When did you know you wanted to play guitar?

Chris528

For me, it was the first time hearing Anthrax. They are my all time favorite band and Scott Ian has always been my favorite guitarist. About 10 years ago I was lucky enough to meet them at a concert and is something I will never forget. I will have to try and find the pic of me and Scott because I was wearing a PRS shirt at the time.

Who did it for you?

The whole "Makes me wanna grab my guitar, and play with it all night long" part. It was like Lando Calrissian an' Colt 45 tellin' me who I wanted to be someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was 9 or so, I saw a clip of Ian Anderson rocking on a flute with Jethro Tull. So, when I started 4th grade and got to pick an instrument to learn, flute was it! Started lessons with another girl who had been playing flute for a couple of years. The teacher was far more interested in teaching her more advanced stuff than teaching me the basics. So after 3 weeks of me complaining I was getting headaches (since he wasn't teaching me to breath correctly), he took the flute away and handed me a guitar. Said something like "try this, you won't have to breath so hard". Spent the next 6 years trying to learn whatever I could from anyone else who'd teach me. Picked up the basic open chords and even a few simple 3 chord progression songs. At 15 I finally convinced my mother I was serious about needing real lessons. Often wonder how much better of a player I'd be if I actually started full lessons at 9.

When I heard the opening riff to this song when I was 12 yrs old..

Last edited by a moderator:
When I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees. and asked the lord for mercy, the heavens parted and a guitar in a paisley case suddenly appeared by my side.

A voice said, "Son, it's easier to take this to parties than your piano."

I grabbed that guitar, said, "Thank you very much whoever you are," and went on runnin' down a dream.

Next thing I knew, I was riding on the Mayflower when I thought I spied some land.

Last edited:
I knew at a very early age I wanted to play music. Maybe 6 or so. I was sure I would be a drummer though. PRS doesn't make drums.

Forgot to mention that I was at a relatives house and there was a toy guitar. I was messin around with it and made a chord that I remember hearing on gunsmoke theme song. I was hooked.

I don't remember not wanting to play guitar. Nobody in my family played guitar--my mom played some piano, and every once in a blue moon my dad would get out the violin he'd had since he was a kid, and make the most god-awful racket you ever heard--I knew I didn't want to do that! I really don't know why I chose the guitar--I think it chose me! When rock 'n' roll came along in the mid-1950's, I was about 5, and anything guitar-related just got me going. Cowboy movies on TV, Les Paul and Mary Ford, then surf music around 1961--I was just obsessed. After a brief attempt with the piano (because we had one!), I finally started playing guitar at 12, in '62, during what Martin Mull calls The Great Folk Scare of the '60's--but for me it was rock 'n' roll, even when all I had was a nylon-string acoustic.

1975. Aged 10. Queen on Top of the Pops doing Bohemian Rhapsody. Brian May's solo and the heavy bit at the end (Wayne's World bit). Also, around the same time, my brother playing me Santana's Samba Pa Ti. Daydreamed about being able to play it. Wanted an Aria Les Paul copy but could only afford a Grant (POS). Fifty quid back then... That's a fortune now and it was such a crap guitar...

Remember not even knowing what 'distortion' was and trying to explain the sound I wanted to the bloke in the music store (by clearing my throat). Bought a Mr Twang combo and paid extra for tremelo because my dad said it was a good feature (it wasn't and it cost me ten quid more). Turned it up full and put pillows around it.

kiss-alive1.jpg

My friend gave it to me. His parents didn't approve of it.
Mine did.
Loud, distorted guitars missed him and engulfed me for life.

Kiss posters on the walls of my best friend's older brother's room...We stole his "Love Gun" album and went and played it on my turntable and that was it...a week or so later I found a $20 bill while out playing ($20 in 1977 was a HUGE amount of money for a 7 year old!) and after my Mom made me ask the neighbor's if it was theirs first, she took me to Peaches so I could use it to buy my own copy of "Love Gun" and the guy there said I should also get "Kiss Alive" which I did and I was hooked from then on. So between my friend's older brother and whoever lost that $20 bill, I owe them!

