio taper pot you can buy. I guess that's why PRS used/uses them. Sweetwater currently has a PRS tone pot that is clearly and Alpha - an Asian import - that is used for SEs. PRS traditionally only used Alphas in Core for push/pull applications. I have no idea why, since Bourns make a push/pull audio taper pot, as well.

...And just to add - I really, really hope it a temporary subcontracting or licensing deal. CTS used to be all-US production, but I've seen folks posting in Gear Page that their CTS pots were made in Taiwan (or elsewhere). Bourns' production is in Riverside, CA. I've search high and low for anything form PRS about this, but there is absolutely no mention of it. The ACC-4111 volume pot currently listed on the PRS site is indeed stamped 'CTS', as is the one listed at GC/MF. The ACC-4109 tone pot is a CTS on the PRS site and an Alpha on the Sweetwater site. PRS always stressed that is used all US-made parts in its Core guitars. I am afraid that cost-cutting measures are afoot. They are charging the same for the Alpha pot as the Bourns. That likes grape juice being sold as wine, and for the same price. That sucks.

I'm checking out of this Google expert nonsense. A stamp is a stamp. Bourns isn't stamping CTS.

Yep, both of mine are Bourns. 1999 and 2020. You learn every day
I'm checking out of this Google expert nonsense. A stamp is a stamp. Bourns isn't stamping CTS.
Never said Bourns was stamping CTS. It’s clear CTS has been building pots to Bourns/PRS spec, under license, since aspects of the design would patented.

I checked all my PRS pots, still in the packaging. Only one is stamped CTS. All purchased after 2019.

Like I said before, manufacturers will switch suppliers based on supply-chain needs. They won’t let production going to a halt. They’ll also switch to cheaper alternatives. It likes that with everything from chips to screws. PRS used both Schaller and Gotoh to make its Phase II tuners. They ended up staying with Gotoh because of supply issues with Schaller (Gotoh also happens to be cheaper).

Prs spec not bourns spec
Or both, perhaps. PRS would spec the taper and resistance, for sure, and some aspects of construction like shaft length, splines, etc. It's worth noting that the CTS-made PRS pots incorporate aspects of Bourns construction, rather than maintain more typical CTS-style construction. That would point to PRS wanting them built in the same manner that Bourns made them. Somebody has to pay Bourns to license that. I wondered if perhaps CTS' parent company had acquired Bourns (that could explain a supply change, too) but I haven't found anything to indicate a Bourns takeover. So, independent of specs, the question becomes: "is PRS using CTS pots, Bourns pots, or both?"

PRS is using PRS spec pots. I see the opposite. More CTS than bourns but at the end of the day all that matters is PRS spec pots. Best dang volume taper in the business.

Hello everyone, new guy here with a question kind of similar to the subject. My baby is a 2020 S2 594 McCarty and I noticed that the treble volume pot has no real change in volume til it gets to about 8 and then it jumps way up. I want to go ahead and replace both volume pots, I have tried cleaning it out but no change that I could tell. What would be best to replace the factory ones with that are better quality?
Thanks for any information provided!

Hello everyone, new guy here with a question kind of similar to the subject. My baby is a 2020 S2 594 McCarty and I noticed that the treble volume pot has no real change in volume til it gets to about 8 and then it jumps way up. I want to go ahead and replace both volume pots, I have tried cleaning it out but no change that I could tell. What would be best to replace the factory ones with that are better quality?
Thanks for any information provided!
This involves the taper of the pot. PRS uses custom tapers, so I can’t call it “audio” or “linear,” and you’ll have different folks tell you different things on which to use for volume and tone. Generally you’re safe using an audio taper pot for all positions if you want to install new pots. You’ll have to try both to see what you like, and any treble bleeds you install, as well as 50s versus modern wiring will affect the taper characteristics as well.

As replacements go, CTS or Bourns are your best bet. Or Emerson, but I’m pretty sure Emerson’s are just more expensive rebranded Bourns. Just pay attention to the resistance value (500k vs 250k), tolerance, and of course the taper (audio vs linear).
Mojotone has some custom taper CTS stuff for a good price.

Back