What recording software do you use?

I'm currently using DP 7.22 with Native Instruments Komplete 8. I will be upgrading to DP8 soon.

Albrecht -- If you're looking for "disturbingly cheap" and "quite capable" try Reaper. A bit of an odd workflow, but it does the job pretty well. Actually better than plenty of rather pricey options for that matter.

Cubase SX. Havent tried any of the others so I cant comment on them, but I`ve been able to achieve everything I`ve wanted to do with Cubase, while only using about 20% of it...

I took 2 semesters of recording classes at the community college in '99-2000 and made a few good records using 2 ADATs and a couple different used consoles. Then I gave it up for a while, sold everything, then later got back into it. Pro Tools seemed like the obvious choice, so we bought LE 8.05 in 2008. Still running it, still don't know what the hell I'm doing most of the time. If I had some training or used it more than once every several months, I might have a better idea by now.

I've heard there are way better ones out there. I was talking a with a dude at a party last summer who had ditched Pro Tools for something I have never heard of, and now for the life of me I can't remember what he said. :( It hasn't been mentioned here.

I've heard there are way better ones out there. I was talking a with a dude at a party last summer who had ditched Pro Tools for something I have never heard of, and now for the life of me I can't remember what he said. :( It hasn't been mentioned here.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Studio 1 For Me

I use Studio 1 Professional for my recordings. I'm pretty new to the DAW world and at first I found it difficult to figure out how to use the software. For this reason, for $30 I bought a training video from gPlayer. It made a world of difference. Once I got the hang of it, I sort of went crazy recording. (I record for fun, not looking to make this a career). I have some tunes posted at this website that were all recorded using Studio 1:

https://soundcloud.com/frankb56/sets/ferengie-quantisized

I just picked up Pro tools and hired someone to teach me all the basics. Its great, but for practice and quick jams over backings I still use my Roland BR600 or 900. MUCH faster and easier to use if you are basically doing guitar tracks IMO.

I've found ProTools to be much more efficient than the Roland VS-1880. I don't feel like I'm relearning everything every time I record. It definitely has some quirks that irritate me, but it seems much friendlier.

I like to use Logic- I'm just accustomed to the workflow at this point, working with MIDI (when I need to) doesn't suck, and it came with some pretty decent plug-ins already before I added some more (such as Stillwell compressors, Toontrack, Redwirez, et al)

Back