Which PRS neck pickup is the brightest/clearist and most Strat-like (when split)?

crazymauler

I want a neck pickup that is more on the brighter/clear side than most I've heard/owned, and gets as close as possible to a Strat neck single-coil when split.
Any ideas on which pickup from the PRS line captures that?
(This would be for a Cu22)

I want a neck pickup that is more on the brighter/clear side than most I've heard/owned, and gets as close as possible to a Strat neck single-coil when split.
Any ideas on which pickup from the PRS line captures that?
(This would be for a Cu22)
Uncovered 53/10.

For me the best is the DGT pickups, they sound every bit as good as my strat pickups and are noiseless.

If you can, test drive a 513 - it has exactly the sound you're looking for in single coil mode!

I haven't tried 53/10s but the 59/09 I had in the neck of a Mira was fantastic. If you were also to modify the circuit like a 2012 DGT with the 1.1K resistor between the split lead and the ground, the split tones would be that much more fantastic.

Its been a few months since the last post. Has anyone's opinion changed since the 53/10s hit the streets? I'm a blues/RnB player switching between my Gibby 347 with dirty fingers and '99 PRS Artist Custom 24 with coil split D2s. Still not loving the D2s so it's time to move 'em out. I read all the posts I could find and decided to post just to finalize my decision.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have 53/10s in my McRosie and the split tones are as close to a true single coil you will find in the PRS 'bucker family as far as I'm concerned and I have tried many... DGT pups would be a close second.

408's are so straty i just get blown away every time i play....That's why i bought a SIG-LIMITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You get a PRS sandwiched between a LES PAUL and a STRATOCASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Grissoms are designed to be the best in the biz at the split, and they are fairly bright in humbucker mode, but they are also warm in humbucker mode...

That's the thing with my PRS, it doesnt sound like a Fender or a Gibson, and I dont want it to. If I want a single coil sound that is why I also own a Strat that I can use for such situations.:biggrin:

I have been on the same quest as the OP. For a full humbucker size pickup, IMHO ears, the Mira neck.

Now one problem OP has is the location of the neck pickup. On a 22 fret model, the neck pickup sits farther from the bridge, than the 24 fret model. This effects the treble heard. For an example, take an acoustic guitar and strum it near the bridge and neck. You will hear more treble when strummed nearer the bridge.

So you might be better off with a 24 fret model over a 22 fret model. I knew I was and have sold all my 22 fret models for 24 fret models.

Back