When did this one came out?

nicolasrivera

I came across a sale of an SE 2 channel 30watts amp thats looks more like those "H" models, different in look to the initial SE amp line. what to know more about this if any one has tried them, are they a bit different from the initial run of SE amps?

Thanks.

24412326908_765eafe50c_z.jpg
[

I have seen these pop up too, and wondered the same. So I will be watching this thread with interested!

LOL, I almost bought one on the 'verb" because I thought someone didn't know what they had and it was a real USA model... then I zoomed enough to see the MIC on the back. Never heard of them. Could be a real nice amp for what it was selling for...

I'm right there with you. I have a Custom 20 (certified USA) head. I'd take this one if it's the same.

Not to derail, but how do you like the C20 head? I have a 50 watt head. It sounds great when I crank it up louder than I usually can. Very good at lower volumes, but great up loud.

Not to derail, but how do you like the C20 head? I have a 50 watt head. It sounds great when I crank it up louder than I usually can. Very good at lower volumes, but great up loud.

It’s supposed to be loud! It’s a guitar amplifier, with a loudspeaker!

You’re supposed to hear it over bass, drums, horn sections, keyboards, etc. Of what use is a guitar amplifier that isn’t capable of playing in a band? Might as well play an acoustic guitar.

And yes, I know. I’m an infinite loop of old school BS. So? ;)

I came across a sale of an SE 2 channel 30watts amp thats looks more like those "H" models, different in look to the initial SE amp line. what to know more about this if any one has tried them, are they a bit different from the initial run of SE amps?

Thanks.

24412326908_765eafe50c_z.jpg
[

I had one for a few years, liked it a lot but sold it because I liked it so much I grabbed a Custom 50, and then it was redundant to have it. Didn't have the newer look, few were made like that, but I think it was the same circuitry inside.

My thoughts - great for recording and moderate volume playing, but got heavy on the bass when totally opened up. The more I think about it, the more I think it may have had something to do with an integrated negative feedback design in the master volume. If you look at the MV pots, they were a double pot, obviously one part controlled the volume, I theorize that the other was a negative feedback, like a depth or presence circuit, that was preset to adjust along with the control to keep the tone even, but it couldn't keep up at high volumes. That's just my theory though, and I'm not an amp expert by any stretch of the imagination!

Interesting, as I haven't looked at my 50. But, it is heavy on the bottom end. I remember a demo where PRSh said something like "like the good vintage amps, when you turn it up, you have to turn the bass down and even the mids down." Something pretty close to that. And mine definitely has to have the bass turned down, even at 10:00 on the master. I cured the bottom heavy voicing by hitting it with a Timmy with the bass cut and the treble boosted, and it's a match made in heaven.

That said, if someone offered to trade me a 20 head (which I have hardly ever see, I've seen all combos) and a little cash for my 50 head, I'd do it in a second. The amp sounds great turned up loud. Somebody who gigs could really use this. For me, it sounds it's best at volumes I can rarely ever use.

Interesting, as I haven't looked at my 50. But, it is heavy on the bottom end. I remember a demo where PRSh said something like "like the good vintage amps, when you turn it up, you have to turn the bass down and even the mids down." Something pretty close to that. And mine definitely has to have the bass turned down, even at 10:00 on the master. I cured the bottom heavy voicing by hitting it with a Timmy with the bass cut and the treble boosted, and it's a match made in heaven.

That said, if someone offered to trade me a 20 head (which I have hardly ever see, I've seen all combos) and a little cash for my 50 head, I'd do it in a second. The amp sounds great turned up loud. Somebody who gigs could really use this. For me, it sounds it's best at volumes I can rarely ever use.

I could definitely hear the mids open up on my 30 (and even on my Custom 50 when it's crankin) which is a nice sound to have, not overbearing. Couldn't quite get the bottom out on it though - in retrospect I should've gotten the 50, because the 30 was hitting its useful volume ceiling just short of where I needed it with the band. Just kind of got lost in the mix sometimes. But, I recorded heavy guitar tracks on that thing that crushed. Kinda wish I still had it for that.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner about my Custom 20. It's my 2nd favorite. It is by no means a "bedroom" amp, to me.
My single channel Sweet 16 is #1, and it has to be kinda loud to sound its best. I bought the Custom 20 because it was a 2 channel, and the gain channel should have picked up the lower volume gain I was hoping for. Almost.
Both the gain and clean channel need to be opened up a little to sound good. To my ears. I just spent a few hours going through tube changes, biasing, and pedal setups. All I found was that it is a really good amp that needs to "breathe" to sound its best.
Takes pedals very well, the effects loop keeps the delay and chorus out of the gain stage. Hitting the front of the clean channel with a distortion pedal, or just using the boost on the footswitch for the gain channel works very well.
There has to be a db level to determine just what "bedroom " is. I haven't played an amp that was reported as being that, that was anywhere near low volume enough. Those guys or gals must sleep near airports or train yards.

I have one. I got it a while back from Dave's. I'm not sure if they were ever released with that faceplate. Maybe they came out with the Sonzera and discontinued these? The clean channel sounds great. Kind of Fenderish with the 6v6 tubes. The lead channel had too much gain. I replaced one of the preamp tubes just today actually and it sounds better and I'm liking the lead channel more. Just for the clean channel it's worth it, it does get crunchy and sounds great with pedals. The reverb is nice and I usually leave it on.

So this came in yesterday!

So far i have to say this amp is far better then what i was expecting. Clean channel is beautiful and takes pedals incredibly well. Lead channel has its own character, i still need to spend time setting it up.

Another BIG surprise are the huge transformers it has, thank you PRS.

23989388657_f21f2676f1_c.jpg

Nice amp! And nice pedals, from what I can see...

How do you like that Simble Predrive? A few years ago I almost got a regular Simble (with knobs), but instead went with the Mojo Hand DMBL. Curious about that PreDrive...

Nice amp! And nice pedals, from what I can see...

How do you like that Simble Predrive? A few years ago I almost got a regular Simble (with knobs), but instead went with the Mojo Hand DMBL. Curious about that PreDrive...

Its great and it has its own personality and it all depended on the front end of the amp you will be driving.

This is the pedalboard i have recently assembled where i have 5 pedals to drive the input, every one has different sounds and some of them serve as gain staging or pushing other pedals.

24241270687_595c766c25_c.jpg
[/url]

Its great and it has its own personality and it all depended on the front end of the amp you will be driving.

This is the pedalboard i have recently assembled where i have 5 pedals to drive the input, every one has different sounds and some of them serve as gain staging or pushing other pedals.

[/url]
That is a very nice board! I could rock that!

[/url]
My problem is that I’d select 5 pedals and disturb the settings as I’m so “footless” (clumsy)! Cracking pedal board.

My problem is that I’d select 5 pedals and disturb the settings as I’m so “footless” (clumsy)! Cracking pedal board.

Yep, i really don't understand why almost ALL pedal makes will choose to have the footswitch at the same level as the knobs, i mean BOSS still has the best design or at the the most effective live footswtich ever.

I already have ordered those tall buttons from Barefoot Buttons to solve this issue.

Back