What amp do us peasants play our SE's through?

you are not very compassionate.

I'm VERY compassionate. Also a wisecracker.

In this case, I recommend the best amp you can find used. The SE guitars are fantastic. The amp should be equally fantastic. There are many OK amps out there. I recommend a good amp, which narrows the field significantly. Unfortunately, the solid-state and modeling amps tend to create players who use way too much compression and gain. When they finally get their first high-end tube amp, they can't play through it, as they are expecting the amp to do all the heavy-lifting.

I recommend a medium-gain amp that you can boost to get more heavy pounding, and back off on the volume for more expressive playing. A used Archon is about the best deal out there, as are used 2-CH-C and H amps. Be like Serge. Know what you want. Watch and wait. Grab it when someone gets impatient and drops the price a bit more than expected.

Depends on how "peasanty" we're talking about... I played an Egnater Tweaker for a while, it was cheaper and pretty cool. I haven't tried a Katana, but have heard great things. But, as mentioned above, resist the urge to go to high gain all the time!

My avatar, sometimes. Lately, a Custom 20 gets the most time. SE and core.

Rivera for me - with EVM12L speakers - since 1990. I used to have a bunch of them, but all I have now is my original S120 head with a pair of 1x12 cabs.

Back