When did you first hear about PRS and what made you want to own one?

I first learned about PRS guitars when I was watching Skunk Anansie videos and noticed the bird inlays on Ace’s guitar. I thought it looked elegant and wanted to find out who made it.

I went to Guitar Center to try one out and I hated it! I don’t know which model it was but in hindsight it was likely because it was poorly set up and I wasn’t feeling the neck carve. It wasn’t until I was at a vintage guitar shop while on vacation that I gave it another go and suddenly everything clicked. Like, the clouds parted and a choir of angels sang. This time, I took note of what I was playing and have lusted after PRS and 594s ever since.

I think I had first heard about PRS probably 20 years ago, but knew they were out of my price range. About 10 years ago I started looking for electrics and loved what I saw, except the price. Even the SE's were out of my league. 3 years ago I sold off my amp, a Squire Standard HSS Strat, a Chibson LP, a Vantage Acoustic, a Fender PJ Bass, a Squire J Bass and my Digitech Pedals. At that time I said if I ever buy another guitar it would be an Ovation or PRS. I now own both, and if I have my way, I may just buy a PS 22 or a 245 Single Cut.

qJPkoUj.jpg

When I was a youngster (about 9 or 10) I was learning guitar. A family friend showed me "a replica of Santana's guitar buy the guy who made it, this one was made a bit darker for me". This would have been about 2001-2002ish. In my memory, the body shape was asymmetrical like a CU24. But I know the guy loves Santanas and I've seen some of his newer Santanas. Putting my visual memory aside, I think he had a darker orangy yellow Santana (either PS or artist, I'm not sure when artist or PS started). At that time, I didn't have interest in PRS guitars. I was 9.

Over the years, that memory stuck with me. I stopped playing guitar for a while. Other things were important to me in high school. I regret taking a break from guitar, but I also don't regret it. I came back to the guitar a couple times, but not for long. All-in-all I had owned an ESP and two Kramers. I decided a couple years ago that I wanted to get back into guitar again, not long after seeing Carlos Santana play in Southern California. I have always been a big fan. I was scouring the internet for quality, affordable guitars. Came upon some awesome looking SE's. The reviews were great. My childhood memory was drudged up from the depths, and my interest in Carlos fueled the fire.

People I know and famous artists probably have the greatest impact my interest in guitars. Maybe that's superficial of me but whatever. Jimmy Page and Slash are a couple of my other favorites so I have some GAS that I do my best to keep quiet on this forum.

I was droolling over a midnight wine guitar in a store, and a disturbingly pink one, and my friend said, "look at PRSses, I think you'll find one that visually appeals to you and your weird tastes, and you'll get a great guitar at the same time."

It was 2010, and I was at the first Dweezil Zappa band camp in New York for 6 days.
I had never seen nor heard of PRS at the time and was considering an EC Strat at the time.
They had numerous open cases of core PRS guitars lying around that you could just pick up and play any time you liked.
:eek:
I was lucky enough to win a SE ONE there, which I got signed by DZ

The whole thing completely changed my perspective. When I got back I played the SE ONE every practice and gig.
Then I found a 305 a couple of months later (cuz I was still hooked on strattyness).
The playability, fit/finish, and the whole damn story turned me into an unabashed fanboi toady.
Five PRS guitars later... it tastes like more.

I first learned about PRS guitars when I was watching Skunk Anansie videos and noticed the bird inlays on Ace’s guitar. I thought it looked elegant and wanted to find out who made it.

I went to Guitar Center to try one out and I hated it! I don’t know which model it was but in hindsight it was likely because it was poorly set up and I wasn’t feeling the neck carve. It wasn’t until I was at a vintage guitar shop while on vacation that I gave it another go and suddenly everything clicked. Like, the clouds parted and a choir of angels sang. This time, I took note of what I was playing and have lusted after PRS and 594s ever since.

I live in Maryland and have been familiar with PRS since the late 80s. For the longest time, much of my interest in owning one was their being local. the look of them, and the expense, quite honestly. Once I started actually trying them, I realized I liked how they played too. Finally got a SE in 2009 and later a moved up to the cores in 2016.

