Well I Did It. New Archon Day

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by strat63, Jun 15, 2018.

1. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

The Archon has an aggressive tone. If you want mark-style smooth, you may struggle. Try turning the presence way down. That seems to be an aggression control. I keep it way up.

Way up.

2. strat63

strat63 New Member

Aggressive is a good description. Last night I had the gain and volume up about half way on the gain channel and it was pretty brutal. I mean that in a good way. My wife thought the volume was a bit excessive for the house though.

I can live without smooth so it's all good. The over the top distortion is a nice diversion from my normal sound and I'm having fun with it. I'm going to test with an additional closed back cab this weekend.

3. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

How about the half power switch? That should change modes and give a little smoother gain structure.

4. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Archon owning member

For single coils, yes, keep the presence down. And Boogies (Marks?) are extremely fat in the mids. In fact, most think BLOATED unless you pull that 750 slider WAY WAY down. However, that's usually with humbuckers. With single coils maybe anything less than that sounds thin but trust me, every other amp I've heard has less mids than a Mark unless you pull the 750 down considerably. I'm one of those who say, for the tone I want a Mesa for, I could never use without the GEQ. Now, if you were going for the Santana or some of the jazz cats that use them tones, then yeah, I could get along without the GEQ. But for hard rock and metal, no way.

So if that's your basis for comparison it is an extremely mid heavy amp. So, with single coils, presence down and mids way up on the Archon. Heck turn the bright switch off if you have too. I never turn those off. But I play 98% humbuckers.

5. strat63

strat63 New Member

I think the clean sounds better on the 50 watt setting so that's probably where it will stay for now. The difference is subtle but still noticeable. The important thing is I like the amp.

When I went the down the modeling rabbit hole a while back I sold all my amps and was pretty satisfied. I liked all the options but grew to dislike all the tweaking I was doing. The simple solution would be to just find a sound I liked and then stop but it didn't work that way for me in practice. If there are options, I want to try them. The Archon is my first step in simplifying my rig. It's less flexible but so satisfying. I never realized how much I cared about having an amp in the room sound until I had an actual amp in the room again.

There are a lot of different sounds on the gain side and I'll keep exploring.

bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  6. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I'm with ya on this! I had a Kemper for awhile. I was looking for a low volume solution since I live in a townhouse. It was perfect for that, but unfortunately there was too much to play with. That meant playing the same thing on 836 different profiles. Too much time tweaking, not enough playing. I'm living with an Archon, a Bogner ATMA, and have an MT-15 on order (since NAMM). I stick with the real deal, as well.

ScottR and strat63 like this.
  7. strat63

strat63 New Member

I've run the gamut of Boogies over the years, most recently the full size Mark V. My favorite channel or mode on that was the Mark I which put me in the minority. I have no illusions that the Archon will get me there and it doesn't have to.

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

If I recall, my favorite lead channel was the Mark I as well, when I had a Mark V.

strat63 likes this.
  9. strat63

strat63 New Member

As a low volume solution it is ideal but.....do you have any idea how many amps are in a Fractal? I think I tried them all. Had a Helix as well. So glad I didn't try a Kemper.

Then I guess there were 2 of us. It always worked well for me. Thanks to you I'm also on the look out for a HX/DA but that's for a different thread.

Alnus Rubra, LSchefman and bodia like this.
  10. DreamTheaterRules

Oh wow, yeah, you won't find ANY amp that compares to the Mark I. When I play the Mark one, I have presence dimed, bass off, mids down at like 9:00, treble from 2:00 to dimed, and an upwards slanted EQ 'line with bass cut and treble boosted. And it's STILL super fat. The Mark I is massively bottom heavy.

strat63 likes this.
  11. strat63

strat63 New Member

Another week with the Archon and I'm still liking it. One thing I'm still getting use to is the anemic low volume sounds. That's not a criticism of the amp but a symptom of using modelers in the recent past. The sound was less volume dependent before making them a good home solution when the family was around. The good news is the Archon sounds great turned up a bit. At slightly higher than happy wife volumes, I'm quite pleased. She'll be out of town this weekend so I'll get a chance to play without constraints. I'm going to pull out my Gretsch for some unique tones.

I've been surprised at the range of sounds I'm getting out of the amp. The controls actually do something which is probably not news to anyone that's owned one. I think it's really hard to overstate how great of a value the Archon is.

12. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

Glad you like the Archon! I recommend boosting the presence at low volume to get that bite back. You may want to rebalance the depth as well.

LSchefman and bodia like this.
  13. DreamTheaterRules

Yes and yes! Plus, one thing that had helped my tone at lower volumes with every amp I've ever tried... hit it with a boost. Wakes the tone up at lower volume. Try it.

bodia, ScottR and LSchefman like this.
  14. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I was going to suggest the same thing.

Also, one problem of low volume is the Fletcher-Munson Curve, that tells us that at lower volume we hear less bass and less treble. So you might want to boost the bass and treble at low volumes.

15. DreamTheaterRules

Absolutely. And with the Archon, the Presence and Depth controls cover some of the same area of compensation. The depth control, to me, feels more like a low end amp “damping” control more than a bass control. So at low volumes, it can fill in the bottom, but when you turn it up and want to tighten up the bottom, turn the depth down.
    IMHO, it’s a very well thought out and very nicely functional control which adds a really nice control for “bedroom to stage” volumes, over an aspect of the amp that is normally “fixed.”

Alnus Rubra, bodia and LSchefman like this.
  16. strat63

strat63 New Member

I was working with a boost last night and it definitely helps with lower volume fizz on the lead channel. Most of the time was spent with my old Strat with low output pickups. I was quite happy with the sound.

Alnus Rubra, elvis, bodia and 2 others like this.