Which Artist, Which Session?

You wouldn't have wanted to be near Roger Waters during this period of the band. At best....you'd get cursed out repeatedly. Worse, you might have gotten spit on. Repeatedly.

Roger appears to have mellowed out a bit in his mid-60's.

I know, I think that's what intrigues me...

Did you ever read Gerald Scarfe's account of The Wall? Great book! It's Richard Wright I felt most sorry for. Always seemed like a decent, quiet guy who just got on with things.

Yeah....my fascination with Roger's "meltdown" circa '77 is fueled by the fact that while I never sat in on any sessions...I was "fortunate" enough to be at one of the two shows that (allegedly) influenced the creation of "The Wall".

My show was the 7/3/77 (I think) show at MSG. they opened with "Animals" and as Roger sat on the stage with his acoustic, playing "Pigs on the Wing" somebody in the audience shot off an M-80. His reaction was over the top. After the yelling and cursing of the crowd, he came an inch from pulling the band off the stage.

I wasn't at the show about a week later in Toronto, during which he lured a fan to the front of the stage area and then spat on him.

These two incidents are supposedly the seeds that led to the isolationary, cynical and bitter themes that comprised "The Wall".

By the time "The final cut" was released, David and Roger were basically no longer speaking and Rick Wright was relegated to "session player".

Too bad...IMO they represented the pinnicle of the genre and their creativity from "Meddle" throught "The Wall" was unparalled, again IMO.

Yeah....my fascination with Roger's "meltdown" circa '77 is fueled by the fact that while I never sat in on any sessions...I was "fortunate" enough to be at one of the two shows that (allegedly) influenced the creation of "The Wall".

My show was the 7/3/77 (I think) show at MSG. they opened with "Animals" and as Roger sat on the stage with his acoustic, playing "Pigs on the Wing" somebody in the audience shot off an M-80. His reaction was over the top. After the yelling and cursing of the crowd, he came an inch from pulling the band off the stage.

I wasn't at the show about a week later in Toronto, during which he lured a fan to the front of the stage area and then spat on him.

These two incidents are supposedly the seeds that led to the isolationary, cynical and bitter themes that comprised "The Wall".

By the time "The final cut" was released, David and Roger were basically no longer speaking and Rick Wright was relegated to "session player".

Too bad...IMO they represented the pinnicle of the genre and their creativity from "Meddle" throught "The Wall" was unparalled, again IMO.

I'd agree. Consistant brilliance.

I'll be honest, I also love The Final Cut. The title track in particular is quite moving. Very raw.

Back