What is your pick of choice?

Played Dunlop nylon forever. Then around a year ago I started playing wood picks from Thalia (they make capos, which I didn't love, but loved the picks). Really dug those, but then someone suggested Dava, and I tried them. Now I don't play anything else. They're really grippy - I don't think I've dropped a single one in the sound hole of my Martin yet. And they don't go flying around the room like the other's did. And depending on where you grip it, it plays either really stiff or really light, so it works for about anything. Took me a day or two to adapt but now nothing else feels right. They have three different materials for the tips. One seems to feel best for my electrics, another for my acoustic. YMMV

untitled-1-4 by Ray, on Flickr

I go back and forth between a V-Pick Mummy, Red Bear Guthrie Govan (and the original it's based on), Jazz III XLs, and Dunlop Ultra Sharps. And a Tommy Emmanuel pick and Wegen Bluegrass picks for acoustic.

This bunch of enablers hipped me to Blue Chip picks. I'm now addicted to their Jazz35 LG pick. Great tone and durability. The shape is perfect. Now when I go back to my previous fave, yellow Tortex TIII, it feels huge and awkward.

I use very simple ones : Dunlop Max Grip 1.14.
Cheap, durable and I really don't care if I lost it.

Read Bear (Govan and Classic Special) and Blue Chip (TD-35). Been using a V-Picks Bullseye Ghost for the last couple of weeks.

There are two really good pick threads on here that ran through tests on lots of different high-end and low-end picks. HuggyB started one of them. Can't remember the other. Not at a spot where I can search for them now.

I had a hard time thinking $4-15 (or more) was reasonable for a single pick. However. since I tried V-picks, I seldom play anything else. The few that they still make that "glow in the dark" are especially fun.

I use a variety depending on the task at hand. My fav all time is the Jazz III Ultex 2mm with the conical tip

I use Blue Chip picks of varying thicknesses and shapes, but mostly they’re Jazz III shapes.

I like the Ultex as a backup.

And...gotta say, I’ve got old Fender mandolin picks dating back to the 70s in my pick box. They’re a great size and shape, though obviously, I’ve since gotten into the Blue Chip picks.

I use Timber Tones Grip, which besides look cool, also sound and play great

This topic comes up a fair bit, and as a result I have explored a few alternatives. I bought a variety of V-Picks, and while they were nice to use, I never really bonded with any one of them, and once I started to lose them (two gone now, I think) I realized they were not an affordable solution. So I went back to using regular-shape Dunlop Tortex picks, usually the green or yellow ones - green for acoustic typically to maximize my unplugged volume, but yellows adorn many of my guitars. I use a blue every now and then, since I bought a bunch of them to try in comparison to the greens, and sometimes i want a bit more stiffness.

But! I recently found a pick in my wallet, sourced from who-knows-where-or-when, that is a Pickboy Vintage "T-shell", 1.00 mm, and I really liked the texture and feel. They are a bit more than the Tortex picks, but I might grab a bag of those next time I need to stock up (or need to top off my Amazon cart to get free next-day shipping!).

Lots of pick manufacturers claim that their picks 'stick' to your fingers, making them harder to drop and lose.

I was convinced for a long time that these claims were all nonsense because none of them worked for me. But, I sent my Blue Chip TAD40 to another player to try out (before buying) and it worked for him just fine. So its probably my body chemistry (oily skin) thats responsible.

I have lost several V-Picks and my preferred ones are $15 a pop. These are clear acrylic so are hard to find (Vinnie says use a torch but thats not much use at a gig with stage lights).

Dunlop Tortex green standard shape here - I've used them for years. As far as I can tell, the PRS picks are identical, possibly just "private label" tortex. I've gotten a couple packs of the PRS greens, and I can't tell them apart from the Dunlops without looking.

I too have been liking the Dunlop Primetones lately. I played Dunlop Delrin 500s for a long time, and tried to love Tortex, but no dice on those. They felt like they grated too much on the strings to me. I like very rigid pick, but don't like the whistle that many of them have in their attack.

So I've settled on V-Pick Stilettos for fast heavy stuff and Primetone standards when I'm not doing that. When I'm playing lighter, cleaner stuff, sometimes I'll grab a thinner Tusq pick, but I haven't completely bonded with those yet.

I’ve been happily playing the living snot out of a V-Picks Dimension Jr since November, but it’s getting pretty worn down. Just got a pack of Pickboy 150 jazz in tortoiseshell celluloid to try ‘em out, looking forward to digging in a bit this weekend.

Back