When/How did you first discover PRS guitars?

First time I remember, was watching SNL in 1997 - Silverchair guitarist was using a emerald green CU24?.... Thought it looked cool & sought 'em out. Upon seeing them for the first time I asked about trem stability, and I was NOT a fan of Floyd Rose trems. I was amazed. Didn't get my first one until sometime around 2000, it was an Archtop II. Rocked it too much, lots of long late-night gigs, and had some cracks... fixed it & decided it was time for another road guitar. In came the McCarty. Still have 'em both & currently toying with the idea of how I'm going to creatively finance my 3rd PRS through trading, selling, and the tiny bit of cash I've got.

null_zpsdbf24200.jpg

May 1986. Went to buy a Les Paul at a small local guitar shop and saw three unusual guitars hanging on the wall. Birds on the neck. Strange tuners. Great tops and finishes. Took 'em down and played them all.
Bought #6 00644 (which I foolishly let go and would love to have back) and have played PRS ever since, including my Tony McManus private stock acoustic and roughly a dozen various model electrics.

I was a LP copy and a Strat player all my life. It was the late 80's and I heard or read about PRS. After doing some reasearch, I knew that was going to be my next guitar.
In '93, I was able to actually afford one and went on a hunt. I was there all day and tried out about 7 or 8 guitars.
The guys must of realized I was serious and brought up a few more from downstairs. I tried them all out and went home with this one.

SDC10267copy.jpg

The first time I ever heard of PRS guitars was in early 1994, in a guitar magazine's review of a Rush concert. This was the Counterparts tour, and I had just discovered Rush and become a fan of the band the previous year. Alex Lifeson was said to have been playing a purple Paul Reed Smith guitar for most of the show (it was probably actually a black cherry CE-24). I had never heard the name before and assumed it was some kind of superstrat a la Charvel or Jackson. Eventually I noticed PRS being prominently displayed at the local music store, and I thought they were interesting, but way out of my price range.

In 1996, Alex Lifeson released his solo album, Victor, and the advertising prominently featured him with his CE-24 guitars. Later that year, Rush released Test For Echo, and on December 2 of that year, I saw Rush play in San Antonio. It was my first Rush show -- in fact, it was my first time attending a major arena concert. As on the previous tour, Lifeson played a couple of CE-24s for most of the night. I think he whipped out a black Les Paul for 2112, but everything else was done on those CE-24s. I bought the T4E tour poster from the merch booth. The pictures of Lifeson all featured him playing that black cherry CE-24. I think that was the point at which I decided I wanted a PRS.

In 1999, I finally had the money, and I went in to the local music store and ordered my first Custom 24.

Last edited:
Back