Well I Did It. New Archon Day

strat63

The Torture Never Stops
I while back I asked here if anyone was using their Achons with single coil guitars. Seeing as it's billed as a high gain amp I would assume most use humbuckers with it. I lean towards the cleaner side of things playing a Telecaster most of the time. On paper this is not the amp for me but....

I bought the 50 watt combo today. It turns out the clean channel is pretty incredible which I'm sure many of you know. I was considering a Fender Deluxe Reverb but I couldn't pass up a great price on a NOS Archon. It might be lacking reverb but I can make up for that with a pedal. I gained quite a lead channel that I can use on those few times that I want to pummel people into submission.

Most like likely I will live on the clean channel and use pedals for most sounds. Unfortunately I have none right now as I sold everything when I went down the modeling rabbit hole. This Archon is my first step in simplifying my rig. I'm not sure where to start for pedals but I'm sure it will be fun.

I did have an opportunity to play some high gain with my PS CU22 at close to stage volumes today and could see how that would be addictive. I don't think I'll change the speaker in the combo but I may add a closed back cab for a different sound.

I blame the all enablers here for the purchase.

There’s a good enablee! The Archin is quite versatile - a lot of tones in there. I think you’ll have a blast. Congrats!!!

Nice score! Archon is the well kept secret that everyone should know about. I love my Bogner Burnley in front of he Archon clean channel.

Reactions: jxe
Congrats!!!! And, don't be afraid of that gain channel. It is incredibly versatile, for a high gain amp. Tele guy, huh? Put it in Triode mode (25 watts) and if you can't find MULTIPLE tones on that gain channel that you LOVE, then you just aren't trying. You want smooth-fat? Singing? Just some "solo" gain? Or just about anything else you could want.... it's there and and it's there with QUALITY tones. You're gonna love this!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was playing it with a Friedman Dirty Shirley overdrive last night and it sounded seriously good into the clean channel. They claim it's based on a JTM45 but it's got a lot more gain on tap. Fun pedal.

Not my place to tell you how to use the amp. But if it were, I'd suggest spending the first few weeks with just the amp and a boost.

Yes, it has a great clean channel, and it handles pedals great, but the OD channel is just SOOOOO great! Just dial it to sound like the pedal, then see which is better. ;)

Not my place to tell you how to use the amp. But if it were, I'd suggest spending the first few weeks with just the amp and a boost.

Yes, it has a great clean channel, and it handles pedals great, but the OD channel is just SOOOOO great! Just dial it to sound like the pedal, then see which is better. ;)

You've become the Yoda of the Archon. I still remember the days when you didn't have one.....:p

All I can add is.......TOLD YOU SO!

Last edited:

Funny you should mention that. Today I spent all my time on the lead channel using the DS as a boost. The pedal has treble, mid, bass, and presence controls so you can really dial it in. Good stuff.

Funny you should mention that. Today I spent all my time on the lead channel using the DS as a boost. The pedal has treble, mid, bass, and presence controls so you can really dial it in. Good stuff.

Thanks to information shared by the guys on here, I’ve been doing the same thing with my non-PRS tube amp, using a Tech-21 NYC “Oxford” pedal.

Similar results by the sounds of it. The tone and character controls really enable you to dial in some great sounds.

This forum rocks!

You've become the Yoda of the Archon. I still remember the days when you didn't have one.....:p

All I can add is.......TOLD YOU SO!

That was like another life! Kind of like BC and AD! But its BA and AA!

And more than a few “told me so.” But only YOU made it happen!

I think the Archon is a very solid amp at a great price point but it's not quite perfect. I'd like a little reverb on the clean channel so I'll need to buy a pedal for that. It's also a little different sound for me. I've played Boogies since the late 80's and the gain isn't quite as smooth. If those sounds are in there, I haven't found them yet.

On the positive side, once I get the reverb sorted out the clean channel will be just about perfect for my single coil guitars. Worth the cost of the amp. Getting the gain side dialed in will be icing on the cake.

I mentioned in the OP that I made the leap in modeling. It ended up not quite being satisfying. Now I'm looking at adding a Fractal FX8 to my Archon so I get the best of both worlds.

Back