What cab for an Archon?

Thanks Dream for all the info on the Mesa V30s.
It would be cool if you could swap with someone with the Mesa V30s and throw them into your PRS cab.

I dig the Fryette Power Station.
I can turn up both the gain and master volume on the Mesa, and tame it with the Fryette.
I leave the Fryette's top toggle all the way up on Edge, and the bottom toggle in the middle on warm.
The presence and depth knobs on it are at noon, and the volume is just up a tad, and it sounds pretty darn good.

One of these days I may take the head and one of the cabs to work in my office and let it go all balls :D
Now if I knew anyone around here to jam with and had a place where we could crank to our hearts content, I could dig that.
Do not really know anyone in my area to do that with.

I should check with my dealer if he knows of anyone who gets together for jams.

Edit: If you've ever read the comments about the old V30s being the best speakers ever, and people saying the old V30s are better than the newer ones... well Mesa agreed and went to Celestion and said they'd use the V30 in their cabs ONLY if they got that version. Celestion said "if you buy x amount, we will make them" and so they are the only ones (I think in the U.S. maybe the whole word) that can get them. If you have older V30s, they will be like the Mesa version, and not the one that everyone else has had for the last 10 or so years (guessing at the time frame, but it's been a few years). I've had brand new stock V30s in identical cabs to compare. And if I can put aside all the politically correct BS about "it's all subjective" for a moment, I'll say "Mesa's V30 sounds better! The spike is not as icepicky. That alone makes it better, IMHO. Which is why I also prefer other V30 type speakers like Eminence Governor, over stock V30s in most situations. But it is IMO, better overall than a stock V30

If memory serves, Mesa had their V30s specially doped even back in the day when the "old" V30s weren't the old model. So they always were just a little different.

FWIW - PRS' site says theirs are "modified V30's" whatever that means. Keep in mind the "deepback" 2x12 and the 4x12 are both birch cabs for PRS. I still want a PRS 4x12. Mesa cabs do sound awesome though. I've always liked them a lot.

If memory serves, Mesa had their V30s specially doped even back in the day when the "old" V30s weren't the old model. So they always were just a little different.
I think that's correct.

FWIW - PRS' site says theirs are "modified V30's" whatever that means. Keep in mind the "deepback" 2x12 and the 4x12 are both birch cabs for PRS. I still want a PRS 4x12. Mesa cabs do sound awesome though. I've always liked them a lot.

I think that's correct.

I like the way the V30s in my PRS cabs sound, too. I thought it was just the pine construction, but obviously there's something going on with the speakers, too. Thanks!

Les, think you're right. I guess Mesa always had them doped a bit different, but then, years ago, Celestion went to use a different cone which RS immediately didn't like and said "no way, we only want these if we get the old ones." So Celestion made them commit to a large number, and those are the only ones with both the original doping and cone.

I have spoken with guys at Eminence and Warehouse, and when asking questions about their speakers, both claimed to have made their speakers to be more like the "old V30," and one of them even told me more specifically that they used a cone and doping like the Mesa V30. I haven't gotten to try a Warehouse speaker but every description of their V30 type speaker that I've read, said the WGS speaker was warmer and the spike was reduced a couple dB, reducing the ice pick. I feel exactly the same way about the Eminence Governors I've had, and I've preferred them over every stock V30 I've had with every amp I've owned.

That said, my PRS 2x12 pine cab absolutely kills on the clean channel of my H or Custom 50. That "spike" becomes "sparkle" and every guitar I've thrown at it sounded fantastic on the cleans. It's the gain channel of those two amps that I'm not bonding with as much with the PRS cab as it is. It's good. Sometimes close to greatness. But switching over to the lesser quality cab (1x12 Avatar cube) with a Private Jack brings an immediate smile to my face. And, so does a Governor in the identical Avatar cab.

I was buying some Scumbacks two weeks ago for the PRS cab but you guys keep saying how much you love them stock, so I'm hanging on a little longer hoping that some more pounding will smooth them out some.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of these days I may take the head and one of the cabs to work in my office and let it go all balls :D.
Corey, in all the years I've played the Boogie rig, I've only played one outdoor gig where I let it rip. It got where increasing the master resulted in no volume increase...with both 2x12s. It was a thing of beauty. But honestly, it wasn't the best I've sounded and prefer it much more under control.

Those Mesa V30s helped establish "that" Mesa sound (more so with the Dual Rec than the Mark series) that everyone associates with these cabs. When I bought my cabs in '89 and '91, the preferred speakers were the Celestion C90 + EV-12L and came stock in the 2x12 in that config. Not sure V30s were even made yet. And when they did hit the scene, I didn't dig them since metal wasn't my genre. It wasn't until I played my current amp thru the PRS pine 2x12 that I ever liked that speaker. So, for me, despite the hype, for my musical taste, the unspecial V30 used by PRS sounds best in this cab, with my amp. Weird, I know.

