What amp do us peasants play our SE's through?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by flimbo, Dec 10, 2017.

1. RICHARD TOWN

RICHARD TOWN New Member

Hi what do you make of your SE have not got mine yet, am split between the custom24 and the 245 love the 245 shape

2. Wakester

Wakester Class Clown

I absolutely love my SE! It is super versatile with the split coil feature, its like having a Strat and a LP in one guitar. Sustain is amazing. I was originally thinking the 245/single cut shape but fell into the Custom 24 deal on the interwebs. Maybe I can convince the wife to let me get the 245 in a few years, or win one.

d1backwoods and Alnus Rubra like this.
  3. GavQuinn

GavQuinn New Member

A modified blackstar running at 18watts. Then there's a VOX style pre-amp slave into the loop, so the power section amplifies that, but still EL34.

4. beas

beas I Don't Re-Member

Helix running stereo into 2 Stagesource speakers. The Helix keeps getting better with each update.

5. Johnny Rigs

Johnny Rigs New Member

Peasants usually can only afford old outdated stuff. That's why I run my SE's through a 20yo Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp and 50/50 power amp.

Of course, that's also what I use to run all my guitars through. :D

gasmansteve72, Boogie, bodia and 2 others like this.
  6. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Ah good old fashioned Petaluma peasantry! Some of the best kind :D

bodia and Johnny Rigs like this.
  7. mace

mace New Member

Another Petaluma peasant here with the Holcomb SE. Nice nice nice and very versatile.

Alnus Rubra and Johnny Rigs like this.
  8. tyfu20

tyfu20 New Member

Recently added the Helix LT that I've been running direct live for the last couple of shows. Pretty sweet and much easier break down. ;)

9. Corey McCormick

Corey McCormick New Member

I run mine through a Blackstar HT-5R. Obviously I don't gig, just play at home and jam occasionally with a few friends.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  10. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Great wee amp!

Corey McCormick likes this.
  11. d1backwoods

d1backwoods New Member

About to order a Supro in the coming weeks

12. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Archon owning member

I'm hearing awfully good things about the new Marshall 20 watt DSL head. Clips I've heard sound really good. It's $499 new with discounts easily available.

13. Antmax

Antmax New Member

DSL5c with a 12" Veteran 30 shoehorned in. Pretty versatile amp with few shortcomings after the speaker upgrade.

@DreamTheaterRules. I'm also interested in one of the new Marshall Heads. Waiting to see how the Origin 20h compares to the new DSL20h. Been using combos since I started playing and quite fancy a vertical 2x12 with a smallish Marshall head.

grausch likes this.
  14. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Archon owning member

Origin will be more plexi based, much less gain. Should be good, I'd think. It's MIE, while the DLS is MIC so quality should be a notch above. But almost 3 times the price and way less gain IF you're wanting the gain available on the DSL. The 20 is getting much better marks for pure "tone" than the previous versions.

That said, if you want more gain, the MT15 is only $150 more and it should CRUSH!

bodia likes this.
  15. merciful-evans

merciful-evans New Member

16. Outlier22

Outlier22 New Member

well I sold my SE Santana, but I was playing it through Fender Blues Jr. My CE is now playing through it.

17. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

Now you can play it through an MT 15

dogrocketp and bodia like this.
  18. KevinM

KevinM New Member

Boss Katana 50 for the left-hand whale blue I picked up today!

Also, first post!

19. shimmilou

shimmilou New Member

I have a lot of amps (all are tube amps), Fender, MB, Peavey, Carvin, Bugera, Bell & Howell, Epiphone, all great in their own way. But since I got my Bugera, the 1990 head through a 4x12 gets the most playing time. I originally got the amp, thinking that since it is a very inexpensive Chinese amp, I would end up gutting it and building my own circuit. But turns out, I was more than pleasantly surprised to learn that not only are Bugeras great sounding amps, they are also very well built. The 1990, on gain channel with gain cranked, is extremely quiet, barely a slight audible hiss, and wonderful sounds on gain and clean channels, and I prefer the Triode mode. So naturally, I got another, a T50, which is also awesome (Cathode bias mode rocks!). I use all of my amps, but keep coming back to the 1990 more often than any others, and the T50 is small and portable, for when I travel (not often).

I am looking at the PRS Tremonti 15 watt amp, seems promising. Debating preordering ....

20. cbieberstein

cbieberstein New Member

I play mine through the Archon 100W head into a Marshall 412 with V30's and GT75's in an X pattern along with with a Port City 212 loaded with Jesen's. I also sometimes play through a voodoo modded Marshall JMP-1 and 9200 power amp with a TC G-Major 2 effects processor, but since I got the Archon early last year the Marshall doesn't get much love anymore.

DreamTheaterRules likes this.