Which PRS can sound the most "Strat" like?

I agree with the need for single coils. I don't agree that it has to be a bolt on. My EG is a set neck and it really matches my Strat for tones including positions 2 and 4. So you do need 3 single coils to get the in-between tones. You need the whole wiring harness to be like a Strat really. You also need the maple neck or you will hear more warmth from the rosewood. My Strat is maple and my EG is rosewood and I do hear that difference.

The Brett Mason will do Strat ( and tele ) all day and give you a nice hum bucker tone also a Pauls Guitar or Brushstroke 24, my old CU24 with the rotary switch did a great 2 and 4 strat sound and I built this from an NF3 body and neck
I grew up playing Strats and still have one and you can totally get Strat sounds on a PRS if you want to get even closer changing the tone cap from a 33uf to a 47uf or 100uf

Last edited:
I thought my 3 pack of narrowfields were pretty close. Until I broke down and got a Strat.
However, one of the real beauties of the NF3 is that you can pull mids and bottom out on your clean channel and get even closer, and still have beautiful humbucker tones set up on your gain channel

My 2 cents...the EG's nail it...the one I played with the Fralin's in it was, no contest, the very finest strat I ever played....Would it serve me "all-round" as well as a CE 24? No way...but as a strat...As fine as anything out there.

This one!!!

CoTGaO.jpg

I just picked up a SAS NF a couple of month's ago, and it does a great strat impression in positions 2 & 4.

I just picked up a SAS NF a couple of month's ago, and it does a great strat impression in positions 2 & 4.

I agree. In fact, I liked the sound of my SAS NF so much I got rid of my strat. It is now my strat - and one of my favorite all-round guitars.

I'm a Strat guy, and have been for years. The closest I've come to Strat tone from a PRS is my '93 CE-24. I attribute this to the bolt-on neck, the alder body, and the 5-way rotary switch. It surprised me at first, because I really didn't expect such great Strat tones from any PRS. I used to have a CE-22 from the late 90s, and it never provided these sounds. It had the 5-way rotary, but was a mahogany body. I think the body wood has a lot to do with getting close to realistic Strat sounds. You can't get convincing Strat sounds from a mahogany body. I've played Strats with mahogany bodies, and they really don't sound much like a Strat. So, I am convinced that body wood is important. I also think that when PRSh developed the VB/HFS pickups, he created split-coil sounds that are very single-coil like, and don't have hardly any volume drop. This also surprised me, as I typically don't like the sounds of split humbuckers. The CE-24 (with alder body) sounds way more Strat-like in split-coil positions than the DGT that I had.

Try a 305. I just bought one - great strat like sound when needed. I would have bought a strat if I wanted a guitar that was 100% strat-like.

I'm a Strat guy, and have been for years. The closest I've come to Strat tone from a PRS is my '93 CE-24. I attribute this to the bolt-on neck, the alder body, and the 5-way rotary switch. It surprised me at first, because I really didn't expect such great Strat tones from any PRS. I used to have a CE-22 from the late 90s, and it never provided these sounds. It had the 5-way rotary, but was a mahogany body. I think the body wood has a lot to do with getting close to realistic Strat sounds. You can't get convincing Strat sounds from a mahogany body. I've played Strats with mahogany bodies, and they really don't sound much like a Strat. So, I am convinced that body wood is important. I also think that when PRSh developed the VB/HFS pickups, he created split-coil sounds that are very single-coil like, and don't have hardly any volume drop. This also surprised me, as I typically don't like the sounds of split humbuckers. The CE-24 (with alder body) sounds way more Strat-like in split-coil positions than the DGT that I had.
Great analysis - While I do not own a CE24, I have demo'd one and felt the same as you. Also agree with your comments on wood selection. About the only other thing I can add is that I think longer scale length also plays are role in the "Strat" tone vs tone from PRS's with split humbuckers and shorter scale lengths

I have an older McCarty with coil tap. There is not much in the way of guitar players that will mistake that tapped tone for a real strat. I surely won't. I have a beautiful older strat that does that job. Coil tap was a nice marketing intention, I've even seen idiot salesmen use it in their pitch, "why, I only now bring one guitar to a gig with that coil tap"... kid yourself, not me.

Wait for the new John Mayer prototype to be produced. Looks and quacks like a strat.

I don't see the value in dropping $2k+ on a guitar in order to "sound like a Strat", especially when $230 will fetch a Squier Standard that does the job perfectly. Been a Strat player since 1977, and imo the reason to get a PRS is to have something that plays and sounds unique.

I don't see the value in dropping $2k+ on a guitar in order to "sound like a Strat", especially when $230 will fetch a Squier Standard that does the job perfectly. Been a Strat player since 1977, and imo the reason to get a PRS is to have something that plays and sounds unique.

That's a common comment when someone posts this question. While it's a valid comment, I think it's clear the OP is looking for a PRS that can sound like a Strat. My first "real" electric guitar was a Strat, but ever since my first PRS, I can't bring myself to buy a Strat. I do have a couple, but my PRS 513 gets almost all the play when I want some quack, vibrato, and singlecoils. I'd just rather play PRS. My point: I DO understand the reason for the post.

My recap - NF 3 in positions 2 & 4 come close to strat like tones (as someone previously mentioned in this thread). The 513 in single coil mode produces what I would call acceptable tones but not necessarily Strat or Tele like tones. I can't speak to the CE24, Vela (neck pick up) or to the BM, but I suspect they also come "close" to producing Strat like tones. IMHO - When it comes to humbuckers, PRS is unbeatable - tone, playability and quality. Hopefully one day it will be the same for single coil as I am one of those who would like PRS quality and playability with Fender Strat & Tele type tones. Maybe a new JM model is the answer.

To get the Glassy tone you need a strat. Vintage tuners and trem also needed. Two point trems are smooth but don't have the glassy hendrixy rythms.
Novak are smooth but not good with OD. Fralin blues are the best for both clean and gig level.

My favorite PRS tele tone is the Quatro bridge split. So round. I need my Quatro back.

Back