Weird Resonance on Special 22

eliju

I'm having a weird resonance when playing the 3rd string around the 5th-7th frets. It's on the 4th higher up but it's most prominent on the 3rd in that area. If i look at an analyzer I can see a big spike around 250hz. It does move up slightly if I play higher. I know it's not fret buzz and it does it on all pickups. It's so weird because it almost overpowers the note, especially as it begins to decay. What could it be? I thought it was the pickups being too high but it's not that. And usually really high pickups make the note kind of warble. This sounds like something possibly vibrating but I have no idea what. It's not the other strings because it sounds even when they're muted. Could it be the electronics or something? I'm stumped

After checking my custom 22 it has the same thing, just not nearly as prominent. Maybe I'm just hypersensitive to it or there's something up with my Axe Fx. At least I can rule out the guitar being the issue. I find it weird I never noticed before so maybe the 22 special just accentuates it more somehow? I'll test tomorrow with my tube amp when I can crank it and see if it's there then.

Back