Which PRS Amp Is Closest...

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
OK, so now I am obsessed with amps, and I am not having alot of luck. Tried the SEs when they first came out and did not like the quality of the OD...

BUT I would like to try out a PRS amp, no dealers near me, so I will explain what I like, and maybe y'all can steer me in a good direction.

I don't play with alot of gain, but I don't like pedals much...not opposed to using a boost (like my TC Spark) but I want the dirt to come from the amp. That means 2 channels. I'd prefer a combo, but not opposed to a head and cab.

I have a Mesa Express+ 5:25 which I love the clean channel and moderately dislike the dirty channel. The blues on max gain doesn't sing enough, and the burn even at mid settings sounds too fizzy. I have a Blackstar Club 40 which I love the dirty channel and moderately dislike the clean one. Too dull - need the Spark on that specifically.

So I am thinking from what I have read 2-Channel C, 2-Channel H in that order. Any thoughts?

You are looking in the right direction. Both the "C" & the "H" are great. Think of the "H" as a little more modern with the "C" more Classic.

You might be surprised at what you can do simply using the volume control on your guitar with one of PRS' single channel amps, too.

You might be surprised at what you can do simply using the volume control on your guitar with one of PRS' single channel amps, too.

I played the Sweet 16 a while back, and it was a real thrill - awesome sounding amp and would be good for what's described above if you don't need a lot of power (it's still quite loud).

^^This^^

My CAD Dallas does a great job of sounding like two channels, just by tweaking the Master and Volume.

Have you tried the Mesa at higher volume? A lot of times I find amps that seem to sound lacking at practice volumes completely change when you turn them up. I used to own a 5:25...I found that opening the amp up really helped...problem though if you can't play at louder volumes. I remember running very low settings in the contour knob really helped....

He's right, I have the 5:25 and you are right too, the clean channel is great but the OD is fizzy.... until you turn it up. It becomes a really fine OD channel. I can't play that loud though at home. The best option is to do as has also been suggested, use it as a single channel. Take DG's advice and turn up the voume as loud as you can stand and turn the preamp gain down as much as you can and let the power tubes breathe. It is the preamp gain that sounds like fizz.

Oh, and there will be an H amp in my future.... :)

...Take DG's advice and turn up the voume as loud as you can stand and turn the preamp gain down as much as you can and let the power tubes breathe. It is the preamp gain that sounds like fizz.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :cool: Lower your output power (is it 15W?), dime the master and don't bring the gain over 50%. Hook it up to a 2x12 to really let the tubes breathe.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions...being a townhouse dweller, I have to be considerate to my neighbors, so yes I have been running the Mesa at sinfully low levels...sounds like I have a bit of homework to do before doing anything rash though :)

I hope I indeed can find the "right" dirty sound because the Mesa clean on 5W Single-Ended Class A is really amazing...so I will be annoying some folks tomorrow.

...the Mesa clean on 5W Single-Ended Class A is really amazing...

This is the most overlooked mode of all Mesa amps...Randall really got his class A designs right. And considering the Simul-Class design really launched their product line, it shouldn't be a surprise. That's exactly how I run my MkIII and with the right speaker selection, you should like it if you're going for a Plexi vibe. A greenback or 12H65 or WGS ET65 should sound wonderful. Just twist that master to 10 and prepare to drool.

Back