I was in a seance, trying to have a confab with Jimi Hendrix. For a while, the only person we could reach was Mr. Ed, but then Voodoo Child started playing out of thin air, solo, wah and all, no vocal, no bass, no drums. Freaky, right?

Anyway, a mysterious thing happened. The pointer on a Ouija board on the table started moving by itself, and spelled out, one letter at a time, “If I were still alive I’d buy a PRS.”

When Jimi Freaking Hendrix tells you to buy a PRS via a Ouija board, you’d better go out and buy a PRS. I ran out of there as fast as I could, jumped in my car, and headed straight for a guitar shop.

“Take my money,” I said, as I grabbed a PRS off the wall.

I’d probably have bought one if Mr. Ed had suggested it, too.

I remember seeing one at Makin Music in Santana yellow - it was amazing. Played one at a GC some time later - it was amazing. Bought my first one used - it was amazing. I have owned maybe 14 more - all amazing.

Maybe you’re amazed at the way you love them all the time?

Maybe you’re amazed at the way they help you sing your song?

Right you when you’re wrong,

Maybe you’re amazed at the way you really need them.

Maybe you’re amazed at the way you love them all the time?

Maybe you’re amazed at the way they help you sing your song?

Right you when you’re wrong,

Maybe you’re amazed at the way you really need them.
When you were young, and you're axe was a shitty strat
You used to say, gig and let gig
(you know you did, you know you did, you know you did)
But on this ever changing stage on which we gig in
Makes your fingers just cry...
Play PRS or die....

When you were young, and you're axe was a shitty strat
You used to say, gig and let gig
(you know you did, you know you did, you know you did)
But on this ever changing stage on which we gig in
Makes your fingers just cry...
Play PRS or die....

Now you’re talkin’!

I’ve been sort of vaguely aware of them since they started showing up in shops. But by the time I became aware of them, I wasn’t really playing much anymore and definitely wasn’t buying guitars and double dutch waaaaay definitely wasn’t buying expensive guitars. Which all PRS were in those days. So I’d see them in shops and think they sure were purty, and I knew Carlos played one, but that was about as far as it went until quite recently. Started playing a lot again about a year ago and have come to discover that this long time strat guy has evolved over time into more of a humbucker guy and started thinking about what might be a great humbucker guitar to treat myself to for a big upcoming birthday. And that put PRS on the radar pretty close to front and center. So I’m just starting to check em out - no idea yet if I’m gonna end up with one or not... But I’m DEFINITELY aware of them!

Edit - I ended up with one...

Last edited:
It was October 1987. Walked into a local music shop for something else- I don't even remember what- and saw an amazing guitar behind the glass in their showcase. It had a flamed top, a gorgeous sunburst finish, and inlaid abalone birds diving down the fretboard. I couldn't take my eyes off it and had to ask the guy what it was. The reply was right out of Spinal Tap, "No, no, don't even look at that one." Someone had custom ordered and waited for months; it had arrived that morning and they'd only just unpacked it. He told me it was one of a kind and I'd have to order in advance and wait till the next year if I wanted one. Then another fella passing by mentioned, "Y'know, another box came off the truck when that one did. Let me pull it out."

I watched them cut the packing tape and take out a case. They opened it and inside was this sleek, beautiful plain black axe. No curly maple or fancy inlays, just simple perfection of form. At the time I'd been using pretty flashy instruments (a korina Moderne, a blue '63 Strat, a headless hot pink Kramer Duke, a tangerine gold Floydcaster, a flametop Les Paul, all of them were "look at me" guitars) and this one was so completely different... Understated. Wicked. Perfect.

I picked it up to play a few notes and have never been the same. That's not hyperbole; it was a genuine epiphany for me. I knew before I even plugged it in that this was something very special. It honestly felt as if the guitar had awakened and was speaking to me through my fingertips. I think only another player can really get what I'm trying to put into words here. I was an instant convert. Then I tried it through an amp. I couldn't believe the tone, and the feel, and the sheer range of sounds, even at low volume on an unfamiliar rig. When I looked up again, hours had passed. I wrote a check on the spot to hold it, and came back after my next paycheck to bring it home.

