Wireless Guitar - Do you use it? Which system?

Blackbird

Pincher of Harmonics
Hey everyone. I am currently looking at wireless guitar systems, hoping to reduce some of the spaghetti on the floor at shows and alleviate the paranoia of pulling out of my amp. In the earlier days there was a big sacrifice in tone with wireless units. It seems like the newer versions have improved in that area. So far, Line6 and Shure appear to have the best reviews for their devices.

I know we have a lot of experienced musicians here. Who is using or has used wireless in live situations? Recommendations? Pros/Cons?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I can vouch for Line 6 wireless stuff- even for the now discontinued XDS systems they had a few years ago. My only lament is that they're not the longest lasting with battery life- though the current ones (the Relays) are much better about that compared to the XDS predecessors that I still have. Still, the battery life on the Relays is decent overall.
Tone-wise, there is no noticeable change. As for the whole 'it sounds like a cable' claim, that was rather spot on IMO. They're pretty rugged and reliable, as well- and that's coming from someone with a pedalboard tossed, and stomped on to hell more or less. haha

I have a Line 6 Relay g50. I have not had any problems with it at all. I might soon try rechargeable batteries but I have it on low power and I can travel fairly far. I have not had any issues with tone loss. I don't really mess with the whole length of cable thing they have. No interference either.

I have an Audio Technica I bought last year for using in my home.
Inexpensive, but if I was a gigger, I would get a more expensive one.
I forget which model it is, but I paid around $100 or more from Amazon.

I use a Line6 G90 and can honestly say I will never use another system as long as this one is functioning or available on the market. Its rackmountable with a metal transmitter pack. The display is customizable and very visible and the digital connection is much better than ones that use radio frequencies. Its instantly connected and no need to jump channels. There are some tone shaping options built into it to emulate a cable but Ive never needed to add that. Its amazing and I can't speak highly enough about it.

I use a Shure PGX14 for years now with no issues. Well when I first got it the little 1/4" to wireless pack cable was messed up and they quickly sent me a replacement. No problems since.

I have the line 6 g50 and I have no complaints other than battery life but I don't have any issues as far loosing any tone. Whenever my tone sounds a little thin I just adjust the cable length dial and that takes care of it right away. Plus for the money you can't go wrong and I have mine mounted on my pedal board for even less cable confusion.
P1020528.jpg

Thanks for all of the replies!
For you guys using the Line6 stuff, one of the primary complaints is about the battery door of the transmitter pack not staying closed and popping open easily. Have any of you found that to be an issue or is it over-hyped?

Line 6 G50 - Pilot report.

I have a Line 6 G50

The Good - Signal seems rock solid - much better than my old AKG units. When I flipped back and forth with a cable at first I thought I heard a small difference but I've gotten used to it or I imagined it.

Receiver goes right on the pedal board and runs off my Voodoo labs Power supply just great. Signal strength and body pack BATTERY strength are clearly displayed on the pedal board mounted receiver. The Battery indicator has 3 green bars that click down like a gas gage - really nice - then goes red with you are getting close... The battery power is a bit pessimistic, which is good, even when you go "red" you'll still make it to the next break - easy. During practice I let it go just to see how much I had left - played well over an hour before it finally stopped. :)

Everything on the G50 is METAL and seems VERY well made - I heard guys with the G30 complain about the battery door - that's not an issue with the G50. The G30 does use a STANDARD 1/4 inch cable which is a plus but the rest of it is plastic and I didn't think it would hold up for me. G50 and G90 use the same belt pack - just rack mount vs. Pedal board mount. I like the pedal board mount because I notice the battery life indicator with it there... :wink:

The Bad - For a unit that seems really well made the instrument cable it comes with it is disappointing - too short and just seems to not be up to the same quality as the rest of the unit. It also uses a special connector to go to the body pack rather than 1/4". Fortunately it's the same connector that Shure uses for a bunch of their stuff! I bought a Sure Cable and Kept the line 6 as a back up. Lava Cable also makes a nice replacement. ;)

I'd buy it again. :beer:

For you guys using the Line6 stuff, one of the primary complaints is about the battery door of the transmitter pack not staying closed and popping open easily. Have any of you found that to be an issue or is it over-hyped?

Ive never had that issue at all on the G90. I would recommend having a new transmitter cable made from Lava cables because the stock one gets wrecked pretty easy but thats it. Its built like a tank.

I've had a Sennheiser G2 for several years and haven't had any issues with it. I picked it up because the others did look a bit more light weight at that time. Haven't looked at more recent models to see if things have changed on any of them. The one thing I'd definitely recommend is rechargeable batteries with fully charged spares with you if you're gigging with it. Sucks when they die mid song!

When I read this I was reminded about Nigel Tufnel at an Air Force Base trying to play a solo and air traffic control comes through his wireless device...I would hope that nowadays that they have protected frequencies.. I know I can hear my neighbors baby monitor on my scanner(yeah Im a geezer with a metal detector too)...

I've never had that problem. BTW, I also use the Lava coiled wireless cables which are very nice:
http://www.lavacable.com/index.php?id=78

I use the line 6 g30 . Battery life has been very good. Usually 15 hours on two aa batteries however I've had 20+ hours on two batteries. Only complaint is the battery compartment door. Sometimes can come free but an elastic band keeps it secure.

Sennheiser G2 user here, had it for 4 or 5 years and we have 4 within the band with no problems what so ever in that time.

Back