Watch this! If you can...

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
I have never had an issue with heights. I climb all day, no biggy. But... it was all I could do to watch this without wincing the whole time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagined mt death at least five times during that, I won't be watching the video of the trip down.

I made it 6 minutes into the video before nausea, dizzyness and fear became the overwhelming knot in my gut. This is definitely not a line of work I could adjust to.

Many years ago, my dad used to tell me about the Native Americans who were involved in early skyscraper construction in NYC because they had an innate balance and did not fear heights. I get dizzy just looking at the pictures.

Not them....but symbolic of:

article-2206050-0059AA091000044C-332_964x756.jpg

article-2206050-151C4663000005DC-78_964x677.jpg

Last edited:
That's what my dad does, only in Scottland :wink: Been up one with him that was 1450ft going up is fine getting down was a bit iffy but you get used to it

That's what my dad does, only in Scottland :wink: Been up one with him that was 1450ft going up is fine getting down was a bit iffy but you get used to it

Maybe YOU might get used to it....I can't even get used to watching the video. :eek:

I like heights, and the few times I've had the chance to go up in a tower I've loved it (Reunion in Dallas for example). But climbing up out in the open like this, and to this height? Talk about brave...

Goldtop

I had a chance once to climb a local broadcast tower to help with some ham radio antenna stuff (I hold an Advanced license), but couldn't work it for the day the guys were planning.

I would have gone without reservation.

With my camera.

I can see that eh climb down would be worse than going up as you would necessarily be looking down all the time instead of up.

Still....

I'd go.

What about jumping from extreme heights? And flying/gliding?

Goldtop

Last edited by a moderator:
For all of the OSHA rules out there(some ridiculous ones at that), I can't believe they are allowed to free climb any distance at that height.
Can you imagine wind blowing while free climbing at that height???? HELL NO.

I worked at an architectural firm, and one of the guys, at his retirement party, was telling me how he worked on the Sears tower (architectural aspects of it), and he said people would work ONE DAY on construction there, and never show up again because of the heights they had to work at.

This also reminds me of an episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe helped change lightbulbs or something on a suspension bridge, walking all across it at the top slopes. After they finished, the guide showed him the elevator that was at the end.

In the clip, the narrator mentioned that there was no fast way down in the event of a lightening storm. I disagree. That would actually be a pretty simple base jump. And... you could set your chute to auto-deploy at 500 feet in case you lost consciousness (or slipped) and fell off.

How much does an emergency-style parachute weigh?

Just think of the conditioning - cardio and otherwise - you have to be in to do that job. Amazing. I wonder if any medical studies have ever been done where they monitor the heartrates, etc. of those workers.

Goldtop

Why do they wear helmets? What possible protection could it provide?

But really, I can't believe that's a job. How is that not the most dangerous job in existence?

Back