What is Goldtop listening to?

Okay, I'm weird time. I'm sure this sounds insane, but the thing that struck me when I first heard the band Van Halen was the drumming. Sure Eddie was amazing and changed things for most guitar players, but the thing that really got to me was Alex's drumming. The tone of the drums; the warmth of their sound. The character of them. Later on we all found out that Eddie described it as 'a brown sound', and I thought that nailed it. But IMO Alex was and still is soooo underrated as a drummer. Unfairly overshadowed by Eddie. I could listen to Alex playing on his own and be happy.

Van Halen and "I'll Wait".

Goldtop LPC

John Stewart (with help from members of Fleetwood Mac) doing "Gold".

Gold(top)

Last edited:
Mr. Glen Campbell doing "Galveston". That city is near and dear to my heart, in spite of the fact that I'm so far away from it right now.

Goldtop

Yes! Led Zep doing "Stairway to Heaven". Is there a better way to end a year and start a new one?

Goldtop Lloyd

Dig it! Shake it! This is Ian Matthews and "Shake It".

Goldtop says Shake It, Baby! It's 2017!

It must be "Oldies Hour"! This is Edison Lighthouse and "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)".

Goldtop Grows

Ghost. Ghost impresses me like no band has in quite some time. I like them. (Am I the only one here on the board that does?) I've said before that while I may not agree with a lot of their lyrical content, I think their musicianship is fantastic. Their melodies, their harmony vocals, their twin guitars... Great. And their imagery? A+. As for their message, however; to each their own. Am I being overly dramatic? I don't think so.*

But be all of that as it may, I like a lot of their music. This song is "He Is".

Goldtop LPC

*But I could be. Or I may not be. Don't ask me. How would I know? (Sorry. I had to get that silliness out of my system. No more I promise.)

Last edited:
No sir, you are not the only one here who loves Ghost. I've missed them on one tour here - venue sold out before I decided if I wanted to go there. The very first time I saw them, they opened for Opeth and Mastodon. I'd heard about them, but only that they were a good up and coming band. I hadn't heard a note or seen a picture. When Papa walked out, I started laughing immediately. The music caught me right away. I looked them up on my phone during their first or second song, and saw them referred to as a Satanic metal band. I looked at the band, then my phone, then the band and said, "Someone takes this seriously?" It was clearly a lark. Stone cold fan ever since - I even bought a pair of Ghost logo earrings - I'll find a reason to wear one someday. I don't recommend them to everyone because I know not everyone will get - or appreciate - the humor, but that's fine.

Two quick examples of why it's not serious - I saw an interview with one of the guitarists, and he was asked if the masks cause any particular problems. He said one time he and the other guitarist were backstage and he picked up the other guy's guitar by mistake and it took them almost five minutes to figure out who was actually who. The other example is the revolving door situation regarding the lead singers. Papa Emeritus from the first album was fired and replaced by Papa II - who sounded surprisingly like Papa I. Papa II was replaced after the second album by Papa III - his "three-month younger brother". Who sounds amazingly like Papa II.

And since you mentioned John Stewart, allow me to add the song that got me interested in him and convinced me to buy "Bombs Away Dream Babies". Not the hit single, which I'd heard, but a song played on the AM radio morning show (remember those) I listened to.

Happy New Year, Lloyd!!!

Good morning everybody. Happy New Year! It's going to be a great one for us all.

Something really good happened a few hours ago and I want to share it with you. I was sitting at home listening to music, posting some here on The Forum, being silly, feeling good, and thinking about going to bed. Then I got a phone call. It was a guy I know; not really a friend. We aren't close but we know each other. We haven't spoken in at least a year. To make a long story short, he was at a party and was in no shape to drive, so he called me to see if I could or would come pick him up and take him home. (I don't know why he didn't just call a cab. And I don't know why he thought of calling me of all people, but no problem.)

So I went and picked him up and got him home, then I came back and went to bed. He could have gotten someone at the party to take him but he realized that they were in the same shape he was. I'm glad he didn't try to drive himself. Good man.

Good days ahead folks! This is Johnny Nash and "I Can See Clearly Now".

Goldtop Lloyd

alantig,

My friend! Happy New Year to you!

Ghost. I remembered that a few months ago somebody here was talking about Ghost, but I couldn't recall who it was. I'm sorry.

You know a lot more about them that I do. I've never seen them live, and the odds of them playing the Texas panhandle are slim. All I know about them is what I've read or seen in videos on YT or whatever. But I'm with you; I see a sense of humor in them. And for good or bad - depending upon your outlook - Ghost reminds me of KISS in a number of ways.

Lloyd

alantig,

My friend! Happy New Year to you!

Ghost. I remembered that a few months ago somebody here was talking about Ghost, but I couldn't recall who it was. I'm sorry.

You know a lot more about them that I do. I've never seen them live, and the odds of them playing the Texas panhandle are slim. All I know about them is what I've read or seen in videos on YT or whatever. But I'm with you; I see a sense of humor in them. And for good or bad - depending upon your outlook - Ghost reminds me of KISS in a number of ways.

Lloyd

I get into them a little bit, too. First time I heard them I immediately thought they reminded me of Blue Oyster Cult.

Good job on the ride too!

I get into them a little bit, too. First time I heard them I immediately thought they reminded me of Blue Oyster Cult.

Good job on the ride too!
Ahhh, B.O.C.... Guitars, guitars, guitars.

About the ride: Thanks, but he deserves all the credit. All I did was be boring enough to be at home.

Goldtop Lloyd

Happy Monday everybody. A new week, a new month, a new year... Here's hoping for the best for each of us.

On this date in 1997 Randy Wolfe died. His stage name was Randy California, and he was probably best know for being a member of the band Spirit. He died in Hawaii while saving the life of his drowning son.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_California

This is Spirit doing "Taurus". If you've ever heard Zep's "Stairway to Heaven" you may find parts of this song very familiar.

Goldtop LPC

MANY thanks to bodia for mentioning Blue Oyster Cult! "Harvest Moon"!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the way to start a Monday!

Goldtop Moon

Poor Mariah. I'd feel a little bad for her if it wasn't so funny. You've got me feeling at least one 'Emotion', Sweetie; HILARITY!!!

Goldtop Lloyd

Note to Mariah: PLEASE be an adult and just accept it and move on. Try to laugh along with it and realize that it's really not that big a deal, okay? Your fans still dig you, you've still got a collection of mansions and automobiles and staff members ready to jump. You've still got more money and jewelry and luggage than you could ever use. It's not the end of the world and no matter what you still have an amazingly blessed life. Scrambling around trying to hang any blame possible on others is unseemly. Monitors died, CD skipped, whatever. Bazillions of people witnessed it, fine. There are countless children watching you now to see how you handle this situation. What example are you going to set for them?

Last edited:
Back