What is Goldtop listening to?

I'm odd. I understand that. In fact, I guess in some ways I'm just weird. I can admit it. I can be especially weird when it comes to music. I can listen to just about anything and find something about it that I like. It's by no means a favorite of mine, but I can even listen to what used to be called Death Metal (as in Norwegian Death Metal) and find elements of it that are interesting. (Not the vocals, however; TO ME, most of those vocals sound like the singer got ahold of some bad hemoglobin or something and was trying to get rid of it in the vocal booth.) From that to, say, Sinatra, or Darrell McCall, or Sister Rosetta, or Willie, or Queen covers a lot of territory. My point is I enjoy many kinds of music. And I suspect most everybody here on The Forum is the same.

One genre I really like is Pop. I love certain bits of plain old Pop music. Like this song. This is Eric Carmen doing one of my all time favorites "Make Me Loose Control". Polished. Processed. Massaged to perfection. Yummy. I love it!

By the way, today is Eric's birthday. Wikipedia and other sources say he was born on this date in 1949, so Happy Birthday Eric!

Goldtop Lloyd

P.S. - One thing: Eric, who're we kidding here? The first line of the song is 'I run a comb through my hair and step out in the street'. C'mon, Man. This is old Goldtop you're talking to. You know as well as I do that that coiffe of yours took at least an hour and a three person team to achieve. It's o-k-a-y... If you've got it, flaunt it My Brother!

Elvis Month! What did Elvis say when he first found out about me, his biggest fan? 'That's the wonder of you'. Thanks E.!

The Wonder of Goldtop

Jefferson Airplane doing "Somebody to Love". I've always likes Grace's voice. I like her painting too for whatever it's worth. Not much probably...

Goldtop Lloyd

P.S. - I'm reading a book at the moment about Altamont. What a ridiculous, preventable disaster.

Earlier today I mentioned Death Metal. Well, this isn't that, but it's listed as 'Black Metal'. Whatever. When you combine that with Benny Hill, count me in! This is The Black Satans... uhhh... frolicking. Special thanks to Boots Randolph.

(These guys seem cool. I'd probably share a grog with 'em.)

Goldtop - Likes the snow.

On this date in 1979, Led Zeppelin played their last date in the UK at Knebworth. This clip from that gig shows a less-than-perfect version of "Misty Mountain Hop". TO ME, Bonzo seemed to be struggling a bit. And Pagey on a Gibson RD??? Odd. Please don't get me wrong; I'm a huge Zep fan and this clip doesn't change that at all.

Goldtop Lloyd

Good Saturday Morning everybody. I hope you have a good day today and a great weekend. And may that weird spot on your lip/foot/cat/Aunt Linda turn out to be nothing serious.

I have had this song on my mind most of the night, and I got up this morning with it on repeat in my head. So maybe if I share it here I can stop hearing it over and over and over and over...

Alicia Bridges 'loves the nightlife'. Bully for her. I'd love to have some breakfast, but I bet it's not gonna happen.

Goldtop - Craving a McMuffin.

Born on this date in 1929 was Alvis Edgar Owens Jr. As a little boy he didn't like being called Alvis so he renamed himself after a donkey on his family's farm. (I totally understand how he felt... Lloyd? Yuck!)

From Sherman Texas - and later on Bakersfield California - this is Buck Owens and "The Streets of Bakersfield".

Goldtop LPC

More Buck! This is "Love's Gonna Live Here'. Talk about Twangy Goodness!

Goldtop - I too can say that 'Love's gonna live here again'. I expect it to move in at the same time I get my new DGT or McCarty 594 even though I don't know exactly when that will be. It seems a long, long way off right now, but I'm not giving up yet. Hopefully I'll make it someday.

I have to confess about something. I feel bad and I just can't keep it to myself any longer.

Today is Mark Knopfler's birthday, and I really wanted to go all out for it. I wanted to surprise him with a gift. And not just any gift, but one that he would truly appreciate and cherish and enjoy for years to come. But I couldn't do it. I just didn't have money for nothin'... o_O

Goldtop - Nearly empty pockets

Wow. I've always been a huge Loretta Lynn fan. TO ME, when it comes to females in Country Music, there's Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, and then everybody else. The living, the struggles, the highs, the lows, the breaking new ground, the songwriting... I'm not sure of anybody else who even comes close to those two ladies. (No offense to anybody else intended.)

Nikki Lane. I guess she's still considered a newcomer, which you know as well as I do in music business terms means about a decade or so so far. I like her voice; it reminds me of a smoother version of Wanda Jackson. I like her style. And she's a serious dog lover, which says a lot in my world.

This video is the two of them in Loretta's living room doing "Don't Come Home a Drinkin'". Tasty. And another one with Twangy Goodness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretta_Lynn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Lane

Goldtop Lloyd

P.S. - Loretta loves dogs too. All of us cool people do!
And one more thing about Nikki? Rolling Stone Magazine liked her, but please don't hold that against her!

Another one from Nikki Lane in Loretta's pad. This is "Jackpot". No dog this time though.

Goldtop LPC

I have never been able to listen to this song without crying, and that's truer now than ever before. I am so tired of losing people I care about, people I respect, people I admire. There's an old saying that goes: The longer you live, the more you have to say goodbye. Well for me, it's true, and I hate it. It's about to get to me. It really is. In my personal life I'm down to about two or three left, and when they go...

