Which PRS SE model has the best "Jazz" sound

Calvin Wright

Dear PRS users,
I started guitar a year ago and am looking to buy a new PRS guitar. I was wondering which SE model you would you recommend to get that smooth "Jazz" sound? I am a new poster here so I can't link a sound example, but Autumn Leaves by Achim Kohl is the sound I am looking for.

Thanks for any input,
Calvin Wright

Oblig:

Tone is in the fingers.

Anyway...none of the SEs are targeted to a jazz sound. That being said, any of the semi-hollows will get you there more easily than a solid body, IMHO. Roll off the treble, lower the pups, use the neck pup, and, well, finger technique, will get something that could be used for jazz. There are no full hollowbody archtop PRS SE guitars. (Yet - hint hint, PRS Marketing... ;) )

Looking at the YouTube video of the song/artist, he is using a Gibson ES 137 - the closest PRS would probably be a core model like the JA-15, well above the price range of an SE, of course.

Dear PRS users,
I started guitar a year ago and am looking to buy a new PRS guitar. I was wondering which SE model you would you recommend to get that smooth "Jazz" sound? I am a new poster here so I can't link a sound example, but Autumn Leaves by Achim Kohl is the sound I am looking for.

Thanks for any input,
Calvin Wright

I was primarily a jazz guitarist for a number of years. If you're thinking Achim Kohl, you're going to need a fully hollow carved guitar. That goes for most traditional jazz tones. That being said, a good amp with a lot of clean headroom is a must, and just roll the tone/volume down on a neck humbucker. Jazz is more about how a song is approached versus the equipment. I had a Benedetto for years that I sold because I got a better tone with my Parker Fly, at least I feel like I do.

I'll be honest, if you want a guitar to just do the jazz stuff, buy an Ibanez Artcore. If you're looking for something a little more flexible, I'd get this one: http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/se/se_zach_myers_2017

I was primarily a jazz guitarist for a number of years. If you're thinking Achim Kohl, you're going to need a fully hollow carved guitar. That goes for most traditional jazz tones. That being said, a good amp with a lot of clean headroom is a must, and just roll the tone/volume down on a neck humbucker. Jazz is more about how a song is approached versus the equipment. I had a Benedetto for years that I sold because I got a better tone with my Parker Fly, at least I feel like I do.

I'll be honest, if you want a guitar to just do the jazz stuff, buy an Ibanez Artcore. If you're looking for something a little more flexible, I'd get this one: http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/se/se_zach_myers_2017
What's a good amp you recommend? (Under 200?)

I would recommend any of the semi-hollow guitars in PRS' SE lineup. In addition to the excellent Blach...er...Zach Myers recommendation (which I've been playing exclusively for the last week), I believe they also have the semi-hollow Custom 22, with which I'm not familiar. I'm not sure anyone here has both, but I believe most jazz guitars would probably lean towards 22 frets. You should be able to find one or the other in your vicinity. Give them a try.

Find a used Tech21 Trademark 60 ( you MUST connect the foot pedal for good cleans). Been my go to jazz amp for 15 years. And make sure you spend the time to learn the controls. It`ll do anything. The very first review I read was in a guitar mag. The reviewer stated that he bought the amp.

To those who say jazz requires a hollowbody guitar, Al Dimeola, jazz great, uses a Signature solid body PRS model, and John McLaughlin, jazz great, recorded his last album with a solid body Private Stock model that looks like it’s based on the DGT.

So, yeah. You can play jazz on a solid body SE.

To those who say jazz requires a hollowbody guitar, Al Dimeola, jazz great, uses a Signature solid body PRS model, and John McLaughlin, jazz great, recorded his last album with a solid body Private Stock model that looks like it’s based on the DGT.

I agree, but i think the tone pursued here by the O.P. may be found in a semi hollow. That said I recently acquired a 94 McCarty from a New Orleans/Baton Rouge Jazz man. Those old McCarty pups have mellowed with age and that guitar gives me some great Scofield and Benson Jazz tone. I love it for all tones actually. And it is relic'd the natural way from some hard living on Bourbon St. I think that it adds to the tone as well.;)

Required is a strong word. The example from the OP was a more traditional hollowbody jazz tone. I would also add that I don't think of either of those guys as having traditional jazz tones. Fusion tones for sure, but they don't sound like Wes Montgomery or Jim Hall or Frank Vignola.

I started to state, but must've edited it out -- it's mostly psychological. I tend to "think" in that general direction when I'm playing an archtop, and I tend to think more "rock'n'roll" with a solidbody. But I agree with you -- it's more about arrangements and mindset. One can really accomplish anything tone-wise with anything guitar-wise.

I would also recommend having it set up with as high an action as you can stand, and with as taught strings as you can stand. They sustain better that way.

Fusion tones for sure, but they don't sound like Wes Montgomery or Jim Hall or Frank Vignola.

I saw Wes play live in a small club in Detroit called Baker’s Keyboard Lounge in the 60s; he was a unique-sounding player.

No one sounds like him. The recordings only give you a taste of what he sounded like live.

The others...great players, perhaps more traditional in terms of tone.

Used PRS SE Zach Myers (with "vintage voiced" 24.5" scale) or other semi-hollow (with standard PRS 25" scale) with PRS 57/08, SD Seth Lover, or Gibson Classic 57/57 Plus pickups.

If you want "the real deal" then consider saving up for a used HB I or II and upgrade the pickups.

Boss Katana 50/100 is probably your best bang for buck low cost new amp.

Last edited:
Back