Wide/Fat setup

DGTplayer

Those of you with these necks,
How high do you set your action? Just curious where other people are feeling theirs. I'm using 10's, playing blues and rock on a H2 but the website setup seems a little high to me.
Thanks!

My two SE's are wide fat as is my SC 245 and I use 10's. On all three guitars (one SE is a trem) I set the action to the factory spec for the bridge type and then lower it just a little, maybe not even a full 1/64". I also like just a slight bit of neck relief from dead on flat so that I don't fret out on bends up around the 20th - 22nd frets.

Firstly I measure my action at the 14th fret and with a capo on the 1st fret.

Bass side 4/64", treble 3/64" and if it's got a trem, I use a Stew-Mac 10" radius gauge the set the middle 4 strings.

Generally speaking I usually go 1/64" below factory setup with very little relief. This works well for me with 11-49 gauge strings. I have some set-up with 10's that feel good just a tad higher. I had to set the dirty 100 up a bit higher due to the shorter scale length.

I have my action set at th12th fret with a virtually straight neck.

1mm treble side, 1.25mm bass side.

The only exceptions to this are my 2015 McCarty, 1.15mm treble side, 1.30 bass side.

My Nick Catanese is set 1mm on both sides @the 12th fret.

I also keep the board a little flatter than spec and the action slightly higher than what rings out without any fret buzz anywhere on the neck.

I like fat necks. However, I find that I like to flatten the fretboard just about a quarter turn of the truss rod from the standard PRS setup. I don’t generally measure the string height for saddle adjustment, but lower each string until I get buzz, and then raise back a frog hair.

“I like fat necks and I cannot lie”

The “baw hair” is an accepted unit of measurement, only in Scotland -

“I like fat necks and I cannot lie”

The “baw hair” is an accepted unit of measurement, only in Scotland -

“C” hair is also acceptable in construction situations.:p:D

What the hell is a “baw”? I don’t think they roam the plains here. However, I do know what a “C” is, and they are accessible, and I have successfully used those from time to time.

What the hell is a “baw”? I don’t think they roam the plains here. However, I do know what a “C” is, and they are accessible, and I have successfully used those from time to time.

It’s what Billy Connolly would describe as:

“Wee hairy brains”

Last edited:
I’ve not found I prefer the action different on wide fat or thin or regular. Back in the 80s and 90s I liked it as low as I could get it without buzzing. These days I prefer it around 1.5mm, or a touch higher. I find it aids bending if slightly higher, if it’s too low the next string up gets under my finger and pushes me away from the string I’m bending. I adjust the action until that stops happening. It’s different with different frets but usually between 1.5 and 1.6mm. Relief I set close to flat, but I like a wee gap.

Back