They say that sometimes the best things come into your life when you aren't looking for them and don't expect them. That's been true for me on several occasions. This guitar was one of them.

After more than thirty years together that axe is still a favorite. It sings like an angel, has a ton of personality, plays wonderfully- supernaturally lively, great neck feel, incredible versatility from the T&B pickups, perfect trem with no tuning issues, and just rock solid stability all around- hasn't needed any adjustment for decades.

It's the first axe I ever was inspired to give a name to, and one of the very few guitars in my stable that hasn't been modded at all. I wouldn't change a thing.

I first took notice of PRS instruments in the early 90s, and reacted to them with an inexplicable flatline. Played a good friend's CE in the mid 90s (after seeing Alex Lifeson sporting a couple), and was really excited about the demo.... but still flatlined. What was wrong with me? All I can figure is I was a very different player then (and was all up in a different kool-aid). I just didn't "get it" ... and the birds did my head in. Man, that's embarrassing to type. :D

By July 2016 I was trying to find a quality instrument in a different direction, after taking a hiatus from music entirely. Sold a small stable full of strats and other stuff, and set off hunting. I wanted something versatile, packing vintage inspiration but with modern construction and hardware. My timing ended up being pretty good as the McCarty 594 had just started hitting the racks. Found the closest Signature Dealer after poring over clips and reviews, and spent a couple hours going through a pile of WL 594s. Immediate love, I walked with the one in my avatar, it just ticked all the boxes -- and the penny dropped, hard. It all happened so fast that I didn't even test-drive outside the PRS line for that purchase.

Love reading everyone else's stories, good stuff!

I first noticed PRS many years before I started playing guitar. The year was 2007, and I was watching the Breaking Benjamin Homecoming concert on HDNet. Ben Burnley playing PRS at the time, and I fell in love with the Whale Blue McCarty, as seen in this video. When the time finally did come for me to start playing guitar, I made a beeline for PRS. And I've never looked back.

Kevin

I had quit playing guitar for almost 20 years, sold everything off. A friend at work heard that I used to play and wanted me to show him some old 70's rock songs. This was 2003. I had stayed tuned in to music and guitars even though I didn't play, and saw Ted Nugent's zebra PRS in a video, so I was aware.
When I went to his house, he had a Standard 22 with birds. Don't recall the year, but it had a 5-way rotary. As soon as I hung it around my neck and fumbled through a few songs, I was hooked.
There's more to it, that's the short version.

Talking about myself I noticed PRS advertisements in guitar magazines In the very early 1990s. At that time I got interested in guitars. Several facts kept me away from acquiring one at that moment: playing skills, lack of money, no e-commerce, availability, the different neck profiles (in addition to what is in stock a the limited numbers of traders at that time or the time you have to wait for special orders). In 2000 I played a CU24 with W/T profile and didn't like the haptic of the neck. At that time I already had owned a 1995 Parker Fly Deluxe, and its neck felt comfortable to me.
In mid of 2011 I checked YT for some Steve Vai stuff and additional clips where recommended. In one of those a guy named Dave Weiner showed a PRS type (body design) guitar with a supposed HSH pickup layout. I watched the clip, got the knowledge that it's actually a PRS, model 513. How to overcome the neck profile issue? Oh, very good, there's only Pattern Regular. Get used to or die...
I had the money and decided to procure one after defining my must haves (10T, quilted, Black Gold, nickel hardware). In my country none was available. Thank god for internet and e-commerce. I found a few at US based web shops. The one I was affected most was in stock at Wildwood Guitars, Louisville, CO, USA. I asked them regarding my intention, we made a deal and this particular guitar turned to be my property.
I'm of the opinion that this is MY guitar I needed. Later I owned a 2017 Holcomb SE, modified it (my 513 is modified and aestheticly individualized, too), but there won't be the bounding to it than to the 513.

Last edited:
Back