Which do you play most at home?

Which do you play more at home (not gigs)?

• Electric guitar

Votes: 40 95.2%
  • Acoustic guitar

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
I have two acoustics (Fender and Ibanez) but truth be told, I really dislike playing the acoustic. I only have them around if a song I'm working on calls for them but I really try and play electric all the time.

I usually play nurse, and my wife plays doctor....
:eek:
Oh, wait, that wasn't the question.
:D

Honestly, I play so much I'm not sure. I write music on both, but when it comes to working out arrangements and/or learning new songs written by others I often start on acoustic, but not always. But when I want to just rawk it out, I get on the electric.

But for band practice, when held at my house, I play both fairly evenly. Plus other instruments, which are acoustic in nature (e.g. mandolin).

So I cannot answer the question because I do not have enough accurate data! I'd need to have an actual audit done of my playing habits, I suppose.

Me too! Steel stringers are for hippies and cowboys.

When my son first got to LA, he was doing a session, and took out his PRS CU22 Soapbar. Before he played a note, the producer said, "This isn't a metal session. Have you got another guitar?"

Dismissive stereotyping.

Not the best plan.

This thread inspired me to get my acoustic out for some pickin' and strummin' last night. I played mostly blues, so where does that fit on the Cowboy/Hippie spectrum?

When my son first got to LA, he was doing a session, and took out his PRS CU22 Soapbar. Before he played a note, the producer said, "This isn't a metal session. Have you got another guitar?"

Dismissive stereotyping.

Not the best plan.

I was joking, of course, and am fond of both hipped and cowboys, but... Look at where your son is at now that he doesn't play PRS anymore. Kinda hard to ignore the results. :p

This thread inspired me to get my acoustic out for some pickin' and strummin' last night. I played mostly blues, so where does that fit on the Cowboy/Hippie spectrum?

Somewhere between Chris Stapleton and Trey Anastasio? :)

I do have a steel string down in the basement, I just don't pull it out too often. I'm more of a frilly shirt-heeled boots-wannabe flamenco guy.

Until this past Friday, I was 100% electric.

I learn most if my stuff on the interwebs, and found a couple sites that are all acoustic...and discovered they don't translate through an SC594 and Sonzera. Still sounds good, but not quite 'right.'

So.. I picked up a thin-body Dreadnaught, and haven't put it down for days. It is SO gratifying to be able to play both, now.

So I'm at 90% - 10%, and loving it.

I'm confused.

Does a piezo pup on an electric guitar count as "acoustic?"

Both of my acoustics also have pups.

Sometimes I play my electric guitars acoustically.

;)

While I've played electric guitars since I was a teen, I paid my way through college playing various acoustic styles. For the last 15 years or so, acoustic have taken a back seat. I bought a cool parlour last year, and have put many miles on that thing. I also just ordered an acoustic guitar from a builder in Switzerland (Brunner ), commemorating my dad. When that gets built, I'm assuming I might be switching my vote from more electric to more acoustic!

I don't own a steel string acoustic, so electric guitar it is (sometimes with headphones:)).
PS - I own a nylon string acoustic which I play Bossa Nova style songs - usually 30 minutes a day.

I at almost 70 yrs old have decided that I like the nylon string just fine. For what ever reason, some songs are just right on one. "Girl From Ipanema" and "One note Samba" wouldn't sound good on anything but...

Reactions: CVS
Yesterday was the acoustic...played hard and loud. The day before it was the semi hollow Vella. Before that, the DGT. Then the SE Angelus and the 335 and Cu24. The One was in there too, at some point. These guitars yell at me as I walk by and like a toddler whining with arms outstretched, you have to pick them up. It's just gotta be done...acoustic or not.

I at almost 70 yrs old have decided that I like the nylon string just fine. For what ever reason, some songs are just right on one. "Girl From Ipanema" and "One note Samba" wouldn't sound good on anything but...
While I play both these songs on my nylon string guitar, I also have played them on my PRS HB II (chords and solos) and songs sound great (at least to my tin ears :))

Back