What Kind Of Microphone Should I Buy?

CVS

Not so new member
Ok - Here are the facts.

I play for the most part instrumental music (with backing tracks that I make myself) at private parties and at one particular club about once a month. Volume level is on the low side - mostly smooth jazz and blues songs (using a PRS HB II). Lately I have had people ask me if the could sing to some of the songs that I play. In order to do this I need a microphone. The mic would go into a Fishman Loudbox Artist 120 watt amp (not very loud -but a nice sound - I purchased the amp to use with the piezo on the HB II). The mic would not be used for any other purpose other than to have people sing while I play (no recording). I do no singing at all.

What kind of mic should I get? Given how often and how it will be used, I am looking for something economical but does not feedback easily with reasonable sound. I hope this makes sense.

All thoughts appreciated, as I know nothing about mics presently.

We use the Sennheiser E835 for vocal mics in my band. I first got exposed to those when I was playing in the church worship band. They are cleaner sounding than an SM58 in my opinion. They seem to reject feedback well also. The band has three of them and I have one in the mic locker at my studio.

I currently use an Audix OM2 and am very happy and need very little EQ'ing. Has a pretty narrow pattern which is good for rejection.
Realize that all these mics that typically have good rejection generally means they have a narrow pattern which might be an issue if multiple people want to sing at the same time with one mic (flash mob karaoke?). For a solo voice, it's da bomb and an improvement over my old SM58.

Reactions: CVS
The Audix mic is nice. We use an OM5 on the snare drum. Audix mics are great because you never really need to EQ them - they got 'em right when they voiced them!!

I also use a Sennheiser E835 for live performances, and have had a good experience with it.

For home recording, I use a Sterling ST59.

Mics work differently on different voices. For a casual gig, it probably doesn't matter a lot, but what most vocalists do is go to a store, and try out several mics, to pick the one that sounds best with their voice. It isn't a one-size-fits-all thing.

There are plenty of mics on the market to choose from at very reasonable prices.

Getting advice from a bunch of strangers whose voices may or may not be anything like yours, without trying mics out, is a recipe for wasting your money.

I like a Shure Beta 58A. it has a more focused directional sensitivity and is less prone to feedback, IMHO, compared to a regular Sure SM58, since the former is super-cardioid and the latter just cardioid. The Beta 58 allows you to put a monitor 120deg off-axis (i.e. in front but beside you and it will be in the null of the mike, minimizing opportunity for feedback.

It also seems better for my voice.

But a regular SM58 would be a fine choice too, and a great inexpensive entry point that is a solid design. It is an industry standard for a reason.

I find Sennheisers enhance the "nasal" aspect of my voice. But for others that have a less honky voice, you may find that a good thing. For me, the Shures seem to have a natural EQ that just fits.

Thanks to you all for your input. Price wise, a lot of the mics that you have recommended are in the range of what I was hoping to spend
Les - This is definitely what I would term "casual gig" for the vocalist(s) who would want to sing with me.

The replies on this thread are pretty spot on. The sm58 should be your starting point, but try it and a few others to compare and see what fits your pipes best, sound wise and price wise.

Thanks to you all for your input. Price wise, a lot of the mics that you have recommended are in the range of what I was hoping to spend
Les - This is definitely what I would term "casual gig" for the vocalist(s) who would want to sing with me.

Then you're good to go with any of the ones recommended. I have nearly all of the mics folks have listed, and they're all worthy.

2nded on the Beta 58A. Worth the upgrade price over a regular 58. However, I haven't ever tried the Sennheiser or Audix equivalents.

Back