WHY I'M a PRS AMP GUY

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
I've owned quite a few amps and cabs over the years. I basically like to play directly through the amp without a bunch of pedals. That's not to say that I don't add color sometimes, but I think the amp should speak for itself. I currently have two 2 channel amps. I thought I preferred the 2 channel C (I have one of the early first run ones), but I wanted a boost channel. So, while the C is back at its birthplace getting some surgery, I substituted my H that I bought at the last PRS Experience, which has the boost mod, and it sounds killer too. Both of these amps sound great in either channel, and they sound great with other guitars.

My current gigging setup includes an R9 and a SC HB II piezo. Both of these guitars sound KILLER through these PRS amps. My amp quest is over (at least for now). I am completely sold on these 2 channel beasts.

PRSANDLPJPG.jpg

Cool rig, Steve!

I couldn't agree more about PRS amps. Like you, I've had quite a few amps, and the PRS amps are superb.

Ask me in a week. ;)

Oh, and Steve, you need one more vintage Boogie 2x12 cab. :p

Steve....have the PRS amps superceded/surpassed your prior love affair with the Shiva???

Personally, I have a few of the CAD's and I love to switch back and forth....some variety of tones, but you never get a bad one! My favorite is the HX/DA with the "Kitchen Sink Mod" by far.....but the others can hold their own anyday and each serves a purpose.

I could not agree more with Steve. I purchased one of the original 20 PreProd 2 Channel Cs. I use it and love it at every gig,, My Original Sewell and Perfect 10 make a special appearance once and a while but my 2 Channel C is where it's at!!!!

Steve....have the PRS amps superceded/surpassed your prior love affair with the Shiva???

Bennett, I swore by my Shiva. I even had two EL-34 heads (although I traded one away). However, one day I thought I'll just try my PRS two channel C at rehearsal. Everybody in my band commented on how it cut through and stood out more in the band setting than my Shivas. It just proved to me once again that the tone you hear at home when you are playing alone is likely NOT the tone that sounds best when added into the mix of the entire band. So, to directly answer your question.........With the band, I actually prefer the PRS 2 channels.

Bennett, I swore by my Shiva. I even had two EL-34 heads (although I traded one away). However, one day I thought I'll just try my PRS two channel C at rehearsal. Everybody in my band commented on how it cut through and stood out more in the band setting than my Shivas. It just proved to me once again that the tone you hear at home when you are playing alone is likely NOT the tone that sounds best when added into the mix of the entire band. So, to directly answer your question.........With the band, I actually prefer the PRS 2 channels.

This is exactly what I learned about amps when I got seriously into recording. It's all about how an amp works in context.

Wow....Steve didn't even get Hans angry, and Hans took a bite out of 'em. Can you imagine what he'll do to you if he's pissed?
icon_e_surprised.gif
icon_e_surprised.gif

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;35706 said:

After 3 months under my belt with the Super Dallas, I have to completely agree, Steve. Reliable, stable, cool to look at, and sound stunningly good. That's about a dozen shows and I've never once considered taking the MkIII as backup. It may be time to look for a cool front panel like yours.

I guess there's no need for me to repeat for the umpteenth time that I love PRS amps.

New convert here. Lovin' the new 2 Channel Custom. In band context, it's just smoking. I use an OCD pedal in front for the extra 'oomph', but it's really not needed. Very happy with this amp!

I just received my 2-channel H earlier this week and I couldn't be happier. It is so amazing the number of different tones I'm getting out of my guitars. It's like I have new guitars as well as a new amp. It's really amazing!!

I have a 2-Channel "C" as well. I guess it's been discontinued but I really like the upper mid hump of EL34s. I've not tried the "H" but when I saw/heard the Nicky Moroch viddy and compared the clean and dirty tones he got compared to the "H" viddies I was sold on the "C". Read some comments that there may be reliability issues with the "C" but mine's been rock steady. I do like the new "H" Custom though. Wish Doug and company would make a "C" custom. Uh oh, feeling a bit of GAS coming on...

Man, you guys are killing me! Jeepers the GAS is flowing fiercely these days. :eek:

I'm really considering the new 2 channel custom. I would like the smallest package possible without sacrificing tone. Would the combo be too small?

Back