I share the same name as Anthrax's bass player. It's a mixed blessing. Groupies and fans occasionally contact me but my wife get's pi$$ed off every time someone calls, emails me, etc.

I grew up playing accordion, I was around 12 when I realized I couldn't play "Whole Lot of Love" on that thing. I had a paper delivery route at the time and saved up enough to buy a used baby blue Fender Mustang (I'm sure it would have been a PRS if they had been around at the time:wink:). Anyway, sure wish I still had that pup.

Last edited:
14 years old. Iron Maiden, Pantera and Sepultura posters in the bedroom´s wall, dreaming every day that i was playing those metal riffs on the guitar.. (i was starting to play an acoustic one, just learning the basics..), then, a FACHIM (that was the brand) strat came as a birthday gift. As you know, music is a trip you don´t come back... lol.. Now ended up this 29 year old, PRS lover, Hard Rock/Classic Rock/Blues (and Metal too!) guitar player.... That´s it!

:rock:

I was about 5 and a neighbour had an acoustic that he let me goof around with. I banged on keyboards until I got a little guitar of my own some years later and tried to teach myself some proper music. That guitar turned to ashes and a while later I decided to play bass because they had double basses in the new school I started and it seemed way more hip than the french horn which I had been playing in the previous school. I still wanted to play guitar, but there was much less competition on bass so I stuck with that.
Stole a really crap guitar when I went away to university and bought a classical with my bonus from a summer as a carny - disected the crap guitar and started really learning guitar.
Stairway to Heaven was a challenge on a classical, but that was what you had to be able to play at the time.

All of which means it was holding a guitar that did it for me, not anything I heard. And it took me about 15 years to get a guitar that was good enough that I felt like I might be able to play one day.

When my neighbor brought over a guitar to my house when I was about 9-10. He played Glycerine by Bush and then I was hooked.

Early 1983 ish- Turned on a radio program and heard three songs I'd never heard before and didn't even know who it was.... Cold Shot, Pride and Joy, and Couldn't Stand the Weather.

In 1971 after hearing the concept album of Jesus Christ Superstar. Neil Hubbard and Henry McCullough tore it up. There were a lot of great musicians from the English music and theater scene on that album, most notably Ian Gillan from Deep Purple. My parents were church youth leaders in the late 60's, and I got exposed to a lot of the 60's music when the teenagers from that group looked after me when I was between 5 and 7 years old back in 1968-1970. I saw a lot things I probably shouldn't have. I knew I wanted to play the music, I just didn't know it was guitar until 1971. Unfortunately, that brush with guitar didn't take.

After Led Zeppelin IV reached anthem status in the states in1975, I decided pick up guitar again, and it stuck this time.

Last edited:
My sister played the flute and was 1st chair all-city her senior year (best high school flute player in Virginia Beach) which inspired me to also to play music. We went to her concerts and stuff all the time and I really enjoyed the experience of it. Between 5th and 6th grade I played cello, viola, alto sax, xylophone/bells, bass drum, and snare drum. 7th grade was the start of junior high and I switched to baritone sax. Together with the trombonist, we were the low end in Intermediate 7th grade band - everyone else played trumpet, alto sax, flute, clarinet and drums. I was chosen for an all city performance and sat next to an electric bass player. I thought it was awesome how he could turn his volume knob down and play/practice while the conductor was trying to work out parts with individuals or groups of players and we were all just sitting there bored. I had also been messing around with my sister's classical guitar and started writing riffs and songs before I ever learned to play some other song.

My brother, by the time I was in 7th grade, was also in high school and was my parent's worst nightmare. He had older friends who played in a punk band and played the local punk clubs. He was sneaking out his window at night to go drink. Worst of all he was playing DRI, 7 Seconds, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Dag Nasty, the Dead Kennedys, etc etc etc for his 11 year old brother. I would hang out with him and his friends sometimes, they would build skate ramps and I would try to keep up with their moves. I even went to a Face Reality band practice once, the band where his friend Nelson played - it was awesome. Nelson had a Hondo 2 Les Paul Custom copy with a bolt on neck that he sold to me for $45. For my 12th birthday I got a Crate G20 with a 12" speaker. It was all downhill from there.

Back