Which PRS model is this guitar?

That is the Archtop model. No idea on the year for that specific guitar. If I remember correctly, they started making them in 1997 and stopped in 2004. The first few years it was known as the McCarty Archtop, and the last 3 it was the Archtop.

Wrap around tailpiece.

Must be a big block of wood under it to screw the mounting studs into.

So it's not fully hollow. The back and top are connected by that block of wood at the very least.

Is that a CORE guitar? Never seen one before.

Wrap around tailpiece.

Must be a big block of wood under it to screw the mounting studs into.

So it's not fully hollow. The back and top are connected by that block of wood at the very least.

Is that a CORE guitar? Never seen one before.
Yes, they were Core models. This is a picture of the regular Hollowbody insides, but the Archtop would have been the same.

GYZkiip.jpg

Thanks for all the information. I searched on the internet and found some photos. These guitars are stunningly beautiful but their price tag is too rich for this guitarist. Looks like the more affordable equivalent would be the SE Hollowbody II Piezo or SE Hollowbody Standard Piezo. But the SE guitars come in very limited colors and are no real replacement for the Archtop model…and I’d like to own a red Archtop seen in the photos I posted. Guess I’ll have to start saving my pennies.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information. I searched on the internet and found some photos. These guitars are stunningly beautiful but their price tag is too rich for this guitarist. Looks like the more affordable equivalent would be the SE Hollowbody II Piezo or SE Hollowbody Standard Piezo. But the SE guitars come in very limited colors and are no real replacement for the Archtop model…and I’d like to own a red Archtop seen in the photos I posted. Guess I’ll have to start saving my pennies.
I don't know what your budget is, but I managed to grab a '97 Archtop for $1,700. I got lucky, it was used at GC and they priced it stupidly low.

I don't know what your budget is, but I managed to grab a '97 Archtop for $1,700. I got lucky, it was used at GC and they priced it stupidly low.
Wow, that’s a fantastic price and was stupidly low. Online, I’ve seen an average of $3000-$5000 (give or take). $1,700 is more in my price range. I found a SE Custom Semi-Hollowbody (single f-hole) at GC for $600. It was in pristine condition and had a perfect setup with a floating bridge. It’s the best playing guitar I’ve ever owned and I felt an instant connection with it when I took it off the shelf and played it. I thought it was underpriced, even though $600 is probably about the right price. But it was better playing and better looking than the more expensive PRS’s in the store.

Dang dude, when was that?! I've been looking to snag an archtop forever.

So if you are ever looking to thin the herd (again), hit me up (again).

That is the Archtop model. No idea on the year for that specific guitar. If I remember correctly, they started making them in 1997 and stopped in 2004. The first few years it was known as the McCarty Archtop, and the last 3 it was the Archtop.
If I were to get all pedantic about it, I'd add that it was actually named the Archtop Jazz, which all had a spruce top and piezo, but I'm not persnickety that way. ;)

You may have guessed that I happen to own one of said models, and I love it. Maybe not as deep and reedy a tone as a bigger jazz box but it gets plenty close, along with the versatility to rock harder then all of those and less feedback-prone.

One of my favoorite features of the Archtop Jazz and Archtop 1 is the way they're made, where the back and sides are milled out from one thick, solid piece of mahogany, something you don't and likely won't see done much anymore. So cool.

Back