What are your favorite misunderstood lyrics?

rugerpc

A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ
I blame Bennett for this thread.

What are your favorite misunderstood lyrics? It would be good if you post what they really are and then what yuou or others though was being sung..

Example:
Creedence: "There's a bad moon on the rise"
Heard as "There's a bathroom on the right"

Bonus for anyone who can produce an absolutely dead nuts accurate transcription of "Louie Louie"

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard Berry's original lyrics to Louie Louie, as recorded by Richard Berry and the Pharaohs follow; 1957 was a year influenced by Caribbean tunes like 1956's "Day-O (the Banana Boat Song), sung by Harry Belafonte. The original lyrics were in the Caribbean style. Here's the original recording, followed by the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-2CKsaq5r8

"Louie Louie, me gotta go
Louie Louie, me gotta go

Fine little girl she waits for me
Me catch the ship for cross the sea
I sail the ship all alone
I never think I'll make it home

(chorus)

Three nights and days me sail the sea
Me think of girl constantly
On the ship I dream she there
I smell the rose in her hair

(chorus)

Me see Jamaica moon above
It won't be long, me see my love
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again"

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;42445 said:
"I reach down... Between my legs... Ease the seed bag..."

~Panama, Van Halen

The guitar part that is playing behind that section of the song is one of my favorites. I love how it slithers and builds and he hits the off-beat chords like it is just gonna come off the rails and he reigns it back in.

The lyrics are one thing there - but the real action and the tension is in the guitar..

Richard Berry's original lyrics to Louie Louie, as recorded by Richard Berry and the Pharaohs follow; 1957 was a year influenced by Caribbean tunes like 1956's "Day-O (the Banana Boat Song), sung by Harry Belafonte. The original lyrics were in the Caribbean style. Here's the original recording, followed by the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-2CKsaq5r8

"Louie Louie, me gotta go
Louie Louie, me gotta go

Fine little girl she waits for me
Me catch the ship for cross the sea
I sail the ship all alone
I never think I'll make it home

(chorus)

Three nights and days me sail the sea
Me think of girl constantly
On the ship I dream she there
I smell the rose in her hair

(chorus)

Me see Jamaica moon above
It won't be long, me see my love
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again"

Excellent! A gold star for Les! :five: :beer: :shakehands: :adore: :rock: :congrats:

My favorite line about "Louie Louie" was from Todd Snider in his song "The Ballad Of The Kingsmen":

Now, I don't know the words to that song, 'Louie Louie'. I'm pretty sure the singer from the Kingsmen didn't know them either.

Slightly NSFW:

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! A gold star for Les! :five: :beer: :shakehands: :adore: :rock: :congrats:

Haha! It was the first real rock and roll song I taught myself on the piano. Three chords repeated over and over as loudly as I could bang them out.

The following summer I saw the Kingsmen play at a teen club in Traverse City, Michigan, near the summer camp I went to. The club was called The Ponytail, and maybe 200 kids went to see the band. In those days, the audience danced; there wasn't sitting like at a concert.

This band had the #1 record in the US, but they drove to the gig in a station wagon with a trailer to play for 200 kids! Rock and Roll wasn't what it is now, back in the mid-60s.

In fact, when the Rolling Stones first played Detroit at a big venue called Olympia, only 300 people showed up! Crazy, huh?

In one of their first appearances in this area, the Stones played at an amusement park.

"Big Wheezeee Keep on tonan, prow mah keepzon bunion" but sung unintelligibility...the lyrics I would have repeated if a gun were held to my head (Proud Mary..."Big Wheels Keep on Turnin', Proud Mary Keeps on Burnin'")

"I see a red dog and I want to paint it black" ("red door")

Back