Watch it 11Top or I'll bring my MkIII over to your Dungeon of Doom and spread amp GAS like a crop duster. $10 says he eats it. :biggrin:

I was buying some Scumbacks two weeks ago for the PRS cab but you guys keep saying how much you love them stock, so I'm hanging on a little longer hoping that some more pounding will smooth them out some.

I do like the Scumbacks, too. Really, I'm itching like crazy to put a Celestion Cream Alnico 90 in my PRS 112, just to see how that vibe works...if I like it, I'd order a second PRS 212 and load it up with those.

But that's a ways off, as right now, I'm not medically cleared to mess around with my cabs. They're just sitting in the studio attached to the amps, where I left them before surgery. So probably a few more weeks/months before I can get around to that!

I have been rocking my Archon combo through a Basson 4x12 with Eminence Legends and it sounds huge. The low end is crazy and tight...overall it just sounds massive.

I haven't tried any other cabs with mine though.

No, he was joking -- he was calling himself a scumbag (which he isn't). Funny guy (which he is).

I realize I never answered the question: I run my Archon through a PRS 4x10 cab, but I haven't tried anything else, so can't compare. I'm just fond of 4x10 combos and cabs. I haven't tried two yet, but intend to. I also have two 2x12 cabinets (==4x12) which I haven't tried yet.

So really, what am I good for?

Dusty speaks scumbag! :beer:

I realized I only gave a partial answer - I also use the Archon through a Mesa Cab Clone. I think my last couple recordings were through that instead of micing the cab.

I've had my Archon 100 for about 10-12 weeks now. I've ran the head through my (limited) Arsenal of cabs. First, a v30 loaded Johnson (digitech) J412. I've had the cab as part of a half-stack I bought new in 1998. Always has been a boomy cab. It's no different with this head. Next... The Randall RS125 (2x12-1x15) loaded with stock Eminence Legends. While it has always sounded good with other heads, to me, it lacked the depth I wanted. So... Johnson cab too much boom, Randall... Not enough. Next... A budget line 2x12 by Studio7. (Another failed company I think). Picked it up at a pawn shop for $80. Figured the cab alone was worth that. It has Fender by Eminence 12's. It's thin and weak.
I shoved 2 of the v30's in the Studio7 cab (they originally came with v30's) and it sounded great. Just the right balance. (Vid here if allowed on this forum http://youtu.be/VDnwPW32Ol0 )

Concerned about out the cab falling apart at stage volumes... I went back to looking for another cab. When I saw PRS prices went up across the board, I removed them from my list of options. Sorry PRS. Your prices were boutique enough without the rate hike. (2x12 went up $30, 4x12 went up $80, Archon went up over $100).

I just ordered an Orange PPC212C in black. I have yet to see a head sound bad on that cab.

another note....

when end you talk about this cab that cab... Point out the style of music your playing. Even some details like tunings, pickups, gain levels.... It helps us get a better feel for your experience.

My my primary guitars used in this setup is a Clint Lowery PRS baritone 6 in drop B with 12-56. My gain level is kept around 1-2 o'clock on the archon 100 in 50w mode. I also use a Gibson BFG Gator with a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (sh-14) at the bridge in drop C tuning with 12-52's. Pedals are normal... Decimator, polytune2... Nothing to greatly change cab tone. I play heavy-brutal style metal mostly. Occasionally use an ESP 7 string Stephen Carpenter Tele with EMG's and the drop A sounds a little blah with all my cabs no matter how I adjust the depth/bass pots.

When i I get the orange cab, (and the mogami cables I ordered with it) I'll report back for those interested.

Last edited:
I'm not a metal guy, but to me that cab sounds pretty good with that rig, Kick2!

Actually, compared to other boutique amp makers, I think even the raised PRS prices are pretty reasonable. I just heard from a buddy who is into Suhr amps and cabs, and their handwired stuff is more expensive, as are their PT100 cabs that are just birch ply, not even pine like PRS. Same is true of lots of other amp makers.

I was once into Two-Rocks, and basically was ready to sell kidneys to raise the dough for them (and had several), though they're a bit less pricy since the company changed hands. Still, more expensive than PRS and while very different style amps, they're not "better."

I love my PRS cabs, they sound absurdly great, but YMMV of course!

Last edited:
A well-built cab is a well-built cab. Even if you fall out of love with its tone and/or response, you can change speakers like you change tubes in your amp or pickups in your guitar. The PRS cabs are top quality...some of the best out there...and this is from a perspective honed from Mesa/Boogie cabs (which, arguably, are the best on the market). So accumulating a stock of speaker options is a great way to mold a cab into the perfect match for any amp. Investing in quality speaker cabinets, IMO, is always wise and pays dividends for many years.

Back