What are some Easy Drum machine software recommendations?

clcwarlock

I have been writing riff's and I have ideas in my head for what the drums should be. What would be the easiest way, without having a drummer, to get drum tracks put together to record. I am not a drummer, only guitar player. Is there something that's easy to use and can create full songs?

I have been writing riff's and I have ideas in my head for what the drums should be. What would be the easiest way, without having a drummer, to get drum tracks put together to record. I am not a drummer, only guitar player. Is there something that's easy to use and can create full songs?

There are lots of drum software packages, and a lot depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For electronic sounds, massive sound-shaping ideas, and very modern stuff, it's hard to beat Geist and Stylus RMX. If you want to interface with pads, there's Maschine. Also, RMV is very cool and has a mix of acoustic and synthetic sounds that were programmed very creatively.

If what you want is traditional acoustic drum sounds, the best are Steven Slate drums, Addictive Drums, and BFD2.

All have their learning curves and quirks. And each can load samples and create patterns and slices to get both electronic and acoustic sounds, depending on your skill level. All can be used to create full songs. Many can load in MIDI files for patterns played by real drummers.

Some have free trial downloads. Be patient, give yourself time to learn them.

I use the ToonTrack EZDrummer for just that thing. I usually find a drum part that's close enough to outline the parts with. Then I'll record guitar over it, going back to mess with the drums later. Nice thing is since they're midi files you can add/subtract what is played for a more human feel. The main limitation is the beats themselves. Most are a little too busy for my liking. Sweetwater has it on sale from time to time for nearly half price.

Thanks guys, I am going to try the demos first, addictive and BFD2, I don't like buying software without evaluating it first.

Back