What Type of Pick do You Use?

Yellow Dunlop Tortex .73 mm for years but recently switched to Dunlop Ultex. I recommend everybody give them a go, great picks!!!

I was using the purple Dunlop Tortex 1.14s then I went to the green Tortex .88s and because I started playing acoustic guitar a lot more, I'm using the yellow .73 Tortex picks, so I can jump from electric to acoustic without any change. Oh, and yellow shows up real good when you're constantly losing them.

I use PRS or Fender medium or heavy celluloids, depending on what I need to do. On rare occasion, I'll use a Dunlop Jazz I or II pick.

I use a little bit of everything. I usually, but not always, use a punch to put a hole in the middle of whatever I have. Just one small hole dead center does wonders to help the grip, and I can still use any side or end I want. I like the old standby shape (AKA Fender 351 ?). Some favorites are the light grey Dunlop .60MM nylon, Hercos or one the variations of them, and some with my own logo that I had made from ??? years ago. I usually go with them first because I have lots of them; I just have to blow the dust off of them. ;)

I've tried more materials and shapes of picks than I can remember, and the only ones I just didn't care for at all were the metal ones. Brass, steel, coins, etc.... None of those worked for me for whatever reason. As for gauge, give me mediums or thereabouts.

Goldtop

Last edited:
By the way, don't waste money on the new Fender stainless steel picks. For some infathomable reason they textured the entire pick. It's like playing guitar with a cheese grater. Truly the worst, most nonsensical product design I've ever seen. If there's a point to playing guitar with a waffle pick, I'd love to know what it is.

Cool Picks "Juratex" Jazz 1.2mm. The pick has a sand textured grip. The tone from the pick is amazing.

cool_jurajazz.jpg

Before that I was using Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black Jazz III 1.4mm. I've also tried a variety of V-Picks. Every now and then I pick one of the Dunlop or V-Picks up and play around, but quickly realize why I was playing the Cool picks.

You have to be cool to play Cool.

Any type of Jazz 3 and a 2.0 jazz ultex thing. somethings use a 1.14 James Hetfield sig pick to mix it up a bit

Back