What is your "Get out of a funk" ritual?

Sekunda

Music is life
Everyone gets them... when you just don't feel like playing, or everything you play feels or sounds the same... That feeling that you lost something. How does everyone deal with this?

I know when I get it, I try to listen to some music that I never usually do, or just jam with some stuff that I never do. I try to learn something new as well, usually from a Guitar World magazine column or online column. Even if it's just a little riff or a new piece of a scale. Something fresh to kick around... (The Guitar Grimoire works really well too).

If all else fails... I buy new gear. That seems to be the fix-all for every ailment. :)

Thoughts?

Peace, Matt

I go to a completely different type of guitar and style of music. Most often I make a point of playing classical before touching anything else. Then I'll punish myself with some Ted Greene progressions.

I get bored and wander away...

By the time I make it back, the same old stuff seems cool again!

Hate when that happens :/ Usually I'll listen to something I don't normally listen to. If all else fails I'll go back and listen to one of the albums that made me want to play the instrument in the first place. So that's usually Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie album, or Alice In Chains self-titled album.

I just let it all happen as it wants to. Some days all I do is play. Most days it's a combination of playing, listening, reading. Some days I'm more inclined to spend time outside if I'm able to with my health (back, heart). I have a guitar within arm's reach whenever I'm home, so I may get in a couple of hours here, a couple of minutes there. I just never try to force anything. I'm not in a band or play for church, etc., so I'm fortunate in that I only play when I get ready.

Lloyd

The band's sound has evolved enough the past few years and I've tried to add little aspects in new songs, things I haven't tried before. It's given me new things to try to work on.

For just my playing in general, I usually jump on my Line 6 M13 and create a loop and start layering with a bunch of different effects/sounds...some not resembling guitar at all. It get the creative juices going and is a lot of fun.

I don't play for a week or two, at least not for pleasure as I still have to play for work, but even then I tend to keep that to a minimum.

I find that after a week or so of no concentrated playing/practice, the techniques and pieces I'd been unhappy with or struggling with before the funk feel much fresher and I am able to approach them with a clearer head and generally get much better results all round.

Back