Which pickups for SC594??

Well for what it's worth, I play mainly 70s hard rock...Rush, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Zep, etc.

The 57/08s in my 2014 SC245 (along with a Marshall and g12m speakers) handle those tones no problem. In fact I would prefer a bit less bass thump and bit more high mids, so 58/15 or the LT version would probably be perfect in my book! :)

Good taste! The 594 with stock pickups is the best guitar I've ever played for Thin Lizzy.

Thanks all! I am going to go with 58/15. I think that is the best option for me. The dealer I work with has listened to me play for years and he agreed that the LT are too light for me. He tried to tempt me with zebras, but I want covered with hybrid hardware. I think that looks slick.

I have 58/15s in my McCarty, but LT 57/08s in the McCarty Singlecut. The Singlecut's pickups have a different feel, that actually seems more ballsy, but that just might be the guitar.

If it's me, I'm always going to start with the pickups designed for the guitar, and see how that goes before making a change.

If it's me, I'm always going to start with the pickups designed for the guitar, and see how that goes before making a change.

That is usually my approach. But I couldn't get the 245 pickups out of my SC245 fast enough. I hate "vintage" pickups. I like more focus.

I'm so on the fence with this. And a replacement set of either 58/15 or 58/15LT is either expensive or unobtainable.

I am working on a spec to order an artist SC594. While I like the vintage vibe, I am more of a modern player. I will likely use the guitar more for classic rock, blues and a bit of modern rock, plus maybe some jazz, or at least jazz-y stuff, probably in roughly that order.

I think that the 58/15LT is likely to be a bit anemic for my tastes. I suspect I'd want either 58/15 or 85/15 (though I wish 85/15 could come covered).

I don't like SC245 (too anemic) or SC250/Tremonti (WAY too much output and trebly at the bridge).

I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but I thought it wouldn't be worth to make a new thread for this...

I was wondering if it is possible to get a McCarty SC594 with different pickups than the standard 58/15LT's?
I play mostly rock and heavier rock, so -on paper- I might find the standard 58/15 more interesting than the LT's.

I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but I thought it wouldn't be worth to make a new thread for this...

I was wondering if it is possible to get a McCarty SC594 with different pickups than the standard 58/15LT's?
I play mostly rock and heavier rock, so -on paper- I might find the standard 58/15 more interesting than the LT's.

The short answer is yes. You can spec different p/u's with an Artist Package. Several dealers have done Wood Library runs with different bridge p/u's. They're out there.

I have doublecut 594 variants with both the LTs and standards. Yes, I believe you would find the standards more interesting for your type of music!!!

Kevin

Dennis, you can actually get the 594 with an array of different pickups. Check the specs section at the bottom of the page on the prs site.

kes7u, what is your take on 58/15 vs. 58/15LT in the 594? The advertised purpose of the 594 was to get a truly vintage-ish guitar. Do the LTs really complete that package? Are they significantly different from the non-LT in tone or volume? Do you find yourself playing the two guitars differently, or for different kinds of music?

I haven't played any version of 58/15's to comment on their tone. BUT...I would spec it with one of those because they're not available aftermarket. Knowing full well I'd pop a 5909 in the bridge. That pickup is awesome for what you play. If you decide to sell the guitar at any point, resale would be better because they're the hot sh!t right now and what most people want. It's just an easier sell, maybe even more so with the LT's since they were designed with that guitar in mind.

Dennis, you can actually get the 594 with an array of different pickups. Check the specs section at the bottom of the page on the prs site.

kes7u, what is your take on 58/15 vs. 58/15LT in the 594? The advertised purpose of the 594 was to get a truly vintage-ish guitar. Do the LTs really complete that package? Are they significantly different from the non-LT in tone or volume? Do you find yourself playing the two guitars differently, or for different kinds of music?
Yes, I believe that the LTs are the final ingredient in attaining that vintage tone that they set out for. The 58/15 is a bit hotter, and I believe even hotter than the 57/08. Does not abandon the PAF realm, but certainly is harder hitting than the LT. The nice thing is that none of these, up to and including the 59/09, hit the amplifier too hard. I believe that you reach a point where these high gain pickups hit the front of the amp too hard, not allowing it to do its job fully. If you play higher gain music, and have a higher gain amp whose sound you really enjoy, then I am starting to think you might want to choose a set no hotter than the 59/09. (YMMV, just my thoughts as I learn more and experience more)

I like to play my style of music regardless of the pickups I'm using. I just like the slight tone changes, as well as the different way they interact with the amp.

Kevin

Last edited:
Yes, I believe that the LTs are the final ingredient in attaining that vintage tone that they set out for. The 58/15 is a bit hotter, and I believe even hotter than the 57/08. Does not abandon the PAF realm, but certainly is harder hitting than the LT. The nice thing is that none of these, up to and including the 59/09, hit the amplifier too hard. I believe that you reach a point where these high gain pickups hit the front of the amp too hard, not allowing it to do its job fully. If you play higher gain music, and have a higher gain amp whose sound you really enjoy, then I am starting to think you might want to choose a set no hotter than the 59/09. (YMMV, just my thoughts as I learn more and experience more)

I like to play my style of music regardless of the pickups I'm using. I just like the slight tone changes, as well as the different way they interact with the amp.

Kevin

Well said! I agree whole heartedly!

To my understanding, the 58/15LT in the 594 SC have exactly the same specs, with no difference between bridge and neck: am I right?

Also, it seems to me, that is the closest PRS guitar to the classic Gibson 59, at least according to Andertons video (see at 20.40 minute):

(Bernie Marsden private stock (wonderful) was with 58/15s though; I wonder whether the LTs are actually closer to "the beast"..)

After playing Geese's pink 594 over the weekend, I'd definietely go with LT's. They sound really good.

Back