Weird Wiring on my CU24 killing me

srmd22

So, I have a 2010 CU24 that I bought used, which I love. This particular guitar has a 3-way toggle and a push-pull coil tap on the tone knob. I am learning that this unusual for the CU24 (in fact, I myself have another with the 5-way blade, and I have played tons of them with the 5-position knob-job).

Anyhoo - I decided to throw a set of Wolfetones in this one for fun - Marshallhead Alnico 2 bridge and Dr. Vintage neck - and boy, holy crap do they sound awesome! Except... the middle position is out of phase!

Now, hold on, hold on, I know what you are going to say! But I did that - I emailed Wolfe and told him what guitar they were going in, and he sent me a set with one having the flipped coil, and both having short legs and 4 leads, which is supposed to be what the CU24 calls for in order to have the proper coil splitting, fit and phase settings. Well... it didn't work. I mean the coils split well, the pickups sound grrrrreat individually, but the middle position, blech.

Now, I was at the shop when my buddy/shop owner/tech took off the back plate, and we noticed (well, he noticed and pointed out) that in this guitar, the pups had only three leads, and he surmised there must be some compensatory wiring inside the pups themselves. However, he said it should be no problem, and he could still wire it with the way the pickups were, 4 leads and all, no problem. He must not have checked the middle position before he finished testing the guitar, and I did not plug it in before I left, because I had family up for new year's and didn't want to hang out too long. But tonight, when I got around to playing a few tunes for the family and simultaneously testing the new pups, when flipped to the middle position, I thought "holy crap that is one thin, nasally sounding middle position, wtf?"

Well, my question is, does anyone know, first of all, how is it my guitar has a toggle instead of a blade or knob-job selector (I way more love the toggle, but why is mine the only one with it - after market or special order, or temporary run of production PRSi)? That is one question. Another one is, is this configuration one in which you do NOT want one of the pups to have a flipped coil, hence my sad results with this project? I am not sure how to fix this little issue, I have some emails to Wolfe and to my tech, so we will see.

Any advice or insights will be most appreciated, thank you.

Meanwhile, Happy New Year!

i thought the pickup setup was for a 5 way or rotary. using a 3 way toggle would call for a normal non- prs spec pickup. I can be wrong on this.

The 3-way toggle was an option on those guitars for a while. So they're a little unusual, but they're out there. I could be wrong, but I think for the 3-way toggle you don't want the flipped coil.

What you guys are saying about the toggle using the regular non-PRS orientation makes sense. However, at Wolfe's instructions, I checked out the old hfs/vb set, and it does look like they have the flipped coil. (If you hold them facing each other, with the screws facing screws and slugs facing slugs, they attract, meaning the magnets are flipped according Wolfe). We think it might be a simple wiring thing - apparently the black and red leads are not always the same from maker to maker. If switching the wire doesn't work, we will have to take off the pickup cover, and undo the flipped magnet. A bit of a hassle. I'll keep everyone posted.

Good news! My tech guy flipped the black and red leads on one p/u, and it is fixed!

Back