What's the oldest model year guitar you currently own? Oldest PRS?

Oldest is an 1989 MIJ Strat. I put a vintage electronics kit in it, and a set of Vintage Hot Fralins.

YqcyuYy.jpg

My oldest PRS is a 1991 Ltd Edition....#5 of 300. Although, I've only had it about a year.

BYe2yIG.jpg

Unless you count this mutt....'87 CE24 body is the only thing that is original.

OQ9kLFR.jpg

Nothing older than about 2016 right now. The PRS is 2017. I had a 1968 Martin D-28 (Brazilian Rosewood) and a 1975 (or so) Strat from about 1979-80 until about 10-12 years ago. I hadn't been playing at all, they'd accumulated some value, and I decided to get the $$$ out of them, so I sold them for about 10 times more than I paid for them and bought a couple of cheap placeholders that I kept until about a year ago when I was playing a lot more again and started upgrading my gear. So I HAD old stuff, but don't currently. Not bummed though - both my strat and my 594 are better guitars than that mid-70s strat and while my current Martin 000-15M is not a better guitar than the D-28, it's a better fit for my current needs than the D-28 would be if I still had it. So it all worked out fine...

-Ray

My oldest is a 96 LP studio. When I bought it I was told it was a 92. But I looked up how to read the serial number and found out it was a 96. Still have it. About to refinish it. Oldest PRS is my SE-EG. Not sure what year, but my other PRSi are a fairly new SE SC245 p90 and a 2017 594.

My claim to vintage is a 1965 SG Special that was bought new by my Dad for my brother.

Naturally, I made the bonehead move of having it modded for a tune-o-matic in 1971, so it has no value whatsoever, except to my family. I learned to play guitar on it.

I rarely play it, and, in fact, for a little while, it’s lived at my brother’s house. Sort of a return home, since I pretty much stopped playing it in 1991, when I got my first PRS. My son learned to play on it, too. So it’s made the rounds!

My 594 Soapbar sounds every bit as vintage, only (I think) better, and plays SO much better. No reason to have the SG here, except for nostalgia. I’m not into nostalgia.

My claim to vintage is a 1965 SG Special that was bought new by my Dad for my brother.

Naturally, I made the bonehead move of having it modded for a tune-o-matic in 1971, so it has no value whatsoever, except to my family. I learned to play guitar on it.

I rarely play it, and, in fact, for a little while, it’s lived at my brother’s house. Sort of a return home, since I pretty much stopped playing it in 1991, when I got my first PRS. My son learned to play on it, too. So it’s made the rounds!

My 594 Soapbar sounds every bit as vintage, only (I think) better, and plays SO much better. No reason to have the SG here, except for nostalgia. I’m not into nostalgia.

I’m kinda surprised Jamie hasn’t yanked that SG from you.

I have a 1959 Gretsch Clipper that belonged to my father in law. It's partially taken apart now, the original pickup was mounted on a bakelight base which has disintegrated, I need to get a replacement.
I also have a nice Japanese acoustic that I bought new in 1979, but it was a NOS 1974 model when I got it.

The oldest I've ever owned was an Ibanez Les Paul copy that was probably a '76. I had an '89 PRS Classic Electric that I decided to let go a couple of years ago. So with that, now my oldest overall is an '84 Roadstar II, and oldest PRS is a 2001 SC:

rs-6.jpg

prs02.png

My oldest guitar is a black G&L Nighthawk that I bought new in 1983. Oldest prs 1989 cu24.

Looks simular to the one 11top posted above.

My oldest is an 85 or 86 Kramer Classic Strat clone. I basically inherited from a good friend who passed away. His wife gave it to me. It's, I mean CANDY apple red, brilliant and I'm not one for red guitars. That said, he had done "questionable" things to it, kinda like a bad papa, like rippin out the three Seymour's and the dummy coil and putting a set of gold, blue and red laces in it. To complete the insult, he put a MOT pickguard on the whole mess. He was very careless with it and would lean it on sharp table edges, which left a series of dings all along the back of the neck, to add more insult, what dings it did have, he covered them with non matching nail polish... Someday, I intend to return it to stock appearance. It surely needs it, the pickups rattle in the guard as the tubing has long since deteriorated, he was too cheap for springs. I love it for it's kookiness, but he wasn't a wiring guru either and it sounds like very thin ass...

Back