This is Ashley Campbell doing "Remembering" on the series Country's Family Reunion.

Goldtop Lloyd

What is it? Elvis Month! And what did I say the first time I laid eyes on a PRS guitar? 'I can't help falling in love with you!'.

I like this song. I think it's pretty. But at this tempo, I'll wager that by the time Elvis and (INSERT NAME OF GOLD DIGGER CHICK HERE) actually do 'fall in love' either one or both of them will have fallen asleep and missed the fun stuff! Pity.

Goldtop

This is "The Truth Will Always Be" by Pat Metheny, who was born on this date in 1954. I like this song, and I really like this video. There are some amazing, beautiful scenes in this. Kudos to those who put it together.

Goldtop

I'd like to stop here and thank the ones responsible for this forum, starting with the PRS Company. Not only do they make what I think are the finest music instruments money can buy, they provide this forum where we can all come and take part. They do it because they want to, not because they have to.

I'm thankful to James, the administrator who started this thread over five years ago under the heading 'What are you listening to' in honor of a Record Store Day. I fell in love with the thread and posted so much in it that he ended up changing the name of it, I suspect because I was being a nuisance with the number of posts I made. (James, I'm still grateful to you for your kindness and tolerance. And I still feel like I owe you an apology.)

I also want to thank the forum members who are so good to me and to each other. There is genuine kindness and respect here. Spend just a few minutes here and it's easy see the differences in the way this forum operates compared to most of the rest out there. Rudeness and other such nonsense is kept to an absolute minimum, and that's not by accident. A lot of people put in a lot of time behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly, and they do it with little or no credit or recognition. On the rare occasions when things veer a little off course, they take care of the problem. They deserve our gratitude.

I want to again remind the forum members that everybody is welcome to post here. I for one like seeing what music people are into. I've learned about a number of artists and bands over the years that I might not have discovered otherwise, and I hope there will be more to come. So please don't hesitate to share if you want to do so. That's what makes it fun and interesting.

Thanks very much. A Happy Weekend to you all.

Goldtop/Lloyd

Last edited:
I have to confess about something. I feel bad and I just can't keep it to myself any longer.

Today is Mark Knopfler's birthday, and I really wanted to go all out for it. I wanted to surprise him with a gift. And not just any gift, but one that he would truly appreciate and cherish and enjoy for years to come. But I couldn't do it. I just didn't have money for nothin'... o_O

Goldtop - Nearly empty pockets

I had no idea today was his birthday, but about two hours before you posted this, I was at a Barnes & Noble trying to take advantage of their Vinyl Weekend discount (10% off vinyl, plus I had a 20% off coupon, plus 10% for my rewards membership). There were a couple things I was thinking about but they didn't have. I looked at a Ted Nugent album, then a Chicago album. Couldn't convince myself. Came close to pulling the trigger on "Abbey Road". Almost headed out the door with a Queen album, but eventually got it down to the first Dire Straits album after considering "Brothers In Arms". While I stood in line, songs from BIA kept going through my head, so...out of line, swap the records and I bought BIA, which is one of my favorite albums.

Happy birthday, Mark.

And just because I'm happy Lloyd is back - and I know he'll get a kick out of it, here's another version, this time with added Chet Atkins, effervescent Everly Brothers and medicinal Michael McDonald.

OK Lloyd, l'll chime in with a few of my favorite guitar players, and thanks for keeping this thread alive!

Hey, good to see you. I meant to PM you earlier but I got sidetracked. I'll try to do it tomorrow.

MAN, that is a post! Way to go!

Lloyd

I'd like to stop here and thank the ones responsible for this forum, starting with the PRS Company. Not only do they make what I think are the finest music instruments money can buy, they provide this forum where we can all come and take part. They do it because they want to, not because they have to.

I'm thankful to James, the administrator who started this thread over five years ago under the heading 'What are you listening to' in honor of a Record Store Day. I fell in love with the thread and posted so much in it that he ended up changing the name of it, I suspect because I was being a nuisance with the number of posts I made. (James, I'm still grateful to you for your kindness and tolerance. And I still feel like I owe you an apology.)

I also want to thank the forum members who are so good to me and to each other. There is genuine kindness and respect here. Spend just a few minutes here and it's easy see the differences in the way this forum operates compared to most of the rest out there. Rudeness and other such nonsense is kept to an absolute minimum, and that's not by accident. A lot of people put in a lot of time behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly, and they do it with little or no credit or recognition. On the rare occasions when things veer a little off course, they take care of the problem. They deserve our gratitude.

I want to again remind the forum members that everybody is welcome to post here. I for one like seeing what music people are into. I've learned about a number of artists and bands over the years that I might not have discovered otherwise, and I hope there will be more to come. So please don't hesitate to share if you want to do so. That's what makes it fun and interesting.

Thanks very much. A Happy Weekend to you all.

Goldtop/Lloyd

Well said, Lloyd! Bro hugs to you!

The first band I ever saw live, Uriah Heep. They were opening for April Wine, and my buddies and I had never heard of them. Man, did they make an impression on me! I was playing sax at the time. Not long after this show I traded the sax for a guitar. Truly great, and underrated, band.

Back