E |----------------|----------------|----8-------7---|8---5---7---4---|
   Am      E7       A       D        E       Dm  E7   Am
e |----------------|----------------|----------------|0---------------|
B |----------------|----2---3-------|----5---3---3---|----------------|
G |5---2---4---1---|2-----------2---|4---------5---4-|5---------------|
D |----------------|----2---4-------|----6---3---3---|----------------|
A |7---3---5---2---|4-----------5---|7---------------|0---------------|
E |5---0---4---1---|0---5---5---2---|4---7---5---4---|----------------|

Worked on the harmonic minor scale today.I guess i was inspired by Paul Bielatowicz playing and his Steve Howe-ish vibe.That got me listening to alot of Yes lately including Trevor Rabin years.All this music has alot of harmonic minor in it or a major dominant chord in a minor key if you will.The E7 is here a dim7 really.E7b9 would be the correct name.The dim7 chord you can invert in minor third steps so in A minor harmonic that is Fdim7,G#dim7,Bdim7 and Ddim7.Over an E tonic they create a E7b9 sound.Yngwie uses this all the time.Changing to major in bar 6 is just for fun :).

Last edited:
Code:
e |----------------|----------------|----------------|----------------|
B |----------------|----------------|----------------|----------------|
G |7-------5-------|5-------3-------|3-------3-------|3-------3-------|
D |5-------3-------|3-------3-------|3-------3-------|3-------3-------|
A |6-------6-------|5-------5-------|4-------6-------|6-------6-------|
E |4-------4-------|3-------3-------|2-------3-------|4-------5-------|

Some chords i came up with at the piano not being a pianoplayer translated to guitar :)

Last edited:
Nice to get that Dominant (E7) tonic to (Amin7) change going on!. To accentuate it, play A dorian over the A-7 and A harmonic minor or A natural minor over the E7. To really sound hip, start playing the E altered scale over the E7, along with the F diminshed scale (Not just the F dim arp like Yngwie) and the e Wholetone scale as well. What also works nice is D dorian over the E7 and F major scale over the E7. These are subs Benson, Wes, Metheny, Django and Cparker, Coltrane, and almost every jazz player in history has used over a V7-1 progression in both major and minor keys. Fun stuff!!! Oh yea, the tune "yellow moon" by the neville brothers has some fairly simple but very cool sounding lines over a great goove with minor V-1s. Check them out, and learn the lines that catch your ear! Great to see you are working on things like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tag!Lots of cool sounds you talk about,sounds i dont hear...yet :).Personally im not a Dorian guy for homebase :).Dont know if it is im swedish or what.Im definitely not a jazzguy.For me dorian is The Doors-Raiders of the storm :).I guess im just working on some essence like this melody "Ack Värmeland du sköna" or that minor chord vamp with hints of the dominant chord you showed in a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s30lq3fseB0

Hi Tag!Lots of cool sounds you talk about,sounds i dont hear...yet :).Personally im not a Dorian guy for homebase :).Dont know if it is im swedish or what.Im definitely not a jazzguy.For me dorian is The Doors-Raiders of the storm :).I guess im just working on some essence like this melody "Ack Värmeland du sköna" or that minor chord vamp with hints of the dominant chord you showed in a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s30lq3fseB0

Hey Swede!
I have no speakers on this computer but I will listen tonight. I believe you are hearing exactly what I use to hear
and trust me, you NEED to break out of that one sound! You are most likely hearing the flat 6th as the flat9 of the V chord, regardless of if that V chord is in the song or not. You will probably notice its very hard to resolve to that note (F in your above sample) on the A chord. You probably trill off of it and or use it as an accent in your playing, and have to resolve it to the E note. (5th of A) The natural 6th you can reslove to perfectly well, once your ear can hear it, and that is of the utmost importance! You then can play the flatted 6th and resolve to either the 5th or natural 6th and it will sound equally beautiful to your ear. (After a while, the natural 6th will probably sound prettier!) Believe me, in the long run you will be EXTREMELY glad you did this. It will improve your playing regardless of what style or notes you wish to play at the time.

Hey Swede!
I have no speakers on this computer but I will listen tonight. I believe you are hearing exactly what I use to hear
and trust me, you NEED to break out of that one sound! You are most likely hearing the flat 6th as the flat9 of the V chord, regardless of if that V chord is in the song or not. You will probably notice its very hard to resolve to that note (F in your above sample) on the A chord. You probably trill off of it and or use it as an accent in your playing, and have to resolve it to the E note. (5th of A) The natural 6th you can reslove to perfectly well, once your ear can hear it, and that is of the utmost importance! You then can play the flatted 6th and resolve to either the 5th or natural 6th and it will sound equally beautiful to your ear. (After a while, the natural 6th will probably sound prettier!) Believe me, in the long run you will be EXTREMELY glad you did this. It will improve your playing regardless of what style or notes you wish to play at the time.

Interesting!...Lots of work for swede :)

Hi guys,some swedish blues for ya.Once again the V-I in minor.The 7b9 sound as discussed earlier,the dim7 arpeggio with root added,in this case E.So instead of Yngwie style dim arpeggio a 7b9 pentatonic.Over an Am vamp you can use this to hint an E7b9.Try practise Am pentatonic with an imaginary E7b9 chord in your head.Combining the two pentatonics for a great melancholy swedish sound :).

Code:
e |---------------4-7|----------------7-10|---------------------10-12|
B |------------5-6---|-------------6-9----|-----------------9-12-----|
G |---------4-7------|----------7-9-------|-------------9-10---------|
D |------3-6---------|-------6-9----------|---------9-12-------------|
A |---5-7------------|----7-8-------------|-----8-11-----------------|
E |4-7---------------|7-10----------------|10-12---------------------|

e |--------------------------12-13|-------------------------13-16|
B |--------------------12-15------|--------------------15-17-----|
G |---------------10-13-----------|---------------13-16----------|
D |----------12-14----------------|----------14-15---------------|
A |-----11-14---------------------|-----14-17--------------------|