Where to put Mary Cries Compressor?

DougGuitar

I'm using a SE Hollowbody Standard into a UA Dream 65 and Ox Stomp. (This is my apartment low noise peddle board)
I just bought a Mary Cries Compressor. Question: Where is the best place to put the compressor-before or after the Dream 65?

Thanks.

It'll work anywhere in your chain but before the Dream '65 is the best place to start for typical guitar pedal compression. OX Stomp has an 1176 style compressor which I'd use for studio style compression after the amp/cab.

And yes, you can use Mary in front and the OX 1176 comp at the same time.

It'll work anywhere in your chain but before the Dream '65 is the best place to start for typical guitar pedal compression. OX Stomp has an 1176 style compressor which I'd use for studio style compression after the amp/cab.

And yes, you can use Mary in front and the OX 1176 comp at the same time.

I know Stomp has that compressor, but like I said before, I like having external pedals for effects-easier to access and in a lot of cases better sounding. Besides, I don't need studio style anything as I'm just playing and practicing at home. The only "recording I do" is looping on my Boss RC-10R.

Where you place the compressor in your signal chain really depends on what you want it to do. A compressor controls dynamics, which is the difference between the softest sound you play and the loudest. You can use it at the beginning to balance out your guitar sound before you go into anything else. You can also use it after your drives to even out volume differences when switching between pedals or stacking them. There are a number of good uses for a compressor and the different uses will typically dictate how you dial the compressor in.

Don't get too worked up over the word "studio" when attached to a compressor. It means different things to different people. To me, it means how many and what controls are on the compressor. I will only buy compressors with specific controls on them. That way I know I an dial them in how I want them for where I put them in my signal chain.

Putting them after drive stages, in the effects loop, may raise the noise floor but it will also make you sound like the mega-racks of the glorious 1980's.

Yes.^^

It's all about where it works for the player, what you're trying to accomplish, and how you set them. I like mine to control the peaks after the overdrives. I use light compression just to tame the peaks above a certain amplitude, the way I would use a bus compressor on a console to control the amplitude peaks of the guitars post-recording.

We're all different. That's a great thing.

Putting them after drive stages, in the effects loop, may raise the noise floor but it will also make you sound like the mega-racks of the glorious 1980's.
When I get home, I’ll try it after an OD and maybe even in the loop. The HDRX doesn’t have a loop though, so I can only try it “ post OD” with that one. I can throw it on the loop of the Bogner and Archon

I used to use a rack compressor in the loop of a Boogie Mark IIB with light compression and it smoothed and fattened things up and helped the MKIIB play nicely with delays in the loop, I also used a pedal compressor in front of the amp as a solo boost. Not all compression has to be squishy.

Back