Where Were You In '82? Yet Another Play-thing!

László

Too Many Notes
You weren't born yet in '82, probably. But I was. And I liked fusion music.

When we left off last, I had uploaded something somewhat 60s jazzy sounding.

Tonight I was tweaking a synth patch, and realized it sounded a lot like a fusion synth from the early 80s. So I wrote a track with it. Once again, I purposely left guitar off, figuring you guys might have a go at it.

So without further ado, I present Welcome to 1982 for your delectation and potential participation:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/welcome-to-1982

If you want to play around with it, just PM me an email address for a link. :wave:

1982 was one of the high light years of my life for reasons unspoken, but unrelated to music. So I was born and very much alive in 1982. Thanks for the nostalgia.

I was 21 in college soon to meet my wife
Can't wait to try this one out :)

1st year of high school. Probably my favorite time for music.

Still having a good time with the Spartacus tune but I haven't recorded yet. Was away all weekend.

Now I'm looking forward to doing both. Thanks Les.

1982? First date with my now-wife (we'd known each other for a couple years). And I remember the actual date because it was the day John Belushi died. She laughs when I say that and tries to play it off, but then I tell her what she had to eat, and that pretty much seals it.

And then Randy Rhoads died two weeks later. It was probably a sign, but she didn't take the hint, and here we are 30+ years later.

Ah, fifth grade. Let's see. That means Joy Division, the Cure, and Flock of Seagulls interspersed with Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Beatles! and anything Surf guitar oriented. I'd had my first guitar for a couple years, but the neck was too big and the string tension too high for my wee hands.

I'm pretty sure I was listening to Loverboy at this time, but I'm not going to mention them...

I was 18 and had the world by the short-and-curlies
Now I'm wearing a cup, a helmet and a bullet-proof vest

Randy Rhodes was my favorite until he was killed in a plane crash

You weren't born yet in '82, probably. But I was. And I liked fusion music.

When we left off last, I had uploaded something somewhat 60s jazzy sounding.

Tonight I was tweaking a synth patch, and realized it sounded a lot like a fusion synth from the early 80s. So I wrote a track with it. Once again, I purposely left guitar off, figuring you guys might have a go at it.

So without further ado, I present Welcome to 1982 for your delectation and potential participation:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/welcome-to-1982

If you want to play around with it, just PM me an email address for a link. :wave:

Last edited:
Graduated High School in 82...great times...love Styx, Queen, Rush...Steelers, Orioles...crap, not much has changed.

Last edited:
I don't know what I was doing in '82 but in '83 I was making the face you see in my avatar.

I was 12, in guitar lessons learning to play "When the Saints go Marching in" on my trusty GEM acoustic. At night, I tried to learn Led Zeppelin and Ozzy songs.

I remember playing on the playground with my fellow kindergartners. It was fall and the leaves had piled up. I was wearing a spider man T-shirt, it was my favorite.

One day, the teacher was playing on the in-class piano. My front bottom tooth was loose and I pulled it out. My friend Mikey Wright got up and yelled HEY LOOK JOHN LOST A TOOTH and the teacher got really upset because he interrupted the song.

Another day, my brother had bought the J Geils Band album Freeze Frame. The last song on the record was called "Piss on the Wall" and when my mom heard us listening to it, she couldn't believe he was playing me such trash. She took the album like a frisbee and shattered it on the wall. My brother said, "You owe me $2.50!!"

Another memory, my mom picked me up one day in our 1980 VW Dasher hatchback and said, "we bought a new car today!" I went home and there was a 1983 Frost Blue Toyota Camry hatchback. I eventually drove that car, we had it a long time.

That's about everything I really remember from 1982.

January 9th was my grand entrance....been awesome ever since. BTW, I dig the track and appreciate some fusion.

In 1982 I was bolting sidepipes to my 1975 cutlass supreme, fumbling with cassette tapes and rocking a fender duo-sonic. The duo-sonic was hard to play and wouldn't stay in tune. The following year I got pissed off and bought my 1983 G&L Nighthawk and said goodbye to the duo-chronic! I had some sort of fender head with a musicman 4x12 cab. Wish I still had the cab.

In 1982 I was running my little 4 lawyer law firm in Detroit's Renaissance Center, and going to court. A lot. That's pretty much all I cared about. And I was a madman, I figured if I worked hard enough, I could out-prepare my opposition. My theory was that knowing your case makes for winning more often than not. So that's what I did. It worked, so maybe I was right.

I cranked at law from early morning until late at night, every day. Friends from that era tell me that I was a "hitter" in court, and wonder why the heck I was crazy enough to go into music.

But I was bored with law after a while. Everything got to be the same every day. And with hard work, pretty much anyone can do law. I wanted to do something more challenging, and more intellectually stimulating (for me; there are plenty of intellectual challenges in law, but a person has to do what they find interesting). So I started making a living in music.

By 1991 I had built a studio and was in the music business full time.

Funny how life changes. I can't say whether I made the right or the wrong move, but it's what happened and somehow it was ok.

Last edited:
By 1980, I had done everything that was important to me at the time. Got a Master's Degree like I promised my Mom. Made sure my Grandpa had the best quality of life he could before he passed and helped my Mom & Dad do what they wanted to do when my Dad retired .. and, of course thru all those years, I had been playing Guitar, Banjo and Mandolin in every situation you could imagine.
Lived through Beatlemania, Summer of Love, Sexual Revolution (the real one, where you actually got some) and the birth of Rock 'n Roll as we know it today.

So, by 1982, I was playing fulltime in a stable (well, relatively) band that toured all over Canada and the US. We also got a couple of trips to Europe.
Livin' the dream ... Damn, I miss those days :bawling:.

Last edited:
By 1980, I had done everything that was important to me at the time. Got a Master's Degree like I promised my Mom. Made sure my Grandpa had the best quality of life he could before he passed and helped my Mom & Dad do what they wanted to do when my Dad retired .. and, of course thru all those years, I had been playing Guitar, Banjo and Mandolin in every situation you could imagine.
Lived through Beatlemania, Summer of Love, Sexual Revolution (the real one, where you actually got some) and the birth of Rock 'n Roll as we know it today.

So, by 1982, I was playing fulltime in a stable (well, relatively) band that toured all over Canada and the US. We also got a couple of trips to Europe.
Livin' the dream ... Damn, I miss those days :bawling:.

I must say I admire this!

I was in 8th grade, taking piano lessons during recess at my catholic school.
Saw my first concert. Journey. Brian Adams opened. (both fantastic.)
The Journey bassist for that tour (Frontiers) was non other than Randy Jackson from American Idol.

The Country was in recession in 1982. Life was hard in the mfg sector. I packed up my "72" El Camino & drove to Oklahoma, where I spent 22 months working in the Oil Patch. I worked in high pressure / deep well country & it was very much like being in the TV show "Deadliest Catch". Quite a thrilling experience & certainly a young mans game. The deep well Oil patch was damn hard work, but extremely rewarding.

I was just starting in kindergarten, but even then, everyone in my life knew I was destined for mediocrity...

Back