What's that PRS smell??!?

S

slang05

Ok, this is stupid..I know. But there is something PRS sprays in their guitar cases, a fragrance I assume, that gives new PRS guitars a smell that is very intoxicating to me! Or maybe it's the finish..that makes more sense..But either way..Am I crazy? Am I the only one that gets a new PRS guitar and smells the case?

Last year I picked up a 1993 STD24 with its OHSC, and as soon as I opened it up, WOOSH there was that old smell from my dearly departed 1992 CU24. Loved it...still do.

My siggy has a new, slightly less memorable aroma.

Of course, they all smell smoky after awhile...CAUSE my playing just lights them on fire ;)

You're not crazy. Everyone is aware of the awesomeness. There are many hypotheses on what it might be. Pixie dust is the obvious answer.

Nah, pixie dust smells more like teen spirit. ;)

The new PRS smell reminds me of Meguiar's #7 automotive polish. My whole garage used to smell like a new PRS when I was out there polishing one of my cars back in the day.

I've taken too many tours of the factory, 'cause I know this one.

The smell is also the glue from the case liners. When the factory gets new cases in, many times the glue is still wet. They have to open the cases, stand them on their ends like partially open books and let them dry out. If they didn't, there would actually be enough moisture in the case from the glue to rust a brand new guitar. :(

There is also outgassing from the plastics and leather.

All that being said, I'd prefer that it actually was pixie dust that we're all addicted to, but alas we're just a bunch of glue, solvent, polish and leather sniffers....

Last edited:
All that being said, I'd prefer that it actually was pixie dust that we're all addicted to, but alas we're just a bunch of glue, solvent, polish and leather sniffers....[/QUOTE]

Great... I'm addicted to the smell of glue. Perfect! lol I wonder if there is something my mom isn't telling me?

All that being said, I'd prefer that it actually was pixie dust that we're all addicted to, but alas we're just a bunch of glue, solvent, polish and leather sniffers....

Great... I'm addicted to the smell of glue. Perfect!

Yup and it's an expensive addiction! :laugh:

But you've got lots of company here...Freeken WOOD PUSHERS got me too! :D

The smell in those cases is the MAGIC in the guitars, wafting out to your flareing nostrils,helping you all to be better players!!!

I wonder if Yankee Candle has a PRS new guitar smell candle??

I just smelled the case for my new Fender Deluxe Tele, not good at all. Now that smells like glue..I might have a contact high from my Tele...:flute:

You would be surprised how much aroma comes from rosewood. If it's a sweet smell it may be the rosewood.

My Gibson 2012 SG '61 Reissue has the same smell.
We have debated this over on the Gibson forum, and many thought it was the nitro finish gassing, but turns out it is the case.
Vanilla type of smell, and it is intoxicating.

I get the same smell with my SE Santana, and the SE Custom 24, as I have the PRS hardshell cases for them.

The smell is also the glue from the case liners. When the factory gets new cases in, many times the glue is still wet. They have to open the cases, stand them on their ends like partially open books and let them dry out. If they didn't, there would actually be enough moisture in the case from the glue to rust a brand new guitar. :(

My Gibson 2012 SG '61 Reissue has the same smell.
We have debated this over on the Gibson forum, and many thought it was the nitro finish gassing, but turns out it is the case.
Vanilla type of smell, and it is intoxicating.

I get the same smell with my SE Santana, and the SE Custom 24, as I have the PRS hardshell cases for them.

Just one walk past the cases they have open drying at the factory solves this mystery.....

Apparantly my Dog loves it as well. Everytime the case is open and on the floor he runs over and keeps sniffing it. My Fender Select Tele case has a similar smell.

Back